Flying DLG during the current situation

mikef

It was not MikeF flying, it was me.  

I live near the park, so I walk to the flying site. And I position my self at least 50m from the various pathways so I keep myself pretty safe from transmission of the virus. Certainly safer than runners as they pass each other on some of the paths. 

Like PaulR, flying dlg is my outdoor exercise.  I don’t expect the government to list every single form of exercise that is permissible, but you get the idea, be safe.  And was being safe.  No one was any near me.  

What annoyed me, besides not being able to fly there anymore, was the policeman’s reasons for making me stop.  I was very polite and acknowledged that his job is difficult.  Especially considering all the irresponsible behaviour I see every time I go to the park for a walk.  I was just an easy target.   Unfortunately even though he realised what I was doing was actually safe and a form of exercise, there was no way he was going to change his mind about telling me to stop.

And I don’t think he should be fired.  I do think that in general, the park police could do a better job and stop the actual irresponsible behaviour both during this strange time and ‘normal’ times. 

I am not going to back and try my luck and make their and my life difficult.   And just to note, I think that was the 4 or 5 time I have flown there since this all began and I have seen a police car drive past every time and they haven’t  bothered me. 

Mikes mixed up John - MikeDLG flies in Richmond Park, mikef doesn't.

We cannot be seen to be enjoying ourselves in public, in a private field it shouldn't be an issue. We are not supposed to go out unless for good reason, exercise  is ok, and launching a DLG is definitely exercise but then there's the fun part of flying it. Fun is the problem, if others see someone having it and they can't they get upset and . . . .

1 hour ago, tonym said:

Mikes mixed up John - MikeDLG flies in Richmond Park, mikef doesn't.

Apologies to both of you.

• Like 2

StraightEdge
1 hour ago, tonym said:

We cannot be seen to be enjoying ourselves in public, in a private field it shouldn't be an issue. We are not supposed to go out unless for good reason, exercise  is ok, and launching a DLG is definitely exercise but then there's the fun part of flying it. Fun is the problem...

Sums it up perfectly!

Its not about the application of common-sense, any cool assessment of the actual risks, carefulness, etc - its about not being allowed to get away with exceptionalism.

The exceptions of course are the super-fit - like a local acquaintance of mine who cycles 600km a week and runs the equivalent of a marathon on various cross-country routes in the same time-frame (when not teaching music to her students via Zoom).

Oops.  Please read previous posts carefully before you chip in. I stated  a simple and indisputable fact and I got 'shot down in flames"?

Then I got words put into my mouth.    Nobody is saying that, 'their need to use Richmond park, just because it is an approved flying site, makes all of these safety requirements irrelevant' - in fact I have no need to use the park and I haven't been there for several years - I live 20 miles away!

Here's Google Maps - note that the flying field is marked.

9E937C20-E3C3-4F0D-9E15-C80798F7F9FC.png

thechalster

Let’s stir things up and have a proper debate.

Any Flat earthers out there?

Rumour has it that they are not sticking to the 2 meter rule.   They think it will push some people over the edge.

😀😀😀😀

pete beadle

Hi all

Over the years I've noticed that it seems to be the case that members tend to concentrate on their own favourite class/type of flying and seem not to have read posts in other parts of the forum that can be relevant to their, or all other, flying classes

For instance - has anyone see/read David Woods' post yesterday reference DMFV? (under News and Information)

In it, David suggests that the President of the DMFV is putting a case forward to resume model flying and seems to be suggesting reasons on similar lines to some of the posts raised here. So, I'm thinking that a lot  of the DMFV President's points are relevant to the points made here - what do you think? ...... BTW don't be worried that the post seems to be in German - there is a translation in English for non linguists:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Top post edited to reflect the current situation - a lot has changed in the last month and the original purpose of the thread is gone.

Build, repair, update and use your simulators until life starts to return to normal.

I genuinely thank everyone for their contribution to this thread, no less the people that I might disagree with.

