How stop users from seing what I'm looking/browsing at?

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

Good morning admin dons :)

I don't much fancy the idea that users/myself can see what forum members are doing/watching in real time (I can click on any person that is online and see exactly what they are up to etc). I personally find it a bit intrusive. No dramas, but is there a way one can turn this option off?  

Thank you for support

Regards

Marc 

Marc RC pilot

Can an admin person please respond/help (It's been nearly a week since I posted this request).

Cheers

Marc 

• Confused 1

They’re all too busy watching you...

Whatever you do, don’t click the ‘follow Marc Sinclair’ button.

More seriously, it’s like a virtual clubhouse isn’t it. If we were all meeting in a room I’d be able to see who you were talking too, or what you were doing, so I can’t get that exercised about it. 

• Like 2

As a competition & event organiser,  I find the ability to see who is looking or has recently looked at my posts at any given time very helpful indeed. 

For myself personally If this ability were to be taken away, the forum would for me  lose all sense of interaction / conversation between everyone. The forum would lose a significant amount or all of the enjoyment I get from it. 

With respect Marc, should yourself or any forum member for whatever reason not want anyone to see what they are looking at, simply browse the site logged out. Maybe some already do this ? 

Stu, 

• Like 2

Marc RC pilot

Lol @Took (all to busy watching me), cracked me up that one 👍 

Great idea about using site logged off Gromit and cirrusRC, thanks.

Just wondering where admin are?

Where on earth are you administrators of BARCS forum? Playing hard to get are we? ;) 

Marc RC pilot

No! I want him to answer me  here in front of everybody cRC! Preferably dressed but I have an open mind.

;):) 

Marc RC pilot

I actually just spied on Austin and he hasn't been seen since Monday 17th Jun at 06:25 replying to Stormeflyer's topic in For Sale / Wanted forum ...I hope he is ok/not lost on a hill in Hertfordshire with his RC yachts ;)  

• Administrators

Marc, I can't turn it off per user and Im not turning it off for all as its useful for many to see who's browsing, who's online etc.

• Thanks 1

I browse the forum offline most of the time.

I trust you have browser extensions like Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin and NoScript  to 'hide' yourself a bit? NoScript really screws sites up so I don't put that on 'normal' users' computers.
Firefox appears to be the favoured, main stream browser for privacy. Google Chrome is going bad - or badder in that regard possibly. Chromium, and other Chrome based browsers, are likely to to be affected too 😞

uBlock Origin can also block parts of sites. I see no 'login with FB or Google' buttons or icons on the sites I read regularly.

Soon I will have a PiHole       bye, bye adverts on any device - once I get an ASUS RT-AC86U that can change the DNS that my ISP supplied router won't allow me to do. The RT-AC86U will also allow me to set a VPN in it so anything on my home network is no longer subject to my ISP spying on what I look at - maybe.

I'm not paranoid at all.
Why are there black helicopters over the house?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Marc RC pilot
8 hours ago, Austin said:

Marc, I can't turn it off per user and Im not turning it off for all as its useful for many to see who's browsing, who's online etc.

Thanks for getting back to me Austin and for the explanation. 👍

7 hours ago, tonym said:

I browse the forum offline most of the time.

I trust you have browser extensions like Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin and NoScript  to 'hide' yourself a bit? NoScript really screws sites up so I don't put that on 'normal' users' computers.
Firefox appears to be the favoured, main stream browser for privacy. Google Chrome is going bad - or badder in that regard possibly. Chromium, and other Chrome based browsers, are likely to to be affected too 😞

uBlock Origin can also block parts of sites. I see no 'login with FB or Google' buttons or icons on the sites I read regularly.

Soon I will have a PiHole       bye, bye adverts on any device - once I get an ASUS RT-AC86U that can change the DNS that my ISP supplied router won't allow me to do. The RT-AC86U will also allow me to set a VPN in it so anything on my home network is no longer subject to my ISP spying on what I look at - maybe.

I'm not paranoid at all.
Why are there black helicopters over the house?

Wow Tony! that's deep :). Thanks for the multiple head's up. Much to learn.

Marc RC pilot

lol Pete...I see its making you rather emotional...point taken. :)

Just having a bit of fun.

Answer to my question has been given and all is quite on the Eastern front.

Maybe we could have a virtual group hug? :)

• Austin locked this topic