cirrusRC

Glider Motor wires sprung loaded to side

cirrusRC

When motor wires come out of the side of motor,  I've see pictures posted here before of spring clips used to keep the wires to the side of the fuselage and away from motor can.     Before I start fashioning something myself,  just wondered if these are commercially available or what do people normally use?     Google is not throwing up anything of use.

thanks

pete beadle

Hi cirrus RC

It is my understanding that"people who know these things" buy motors that are fitted with motor wires exiting from the rear of the motor.

If they are forced to use a motor where the motor wires exit from the side, they use motors fitted with gearboxes so the motor wires exit further into the nose where the nose-cone widens, and lastly, if they really HAVE to use a motor with motor wires  exiting on the side of the motor, they cut a slot in the fuselage side, wide enough and long enough, to  ensure the motor wires are not compressed or kinked by the fuselage side.

If the motor wires of the motor you are using are not kinked or compressed on installation, you don't need a "spring clip" you just need to use some kind of flexible adhesive that fixes the motor wires to the inside of the fuselage to ensure the wires stay well away from the rotating "can"

What you are doing here is exactly what you need to do, you are asking for expert advice from people who know these things ie BARCS members that fly models fitted with electric motors either for sport or competition.....

I promise you you'll soon be inundated with helpful advice, more helpful than mine anyway... :yes: Hang on in there.........

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

tonym

For my outrunners my gliders have a motor shield made of a piece of plastic like this:
(Plastic comes from washing pod box)

motor_sheild.png.c1d67cb731ce5dfa478d7850a1c633c1.png

• Thanks 1

cirrusRC

thank you both.     Pete - that was the one I'd seen before.

Feefo

I think it was Tony Fu who used some sort of aerosol/bottle cap to keep the wires out of the way. Not sure but it might have been on a Bird E 60" install which was on T9's site some years ago

EssexBOF
On 16/03/2020 at 11:37, PeteMitchell said:

Tony's shield works well and is worth trying.

I used the bent wire method on a good number of models. Depending how much room you have it can work very well.

Here is where I got my ideas from:

https://www.reisenauer.de/aid-2024-Wire-Protection-br-Kabelschutz-fuer-enge-Ruempfe.html

I have used the above method, but made my own versions, which work well. Before I used that method, I used to arrange the wires so as they laid parallel to one another. Then slid heat shrink over them & shrunk it, so as they stayed in that position.  Evostick Impact adhesive, was then applied to the outside of the heat  shrink holding the wires and to the inside of fuselage, where the wires will lay.  A long piece of heat shrink is then slid over the wire assembly whilst installing the motor.  The carefully slide heat shrink off, whilst pushing the wire assembly against the side of fuselage, so as it is stuck in place. You might need something like a stiff piece of plastic to  push them into place if room is limited.

The SK3 Glider Drive motors, with the wires exiting the back of the motor are a doddle, from this point of view.

PS To get the motor out apply cellulose thinners to the Evostick to unbond it

• Like 1

AnthonyB

I use heat shrink tubing similar to above. In a really tight fuz, I put the motor in backwards. With 2.5mm wires and a 28mm motor, the smallest fuz is 33mm (inside) and 34mm outside.