Guitarslingers as well as glider guiders

Mikeb52

2 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Gary

Well found!

Any idea what the plane is? Radio is probably either 27meg or 35meg.......was there a date on the pic?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Ivanhoe like wot I had

Ivinghoe Box.jpg

Edited by Nicholls
added image

Another singer/guitarist was/is Peter Green alias Danial Boone whose anthem Beautiful Sunday was usually sung by him at West Essex Dinner & Dances when they were held in the 70's-90's, as he was a member and had a glider triophy competition name after him that I believe is still flown every year.

6 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Radio is probably either 27meg or 35meg.......was there a date on the pic?

1974 so it 27 Mhz, Macgregor Digimac 4 channel, with the blue anodised case maybe.

"Fully aerobatic slope and thermal soarer" what an incredibly versatile glider.

On 28/06/2019 at 18:55, Phil.Taylor said:

Thats a modern re-release - the original has a Graupner Foka - and a dog

I think, Phil, that this remark earns you the honorary title of Nerd of the Month!

A young software engineer (Jon Collins) who used to work for me a long time ago went on to assist Mike Oldfield write his biography !

Phil.Taylor
3 hours ago, oipigface said:

I think, Phil, that this remark earns you the honorary title of Nerd of the Month!

HaHa - thanks John - you have got a copy, haven't you?

I never did - didnt have a Graupner Foka either - way out of my paper round budget - but I did see one flying on the Long Mynd in 1973.

The real one - with  Foka - and a dog:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hergest-Ridge-Mike-Oldfield/dp/B00004T9AG

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting !! I built a Strat once. . . Really went to town on it!! Took me about two years start to finish. Pretty much everything, from the maple blanks right through to the paint and hardware/fixings all came from Ebay !! Only things that didn't were the fret wire, the scratch-plate and the wood for the skunk stripe!!

Machined a lot of parts/tooling for it too, like the radius sanding block for the neck and the buttress threaded neck bolt inserts/bushes etc.

Really came out brilliant ! The neck has a few wibbly bits in the back from sanding out the damage caused by an end mill that slipped out of a collet half way through machining it . . . And the white blond paint job could be better if I'm honest but overall I'm well happy with it.

The combination of the locking machine heads, roller nut, lack of string tees,  neck bolt arrangement and the knife edge bridge means It holds its tune as good as, if not better than my set neck/fixed bridge guitars! And the SD Hotrail hum buckers really make it scream!

The only full picture I can find of it right now is dragged from facebook,  I'll dig out some more when I get home !! 

fullsizeoutput_201c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21ac.jpeg

405030_10151245134211911_1934444645_n.jpg

IMG_1459.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

Nice work, I've been mending and playing guitars for longer than I've been flying, so they still out number my gliders, but only just. I've too many of both, of course, but it looks as though this might be a good place to advertise guitars as well as models when I need to have a clear out.

• Like 1