Inactivity report...

Richard Swindells

On 03/01/2019 at 06:56, Richard Swindells said:

... The law I am referring to is that we are still considered to be a SUA pilot (small unmanned aircraft) so will be required to register AND take a relevant compitancy test AND display the CAA supplied registration number on our aircraft.

Richard 

What weight of models does this apply to?

1 hour ago, Jef Ott said:

What weight of models does this apply to?

250g +.   It is hoped that BMFA membership (maybe with appropriate rating) will cover the competency and registration, but the EU regulation guidance is for every model above 250g to be registered.  And ultimately it is planned that anything above 250g will have some form of transponder (e.g. ADS-B),  but the technology will have to continue to shrink for that, and even then  imagine fitting that to every model....  However much we ***** and moan unfortunately we won’t be able to enjoy the freedoms we have been afforded in the past.

Simon

• Like 1

I see a new class of glider competition weighing under 250g, (F3K can already do this) so as not to have a) registration, and b) transponder.

1m, maybe 1.2m, electric F5J anyone? 6 minute slot so as not to have to fly too high for sight reasons maybe?

• Haha 1

Kites... do they have to be registered etc? 
An aeroplane on a bungee is a kite... if the attachment of the kite comes undone does it fail to be called a kite?

• Like 1

Kites have been limited to 60 meters for a long time and covered under article 92 of the ANO 2016.   Looking at the 2018 amendments it implies kites and balloons under 20kg will be exempt.  

28 minutes ago, cirrusRC said:

Kites have been limited to 60 meters for a long time and covered under article 92 of the ANO 2016.   Looking at the 2018 amendments it implies kites and balloons under 20kg will be exempt.  

What length bungees do the 2m RES brigade use?

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2019 at 14:16, pete beadle said:

I asked who would actually enforce these new regulations I wasn't joking....the courts can't, the police can't

It appears that the police and courts can.

£2000 fine for flying a model aircraft within 1km of the Heathrow perimeter.

http://news.met.police.uk/news/man-pleads-guilty-to-flying-model-aeroplane-near-heathrow-354704

Steve

What are you going on about? The guy was caught by the police flying a small unmanned aircraft within 1km of the Heathrow perimeter without permission from ATC in clear violation of ANO article 94B. 

Steve

Ok only 'Protected Aerodromes' are the issue

Edited by Lloyd_d
Receieved correct information on new rules

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to the whole drone regulation situation, I've had a look at the actual exemption from the 400' rule for UK model flying associations. A couple of things stood out to me:

Seems like it's not that hard to define the difference between a model plane and a drone after all.  Pity the EASA aren't able to do it. 

image.thumb.png.538a475ce22db7bdc7749e6d06689b0b.png 

• Like 2