Flying DLG during the current situation

mikef

pete beadle

Hi Straight Edge

I had the pleasure of watching a newly arrived pair of Red Kites give me a thermal seeking and enjoyment masterclass yesterday evening

The pair drifted down the Western edge of the M1 motorway, tails working like crazy, rest of the "fuselage" and wings hardly moving, in complete silence .....beautiful!

Here's hoping that they like HA8 and decide to settle here.....we've got loads of roadkill to offer, (their main urban food source),  the biggest thermal generator for miles - the M1, loads of tall trees waving hello alongside the hard shoulder(s) to show them the wind strength and direction.....surely a desirable des res for a couple such as they?

Let's hope they like it as a starter home......:thumbsup::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 2

Richard Swindells
On 23/04/2020 at 12:26, CTR said:

Difficult topic. However, relating to your zero difference point; it was clearly stated, in one of the afternoon briefings, that driving anywhere to walk a dog is not an essential journey and should not be done!

There have been briefings suggesting people inject themselves with "Cillit-bang" and shove a tanning machine up their a###.

;)

The most dangerous place is the supermarket... and I wonder if any of us are disinfecting what arrives through the letter box? 

I've been doing lots of flying since the lockdown.. built a couple of new models too and the FPV police are taking a nap while the airspace is quiet.  

I have also been very responsible with the necessary precautions and the necessary distancing ... I'm at the largest distance from anyone when I'm stood in the middle of a field.. and I don't pass anyone on the way there... only issue is if the wind changes and Boris sneezes, as he's only a couple of miles away 

• Like 2

pete beadle

Hi Richard

The biggest problem that people are just NOT talking about, is the almost complete lack of testing available to the general public.

It's quite simple.....if you haven't been tested you just CANNOT start ignoring distancing rules and suchlike, because you just can't say you're OK because you just don't KNOW for sure, do you? 

It just isn't fair on others

So many people are blithely stating that they have been doing X and have had no problems here.....I'm sorry but you simply can't say that.......if you haven't been tested you cannot say this....... you just don't know for certain:no:

The next few weeks are going to be crucial.....if we still carry on saying, "look, I'm breaking the rules and it doesn't seem to be a problem" this WILL become a self-fulfilling prophesy of the worst kind, that can only hurt us all........how many people have to die before we understand this?

PLEASE think of others before you decide to do something/anything that could impact others - PLEASE ........ it's not funny, it's not smart, it's not cool, but it IS something you should be thinking about right now:( isn't it?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

StraightEdge

From today's Sunday Times.

I think that is by Kenwood House on Hampstead Heath, photo presumably taken in the last few days.

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 08.53.22.png

Some interesting factoids are available if you drill down into the HMG select committee transcripts. I.E.  " says Prof Sir David Spiegelhalter “Twenty thousand deaths represents a huge amount of illness, human pain and personal loss,. "But it's also important to remember that, although Covid-19 is a far more serious illness than seasonal flu, in each of the winters of 2014-5 and 2017-18 there were over 26,000 deaths associated with flu, which did not receive much attention."

I for one am getting tired of the continual media focus on deaths and not recoveries. A friend in Canada told me last week that the Canadian press are focussing on Recoveries . Air time is 90% Recoveries and deaths 10%.   Also FYI in Canada it is now illegal to use reusable shopping bags in supermarkets, single use only to prevent inward transmission of the virus. Why do t we do the same?  Also No Browsing allowed, straight in, buy, leave. Strict one way system in all supermarkets enforced by staff. 

• Like 2

On 23/04/2020 at 12:26, CTR said:

Difficult topic. However, relating to your zero difference point; it was clearly stated, in one of the afternoon briefings, that driving anywhere to walk a dog is not an essential journey and should not be done!

I have temptations too as just hopping over my rear garden fence would put me in a fallow field ideal for practicing with my DLG. So far I haven’t succumbed.

I personally long for the day that throughout the land the intent of the law has precedence over the letter of the law. After all, a vast amount of the legal profession make big money in finding loopholes to distort or avoid justice 😔

As for the choice of Ahi and the vendor, that’s another personal decision you should make, and in the most part is unlikely to have life-threatening results.

Re driving, this is no longer correct. The police permit driving to a site if less time spent in the car than out of it doing the relevant activity.

