Flying DLG during the current situation

mikef

Just a thought.

For those with a competitive urge, flying in isolation or in small groups can be more interesting when you have an aim.  We have the duration challenges but they tend to need perfect weather and the F3K enthusiasts  may feel the need for something nearer to the task-based approach they are used to that maybe doesn’t end up needing an exceptional day to make it count.

One accessible-to-all challenge we used to fly was to set a count-down timer to 10 minutes and see how many 50 second flights you could make in the time.  11 is possible.  You'll need a flight timer in your Tx programme if you don't have a helper - some radios will do this with audible prompts to help.

There are loads of options.  Post your ideas and we can sort out a few, set up challenges and keep a check on results.  Remember to make them suitable for the lone flyer with basic equipment if possible.

EDIT APRIL 21ST

Since this first post, Government advice has changed and while model flying is not currently formally seen as 'exercise', which is permitted, the BMFA advises us to stay at home.

• Like 2

thechalster

A good one to try is the number of flights you can make without having to make a step to pick up the model before relaunch.  

f3k is not all about duration flying and high launches,  time getting the model back in your hand ready to launch is time lost.

• 3 weeks later...
Marc RC pilot

Good idea.

Am I ok to go out to my local field for a DLG sesh?

Can DLG be considered a form of exercise/where do we stand on this issue?

Many thanks

Its a personal decision really. I see launching a DLG as exercise - I'm knackered after an hour. Also flying is great for our mental health.

As long as you are well away from others hopefully no one is going to bother you. Its busy if I can see 6 people when I'm flying in the meadow next to my local recreation ground, and they're 100m or more away from where I'm standing.

SilentPilot

I could walk to a field and fly DLG or electric but so far I've resisted.

These Virtual flying comps that have sprung up are a welcome relief for now! 

Yep, round here if I went flying Id either get fined by the police or at the very least named and shamed.

All my other outdoor hobbies have been pretty much banned now so I wouldn’t go flying either. 

Although as a kidney transplant patient I’m not risking going out anyway, which is super difficult as I’m going crazy being locked in 😂

I walk to the Richmond Park flying site (cycles currently not allowed in the park)  I have been about 3 or 4 times and only seen one drone guy there one time, so it's pretty solitary.  I have seen the park police drive by and they have not bothered me.  

As for a challenge to keep it interesting and practice for comps, I usually fly 2min flights in repetition.  Besides being an actual task (5x2min) I find this allows a good mix of skills as even a high launcher will not be able to do repeated 2min flights without finding some lift unless the conditions are stupid easy.  Allows you to practice returning to the same lift as previous flight, spotting new lift before a flight, fast turnarounds, recovering when you make an error or struggle in bad air etc etc.  

I do then to mix it up with some longer flights of 5-10mins especially if the conditions are difficult.  It is good to get used to longer flights and what is required to do these, such as staying focussed for that much time, flying high and far away, using multiple thermals etc.  

• Like 1

I'm lucky. My field is behind a padlocked gate closed to the public. There is never anyone else there. And it's a fair distance away from the populous.

Good advice from Mike.    Going back to the same lift is an important skill.   And when it's gone too far downwind - scouting new lift prior to landing so you can launch back into it.  All against the clock of course.

Marc RC pilot

Thanks for all the replies regarding DLG/lockdown etc.

My local field is a 10 min walk away so should be ok. I might ask my local PC for further advise before I take any chances.  

Those glider sims look interesting :)  

Thanks again chaps!

Just to be the voice of doom, I work on the assumption , if you have to ask if it’s ok  it probably isn’t.

(read , I asked the Mrs she said no !!) 😂

dave

Marc RC pilot

I think in order to preserve life as we know it, I think its always best to agree with the Mrs Dave... :D

Good point you make.

I’m going stir crazy, what you’re looking at is the view from my window. That is where I fly , 100 yds at best , it’s killing me in this weather not to go and fly..

F3FEDFC8-2CCB-4A34-8868-C1F2BC5097DB.jpeg

It’s all private land and I know the guy who owns it, it’s all good with him , but even so I’m curtailing my my flying for now

It’s an interesting about byelaws tho. My local borough . (Reigate and Banstead) confirmed there are no buelaws in place to restrict me flying a model aircraft other than noise nuisance (not an issue for dlg obviously)

but strangely the commons conservators have put up notices saying no model aircraft and referring to a byelaw that doesn’t exist on their webpage which is a cut and paste of the boroughs byelaws.

so far they’ve been unable to provide a copy of the byelaw despite repeated requests

Edited by Dave H

StraightEdge

Its certainly a strange one.  An acquaintance of mine has been cycling a total of 600km and running half-marathon distances each week in the rural locality, and I walk my puppy early each day along numerous tracks stretching out from the village (or sometimes drive a couple of minutes or so up onto the Downs  proper where he can run more freely).  But I'd mither about taking advantage of this superb weather to fly a 1m DLG or even a 13" Peanut rubber scale FF model?!

Just as soon as I've finished my current balsa model (a 16" Pilatus Porter floatplane for indoor FF electric), I'm going to open the still sealed box that contains the Auri I bought from Hyperflight a year ago (!) and get that ready.  There are loads of completely empty fields (fallow, sheep-less, people-free) within a five minute drive/walk from here... and there'll come a time where either the lockdown will ease slightly (become more nuanced as to what activities are really risky and what are effectively completely safe) or more people will start making those decisions for themselves.

This isn't to condone or encourage edjuts having BBQ parties in the local park etc, just to quietly get on with life without any risk to myself, others, the NHS or Michael Gove's knife-drawer.

Might try that, luckily as I say , the field I normally use is privately owned. 

but would be nice to have a better (read flatter ) field , I can think of one where I might just pop off an email , you never know 😉

• Like 1

My flying is over till the lock down is eased.  Police stopped me flying at Richmond park yesterday.  I asked him what it was doing wrong and he said as far he could see, nothing, but I might encourage other to come and fly and they might act irresponsibly.  🤔

• Sad 1

I think that if your account is accurate  that policeman should be fired instantly. That’s just ridiculous.