Uk Slopes

Davidheath

Great Orme. 

Can't think of anywhere else with such ease of access and almost guaranteed flying. There's a slope for any wind direction, most only seem to turn up for the SW and think that's all the Orme has to offer.  The Pier or Gary's Bench are my favourite sites on the Orme and the latter is so rarely used I've only seen one other person fly it. Yet you can park ten yards from it and it's a great S/SE slope. Great for combat as it doesn't drop away into the sea :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MikeDaBike said:

I loved Rhossili ; nothing like flying over the sea. Bit of a deceptively steep  hike up to the top ....

There is a flatter, but rather longer, route up a farm track which turns off right from the road just before the village. Favoured by cyclists.

1 hour ago, oipigface said:

There is a flatter, but rather longer, route up a farm track which turns off right from the road just before the village. Favoured by cyclists.

I think that might be the one you could drive up, so's you got at least half way up the hill, but was still a good hike, though less steep than the path all the way up from the car park.

Cliffhanger showed it to me - sadly missed by many I think.

It's important not to go right to the top as there's rocks concealed in the heather.  Go further to the left of the highest point (looking toward the sea), there's plenty of safe landing there.

What happened to CLiffhanger? Sorry to bring up a sad subject, but I can't remember what it was that was wrong with him. 

He did some really good videos and loved his flying. 

21 minutes ago, satinet said:

What happened to CLiffhanger? Sorry to bring up a sad subject, but I can't remember what it was that was wrong with him. 

Sadly Cliff died with Cancer.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

Hi all

Anyone else flown at Win Green? Had an Awayday there two years ago

Great slopes, no climbing, almost no walking, superb grassy landing area.......:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

2014_0514WinGrn0023.JPG

2014_0514WinGrn0026.JPG

Yep Win Green Shaftesbury North Dorset, just a short trip up the road for me, hop over the wooden gate from the car park and launch.....I should go there more often!!

Whitesheet Hill, Wiltshire couple of good slopes and home of White Sheet Radio Flying Club....my club with great guys :)  :D

6 hours ago, oipigface said:

Ahh, will have to remember that for next time !

3 hours ago, satinet said:

Me also, his videos and flying just brilliant 

mike B 

Cliffhanger was also a slope explorer - he shot this comp winning video flying on Bannau Sir Gaer / Picws Du - in the Brecon Beacons - looks like a truly epic slope - except for the very, very, very long hike up it :blink:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Cliffhanger was also a slope explorer - he shot this comp winning video flying on Bannau Sir Gaer / Picws Du - in the Brecon Beacons - looks like a truly epic slope - except for the very, very, very long hike up it :blink:

Thanks Phil, not seen that one. I never met Cliffhanger, but his videos seem to capture the essence of why we all do this hobby/sport, bless him. 

Mike B 

4 hours ago, Mikeb52 said:

Me also, his videos and flying just brilliant 

mike B 

He never quite did get the hang of landing tho :D:thumbsup:

Explored many a Welsh hill with him.

On 14/02/2018 at 16:12, martynk said:

Moel Famau - North Wales

Moel Famau is my local slope. Good for South West to North West (ish). You should however have a permit from Denbigh Council. I was stopped last year once - BMFA card didn't make any difference. Seems unfair really - all other users are free (walkers, cyclists, ponies etc.), but paragliders and model flyers have to pay each year, even though we probably do the least damage. If the reason is confirmation of the insurance, then BMFA or BPGA membership card should suffice.

• Like 1

The permit is only about £6 but may have gone up a bit ,its a long time since i purchased one And most of the locals never bothered with one 

paul

8 hours ago, Darren_O said:

I didn't know about the permit....nobody else has ever mentioned it. Suppose I best ring the council tomorrow and sort one out :)

I did exactly that on Tuesday afternoon, as although it is a requirement, I hadn't previously bothered. However the nice lady in Loggerheads told me to wait until the end of March, when the permits are due for renewal otherwise you pay £10 now, and again in a month! When you go ahead with it, just go to Loggerheads Country Park with copies of insurance and membership card and 2 photos.

• 1 year later...
On 19/02/2018 at 19:14, Phil.Taylor said:

Do you know the grid reference, Phil?