(Not that the police guidance is determintive, it is just a helpful interpretation and knowledge of how they may attempt to enforce).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/COVID-19/Documents/What-constitutes-a-reasonable-excuse.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjD053p7IXpAhXON8AKHYjMDfEQFjABegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw2TGvBnKDHW7_Xf1DzKgYnT&cshid=1587898285810

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hong Kong, even with its Proximity to china. No lockdown. Tiny death count. Taiwan no lockdown. Tiny death count. South korea no lockdown, small death count.

What do all these nations have in common ? They put massive resources into test, track, case isolate and then sensible and proportionate social distancing and face masks that do not insult but uphold individual intelligence and freedoms.

Sweden. No lockdown. Result? Similar if not better trajectory to other euro countries with similar testing incapacity. (Testing capacity and case isolation in early stage being the only correlation among successful countries). Let's see ultimately how Sweden compares after a few months.

Getting the R value to below 1 can be done without lockdowns and the vast majority of citizens will use common sense to avoid transmission enough to get it under control without these Stalinist measures.

PHE, NHS strategists and UK ministers have failed and are still failing. I'm not saying lockdowns arent effective: they are, but they are completely disproportionate.

I do not need my behaviour dictated by incompetents if it will make very little difference- like flying a glider on my own. This is not being selfish or smart, it is maintaining a sense of proportion within a grotesque populist response arising from incompetent officialdom.

Incompetence and inability to adapt going back years.

If lockdowns were the only measure available and govt had failed for reasons beyond their control then I would be more willing to comply with the police guidelines.

If the govt states, 'yes we have failed and because of this we need you to go beyond what the law requires in lockdown until we have sorted out our testing and case tracking teams which will be up and running in x weeks'  I'm happy complying with their draconian interpretations of the law. They have not stated this yet. There is no identifiable or proportionate  plan. At the moment I am happy complying with the  law as is,  which is to only leave the house for a reasonable excuse. This includes flying a DLG until new legislation clarifies or puts more restrictions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Richard

The biggest problem that people are just NOT talking about, is.... etc etc

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

No need for all that, we obviously are all thinking about our actions.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PeterjK said:

Hong Kong, even with its Proximity to china. No lockdown. Tiny death count. Taiwan no lockdown. Tiny death count. South korea no lockdown, small death count.

Blah, blah, blah,  blah,  blah,  blah,  blah,  blah,  blah,  blah,  blah,  blah, blah, rubish, political crap.

moment I am happy complying with the  law as is,  which is to only leave the house for a reasonable excuse. This includes flying a DLG until new legislation clarifies or puts more restrictions.

What utter crap.

Exactly what qualifies you to spout rubbish you have found on the internet as fact?

10 posts and 7 of them are on this thread, enough said.

I don't need political crap rammed down my throat on a hobby forum, there are plenty of other more informed places I could go for that.

Perhaps this thread should be closed by a moderator before it gets completely out of hand.

Anyway PeterJK is now hidden so I  won't see any more of his ill informed opinion.

• Thanks 1

Dang, near perfect conditions today.  Opted for a bike ride to Brill instead.   Red kites everywhere and a nice site for dlg soaring........if only.

We've been so lucky to have this amazing weather.  Imagine lock down in December!! Cold and dark with Xmas cancelled.

Those press pictures are pretty lame.  With a big enough lens you can compress foreground/ background and make people look much closer than they are.   Just the usual clickbait.

• Like 2

Very well said cirrusRC. Let’s count our blessings.

As far as comparisons between seasonal flu and Covid-19, its like comparing chalk & cheese. The danger of Covid is that transmission can take place long before symptoms are apparent. Also, fortunately, a large number have very minimal symptoms but can  potentially still pass a death penalty on someone else. I for one would not want that on my conscience. Maybe those not worried about consequences of their actions presume they would not be aware of said consequences.

Any form of travelling carries the risk of interaction with others, be it the result of incapacity from a stumble/fall, car breakdown /puncture/ accident or whatever other mishap may befall us. I’m sure the poor unfortunate would expect help from the usual ‘services’ to get them out of trouble.  It appears very selfish to expect these service personnel to take extreme risk because of careless and thoughtless attitudes.

• Like 1