Firstly, I do not have any affiliation with any model flying club. I am socially coerced into buying insurance with BMFA, even though it is not necessary legally or (I consider) practically for my personal DLG flying. 

Secondly, the BMFA statements are advisory and also use pretty watered down language for their basis (avoiding non essential travel). However since this is written, the police guidance has been updated to state that driving to an exercise spot is in keeping with the rules. As I am not a social flyer, I do not generally meet with other people.  The BMFA guidance is heavily slanted to club/event flyers.

I understand the point that we don't want to appear like 'exceptionalists', however I would rather not see people assume that there is some kind of authority that we are all signed up to which regulates our activity top-down. The moral element, which is invoked in the 'exceptionalism' argument,  is a decision for all of us individually, and I don't really agree with it personally. I would prefer to explain things to people than to pander to irrationalism.

I find it useful to hear what other model glider pilots attitudes are. The main purpose of this post is to suggest that it is worthy of more discussion, and find ways to mitigate any problems that arise from flying- be it social, health, or otherwise.

5 hours ago, mikef said:

Top post edited to reflect the current situation - a lot has changed in the last month and the original purpose of the thread is gone.

Build, repair, update and use your simulators until life starts to return to normal.

100% Mike.

All day long we could argue why f3k is not normal model flying and is exercise! But are we not insured with the BMFA and follow their guidelines? 

Someone recently said to me, 'when you can't go fishing or play golf then to go model flying is taking the p$$$'.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GeoffN said:

closed season for river coarse fishing till June 15th anyway.

But not for fly-fishing .  😀  Which arguably involves a lot more exercise than coarse fishing as you are constantly casting or retrieving the line.   However, I can't see people waking up in normal times and saying I am off  for a spot fishing or DLG ing  to do my daily exercise - they are leisure activities like Golf, bowls, etc.  not a primary means of exercise.   So if you are not fishing or DLG ing at home you are surely breaking the guidelines  or desperately looking for loop hole at the very best and certainly not complying with the spirit of the rules

StraightEdge

I'm rather afraid that I've let the side down then...

A few minute's drive from my home is a small slope on open access land.  I can see it from my house and I can see the village from there.  It involves no physical interaction with anyone or any object apart from my own gate, the car and a few minutes of grassy ground under the soles of my shoes - and there is ZERO difference between driving to the exact same spot to walk the dog on the same ground.

Depending on the wind direction and strength/gusts it can be quite smooth but also suddenly very turbulent.  Its ideal for a small model, so I've taken the GO Mini there.  Not the best optimised type for the activity (and totally unsuited to hard landings!) but very satisfying to join the half dozen or so kites working the lift from low down and also rising up high on thermals.

In the meantime the countryside hereabouts is being used - as it always has been - by various walkers, runners, cyclists and horse-riders.  My own lockdown-busting is very low-key and entirely safe and NOT intended to encourage others to do anything more than stay at home and get pissed (which is arguably a greater potential call on the emergency services!).

So the real question is not whether I should feel guilty in the slightest, but whether I should buy an Ahi as my ideal local small slope aerobatic hack - and whether I order it from Hyperflight or T9HobbySport ?

😷

Difficult topic. However, relating to your zero difference point; it was clearly stated, in one of the afternoon briefings, that driving anywhere to walk a dog is not an essential journey and should not be done!

I have temptations too as just hopping over my rear garden fence would put me in a fallow field ideal for practicing with my DLG. So far I haven’t succumbed.

I personally long for the day that throughout the land the intent of the law has precedence over the letter of the law. After all, a vast amount of the legal profession make big money in finding loopholes to distort or avoid justice 😔

As for the choice of Ahi and the vendor, that’s another personal decision you should make, and in the most part is unlikely to have life-threatening results.

StraightEdge

Good points, but national edicts simply cannot account for the myriad of realities on the ground. 

