Pete Beadle Charity ride in aid of Stroke Association UK

Jef Ott

I have just updated the story on the Pete Beadle Just Giving page.

Thank you to all those that have donated so far. 

Please continue to use the link in the OP.

Jef

Started actually looking at my lovely Dawes Audax - the bicycle that I will be doing the big ride on tomorrow. Last time I actually looked at it properly was just 2 years ago when I was preparing for the 4 day London to Paris ride. So, since then it hasn't had much work done other than changing the chain and cassette and the front mech cable. Basically the tyres were near the end of their life, so today it has had two new "Gator" tyres, tubes and rim tapes (in fact I changed the front wheel complete with dynamo hub), rear mech cable and a change of right pedal because I somehow washed grit into the pedal bearings when cleaning the chainrings (off the bike)!

So the bike is now fit to ride the 150 miles / 245 km, will I be?

After quite a long day in the saddle, I completed the ride relatively uneventfully.

I had a bit of an issue with roads being totally closed (preventing even bicycle access) and a Garmin with Attitude, and ended up cycling just more than 160 miles.

After the ride (which my Garmin recorded without any faults, thankfully), I uploaded it to Strava and the link to the activity is in the previous post in this thread.

After quoting an estimated 4.5 litres requirement for water, based on data from a previous long ride, I actually consumed exactly that - plus a cola, a coffee, and a couple of pints of brewed beverages. 

Lunch at 11am consisted of a banana fudge cake, then a full Irish breakfast (both consumed at 70miles at Stonham Barns restaurant).

A couple of ice creams were also consumed at the 100 and 140 mile marks, plus a bag of roasted salted peanuts at 147, and ten jelly babies at 154. 

The ride was well balanced though, as I burnt 12,661 calories and I lost 6 lb!

Total elevation, according to Strava, was more than 6200 feet. That's 1.177 miles of up. 

Temperatures around 10 degC at the misty sunrise start and 25degC in the blue sky peak meant I was a little chilly at the start and could have done with it being a bit cooler in the middle of the day, but was thankful that there was no rain. 

In with my spares kit, I carried a complete change of clothing - to cover all eventualities. Really glad I did. After 138miles I had to stop and change my shoes and socks, as my feet were getting sore. If I had not had them with me, the ride would have ended there, such was the level of pain. My right hand blistered at the base of the palm. 

Please give the cost of a servo if you have that to spare, to the Stroke Association, via the link in the OP, if you appreciate the pain and difficulties that Pete Beadle suffered. Thank you.

Yesterday I received a letter from the Stroke Association thanking me for my efforts and this is cut and paste from that...

"Thank you for raising funds for the Stroke Association, in memory of Pete Beadle.

The Stroke Association works to prevent stroke and support everyone touched by

stroke, fund research and campaign for the rights of Stroke survivors of all ages.

It is thanks to the amazing supporter like you that the Stroke Association is able to

fund research that could help to save lives and enable Stroke survivors to make the

best recovery and take control of their lives again.

If you have any enquiries please get in touch with us at

Lida.Ballou@stroke.orq.uk "

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kyri said:

Well done Jef, and thanks for sharing the details, really appreciated it!

Cheers to you and Pete. 

Kyri

Hi Kyri,

Thanks ever so much for making a donation. Thank you for the feedback too - that is really appreciated.

Wasn't sure whether to post the nitty gritty or not. Glad I did now.

Jef

Thanks for the details - I've done over 100 a handful of times but not as far as you went.  A long time ago, I completed a 100 mile time-trial in 4:45 so I know the feeling.  Well done.  My donation is already in the pot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikef said:

Thanks for the details - I've done over 100 a handful of times but not as far as you went.  A long time ago, I completed a 100 mile time-trial in 4:45 so I know the feeling.  Well done.  My donation is already in the pot.

Wow! A sub 6 hour 100mile ride is still regarded as a great effort, and sub 5hr 100mile rides are rare and to be very proud of. 
Well done to you, and thank you for the donation!

This was my fourth 100mile+ ride, and prior to yesterday had only done one of 200km, and I always take my time on "longest distance so far" rides, but I am only an enthusiastic cyclist with less than 6 years recent experience.

My professional cycling friends say that if I were to ditch the panniers and heavy spares, I could easily do 200miles, with the same effort.
But I'm not convinced, and worry about not completing due to lack of spares and tools!

My current thinking is that I will never do any riding this far again, but I said that after I had done the 200km ride 2 years ago, too. It was only Pete Beadle's death that prompted me to do a (for me) ground breaking effort. 

Even at my fastest 100km rate (on a supported, but solo ride this year, aged 62), if I were to do 100miles, it would take 5h 42m, roughly an hour longer than your time, so you have my full respect!! 

Jef

Wondering if there is any more interest in this, as it's 10 days since I completed the ride? 

Obviously, once I have closed the just giving page, on Tuesday 15th June, you will still be able to make donations to the Stroke Association, but without it being prompted by this 160 mile bicycle ride in remembrance of Pete Beadle.

The forum members have so far donated £140 plus £25 Gift Aid; just over 50% of my target, which is great, and shows the admiration that so many had for him.

Well done those that have already donated and if you haven't yet done it, please make a donation no matter how small - every fiver is very much appreciated by the Stroke Association.

Thank you.

Jef