Fossil hunting in Bognor Regis

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

I'm off to Bognor Regis tomorrow to try my luck.

Got myself a brick hammer,  cold chisel, safety glasses, wellies etc

I checked the tide times.

My first go at this but has been of interest for most of my life.

I have been studying various rock breaking technics/fossil finds on Youtube and can't wait to give it a go :)

Anyone here have any experience/care to share some tips?

Link to Bognor's fossil coast/info etc :

https://ukfossils.co.uk/2012/01/24/bognor-regis/

Also to note that if you book in advance during off peak times on overground trains (Southern train company from Victoria London to  Bognor Regis in my case) you can pick up amazing deals on tickets...some as low as £5 one way! 

Marc RC pilot

Fantastic Pete! Will check out. Thx m8 

Jurassic slope soaring and fossil hunting. What a combo, never thought of that.

👍

Marc RC pilot
4 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Marc

Go straight to vimeo.com/favonius for the vids:)

Scroll through to "Rumour on the cliffs" - Beltinge Kent - for a start

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Thanks Pete, will check it out :)

2 hours ago, Graham Woods said:

Belemnites, Lamellibranchs, Ammonites & Sharks teeth, I remember swinging my Estwing back in 1969 ...

Now we talking Graham :), had to look up Lamellibranchs, good stuff, thank you! Will post a pic of a shark tooth (I think) that I bought in the south of France over 30 years ago.

Marc RC pilot

Nice day out at Bognor Regis. 

Finds: not a sausage :)

First impressions walking through the town was that there seem to be quite a few rough sleepers/substance abusers scattered about/living in shop fronts etc and people  trying to sell you something (electricity providers etc) . Tbh, I was taken back by the destitution of some of these people in such a coastal town, some where so young, mainly all white UK citizens. I don't mean to criticise, just thought it rather sad.

Beaches are the usual shingle variety.  Views where uninspiring to me. I watched the gulls soar effortlessly on the raised shingle banks as they searched along them looking for food. Most probably the highlight of the day for me.   Defo Alula Trek territory for some fun shingle soaring :).  

I would not go there again. Was a good day out of London.

My next trek is going to be Eastbourne/Beachy Head where amazing chalk cliffs and rolling hills lie in wait,  and a good place for fossils apparently. Just got to be carful with tides and falling debris from cliff faces etc    

Anyone know somewhere cheap to stay in Eastbourne or have any experience down there?  

Marc RC pilot

Great series relating to fossils/history etc for those that are/or might be interested. There are two more episodes  if one does a search on the site 

Enjoy

Marc RC pilot

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-49357717/dinosaurs-digging-up-the-jurassic-mile

Most amazing find! 

Been all over the news today and it seems there was a flash-flood back in the day and it caught hundreds of dinosaurs off-guard, some of whom where caught up in the now fossilized wood/logs that most probably carried/ entombed them. Interesting times ahead :)