I.E.  I can walk the dog on various footpaths around the village - but this involves having to open and close various gates (infection-points) and often pass very close (<2m)  to older people from the retirement village nearby using some of the narrow footpaths, etc.   Also, his being a six-month old puppy of working dog stock in training, I need to get to open ground where I can work on his recall, long-distance waiting, etc, as well as let him burn off surplus energy.  Driving for a few minutes up a white road achieves this, and once using the car, I can then drive home via the supermarket - thus reducing two journeys down to one.

Things I am NOT doing at the moment:

• Working
  • Volunteering
  • Seeing friends
  • Helping elderly neighbours
  • Getting a haircut
  • Sailing / boat-maintenance
  • Going to the local bookshop or library
  • Going to the pub, cinema, theatre or music venues
  • Seeing my teenage son (ex-wife is a doctor and has a different interpretation of both the letter and spirit of the law; family courts currently unavailable for enforcement)
  • Flying power RC or slope soaring at a proper site
  • Etc

Tomorrow the weather is forecast be relatively very calm, so I'm going to take my brand-new 16" rubber scale model (which I've spent the whole of the last month indoors making) to the field over my garden fence (not available for dog-training as way too much distracting sheep-poo for him to eat) and trim it to fly in circles roughly the width of the school sports hall we normally use every month for indoor FF.

I'll put my hands up - as I'm clearly culpable of stretching the spirit of the one-size-fits-all-dogs guidance (or is it law?) - but I'm not neglecting my personal health and wellbeing, nor that of the puppy, and am not endangering anyone by doing so.  Nor do I believe that by stating my case I'm encouraging anyone else to  follow suite with either self-evidently harmless activities of their own or indeed patently dangerous ones, like...err.... cycling...

It’s important to remember that government guidance is not the law. For instance, the rule that you only go out once a day, for a walk cannot be enforced by law. Whilst I wouldn’t encourage it, you can go out for exercise, as many times as you like. 

The often used phrase, “ignorance of the law , is no excuse” works both ways. I do have a lot of sympathy for the police, as a lot of people, were at the back of the queue when common sense was dished out. That applies to all classes of our society. 

I see no reason why we shouldn’t keep our small suppliers of our hobby in work, by ordering online. 

StraightEdge
4 minutes ago, Mikeb52 said:

I see no reason why we shouldn’t keep our small suppliers of our hobby in work, by ordering online. 

Absolutely.

In the meantime, the headless chickens in and around Downing Street need to start doing some real thinking - and sooner rather than later!

Not worried here about my particular hobbies - more thinking about the cost to 60 million people in terms of people's deteriorating mental health, also other serious diseases that aren't getting diagnosed or treated, lost education, domestic violence, the catastrophic harm to the economy, etc.  The only beneficiary of the lockdown is nature and the environment (which is a good thing, but isn't the point right now).

2 minutes ago, StraightEdge said:

Absolutely.

In the meantime, the headless chickens in and around Downing Street need to start doing some real thinking - and sooner rather than later!

Not worried here about my particular hobbies - more thinking about the cost to 60 million people in terms of people's deteriorating mental health, also other serious diseases that aren't getting diagnosed or treated, lost education, domestic violence, the catastrophic harm to the economy, etc.  The only beneficiary of the lockdown is nature and the environment (which is a good thing, but isn't the point right now).

Couldn’t agree more! The exit could be the biggest challenge of all, and the way society reacts to it. 

• Like 1

While we are debating with our consciences, life is going by. If you can convince yourself that an activity is genuinely harmless and rewarding then the legitimacy or otherwise of it could perhaps be regarded as being a secondary consideration. You could also probably explain the activity to authorities if necessary. The problem comes that when too many people convince themselves too readily then there are too many about. The guidance we have is for all of us, wise and unwise rather like speed limits.  I think that if an activity such as model gliding is harmless and rewarding and can be carried out without attracting much attention, then no reasonable person should object to it. I would hop over that fence and fly now and again but be careful it didn't fly away.

• Sad 1

StraightEdge

It nearly did!  Lovely thermals this afternoon... but not what I needed for a small free-flight rubber model with no DT! 😅 

• Haha 1