Compufoil

oipigface

I maybe should have added this to the thread about how awful Microsoft is.

I've been trying to download software that will plot airfoils given coordinates in Selig format (from trailing edge over the top and back underneath). I'm fairly certain that Compufoil will do this, but my attempt to download the trial version leads to the message "compufoil3dsetup.exe was blocked because it could harm your device". I got a similar message when I tried to download another one called Foils, which I unblocked, but still wouldn't download. Any ideas as to how to obtain Compufoil, or some other program to do the job?

Tracfoil.

I use it. The trial period is 1 month but fully functional. The license is cheap enough it is worth getting. Should do whatever you need for printing aerofoils.

There is an aerofoil file to go with it that you download seperately.

• Like 1

I had similar with Profili2. If i remember correctly I carried on with the install and found an "ignore this warning" selection.

8 hours ago, mhodgson said:

Tracfoil.

I use it. The trial period is 1 month but fully functional. The license is cheap enough it is worth getting. Should do whatever you need for printing aerofoils.

There is an aerofoil file to go with it that you download seperately.

Used Tracfoil for years now, Worth £7, may have gone up now, free trial for a month.

Barcs 230

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I have found the problem. I tried to download Tracfoil, and had a very similar outcome. Then I tried downloading on the house PC, as opposed to the workshop one. It was OK there, and I was able to have a little play with both Tracfoil and Compufoil. Decided to go with Compufoil, and then went back to the workshop PC to figure out why it wasn't working. It turns out that there is something called Microsoft Smartscreen, which is so smart, mention of it rarely appears on the screen. It filters downloads, but apart from the message that I quoted above says little about why or what. Microsoft Help is its usual helpful self i.e. thoroughly unhelpful. But I did find a couple of independent sites that tell you how to switch it off. I've done that and all is well. It appears that one class of downloads that it blocks is software that, like Compufoil, Tracfoil, etc. isn't downloaded very often! Weird.

What I can't understand is why this loony piece of software doesn't appear on the house PC. Both machines run on Windows 10.