Diamond Grit block

EssexBOF

Some time ago now, I bought a diamond grit block , from Aldi. This was a 4 sides block of different grit sizes 600, 400, 300 & 200. Use it for sharpening up tools, but have found it very useful for re doing the tips on scalpel blades where they lose their edge, particularly on stainless steel type Swan Morton. A few strokes on the 600 side and they cut as before. Useful when cutting film etc.

BARCS 230

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/03/2021 at 16:41, EssexBOF said:

Some time ago now, I bought a diamond grit block , from Aldi. This was a 4 sides block of different grit sizes 600, 400, 300 & 200. Use it for sharpening up tools, but have found it very useful for re doing the tips on scalpel blades where they lose their edge, particularly on stainless steel type Swan Morton. A few strokes on the 600 side and they cut as before. Useful when cutting film etc.

BARCS 230

It's not bad at all.  I use water as a lube. Doesn't replace my Norton oilstone for chisels and plane blades, but does a surprisingly good job.

I have one of those too, (though purchased from Axminster - at probably twice the cost 😒). 

Never thought of it for sharpening my blades.  Great idea thank you.

The last time I used mine was to blunt a knife! I am building a kit from Flite Test, which is an excellent organisation with lots of good ideas. This plane is made out of stuff called Maker Foam. It looks like a Depron sandwich with waxed paper as the ‘bread’. To create a fold in it you need to make two parallel cuts through the top paper and the foam but not through the bottom paper. They recommend using a new Stanley blade with the point taken off. Worked a treat!

terryspence

Silverline and Amtech do very similar ones all around about the same price. We've sold a good number of these and they have proved reliable (no complaints).

19 hours ago, mikef said:

Yes, that is the one I bought, probably more expensive than the Aldi price. Stainless Steel is not great at holding an edge IMHO. Carbon Steel is better, but of course not good for the medical profession. Years ago when the model knives that had the snap off tips, they were in carbon steel, but were later only seem to be made in stainless steel, which does not holds an edge like the carbon type. The carbon also work well on cutting carbon sheet up to approx .4 mm. 

Using the 600 grit side just a few stokes either side of blade, gives a sharp point again.