Claymore setup.

DaveH

I have a used Claymore ~3.8m moldie that I am setting up for use in F5J comps.  

My first flights went well, although the wind was around 9mph gusting to 13mph.    During the flights, I found a CoG that I was comfortable with.  

I have a question that I hope that you might help with....    

At the moment, my Tx is set up for one camber position, one reflex and neutral (adding -2mm, +2mm & 0)  .   I understand that many fly with an extra camber position.   Should I set up for a second camber, or if I were to stick to one, what amount would be useful?   (I don't know what section this older  Claymore uses).   

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

What works for one design wont always work with another one.I have found that wing camber (or reflex) is very airfoil  and model weight specific. An additional  'fixed amount' camber setting  is very good with some designs that are lighter in weight and  with newer 'thinner' airfoil.  But when I tried this settup with my Pike Dynamic  it  often seems to create more drag rather than encreasing lift and I have to be very aware of what the model  attitude is and be ready to switch out the extra camber.

I prefer a 'Snap Flap' mix with mode dependent  variable wing camber  rather than a third fixed camber setting.

Just my own experience🙄

Thanks for sharing your experience.        

I haven't always been sure what the addition of camber is contributing on some of my other gliders.  

Perhaps a better idea for me to get to grips with what works is to stick to the single camber on a switch, but to vary the amount (weight) by making it adjustable on a pot.   That way I will be able to  try out changes on the wing.   

4 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi DaveH

Might I suggest dropping a line to Phil Brandreth regarding  the Claymore F5J Series?

He has flown these 'planes  for many years and is currently disposing of one or two on BMFA Classifieds, if you have a look......

The three fuselages he's selling sound quite interesting too:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS 1702

Ah! Phil Brandreth..    I bought this one from him last year.     I've asked a couple of questions already but don't want to overload him with too many small questions.   I might see him soon, so will try then.       

No apologies necessary, all input is welcome   (except those suggesting that I should give up and do more decorating/gardening, although I don't think that my wife can log in here yet).