BAN on Model gliding on Dartmoor

wookman

• 4 weeks later...

I dont see a fault with their stipulation here:

'No Person shall fly a kite or model glider from or over the Access Land in such a manner as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to any other person or in such a manner as is likely to startle or disturb stock or wildlife on the land.'

The above does not prohibit model flying per se, only flying in an inconsiderate manner.

What problem do you see?

That is the current wording. No problem with that at all. The problem is that the new wording takes gliders out of this category and lumps them in with powered models and drones. There is currently, and rightly so, a ban on powered model flying and drone flying on Dartmoor

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to fill in the DNPA survey.

The survey will close on 1st November, so that leaves this weekend as the last opportunity to contribute.

Can anybody who hasn't done the survey PLEASE take 10 minutes out of your weekend to fill it in. Even if you have never flown on Dartmoor or have any any intention of ever doing so PLEASE fill in the survey. If this is allowed to happen to Dartmoor model glider pilots, how long will it be before it happens to you?

Here is the link to get you started https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/who-we-are/byelaws-consultation

Please refer to the opening post for the context of the current situation.

Thanks Wookman.

It was good to see the BMFA putting out a National call to action to all members - new restrictions can come to a patch near you next - act now.  

• Like 1

Who’s leading this fight? Has a face to face with them been organised? I suggest this is organised to get to the route cause of any issues they have specifically.

21 hours ago, Lloyd_d said:

Who’s leading this fight? Has a face to face with them been organised? I suggest this is organised to get to the route cause of any issues they have specifically.

This is surely the BMFA’s job. So far what they have done is described thus: “The BMFA has submitted a response [to the survey] but has also made direct representations to the Head of Recreation, Access and Estates at DNPA.” The ‘response’ is reproduced at: https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/ArticleID/2755/Dartmoor-National-Park-Byelaws-Consultation-Action-required, but I can’t see any further details of the ‘representations’.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Update on the situation with repsect to the revision of the Dartmoor national park authority bylaws.

DNPA have recently released the following:

Work continues on review of Dartmoor's byelaws

Dartmoor National Park Authority has today provided a progress update on work to update Dartmoor’s byelaws.

On 3 September 2021 a report was taken to Authority seeking approval to launch a review of the current byelaws. At that meeting, Members approved the proposals, including a formal consultation with the public and stakeholders. 

The six-week consultation, which closed in November 2021, attracted nearly 4,000 responses, which a team of National Park Officers have been carefully analysing.

Dr Kevin Bishop, Chief Executive of Dartmoor National Park Authority, said: “We’re committed to ensuring Dartmoor has an updated set of byelaws which are fit for purpose, seek a consistent approach where appropriate to do so, and help protect the National Park in years to come.

“We appreciate that people will want to know what’s going on and that’s why we felt it was important to provide this review update. We’re carefully and methodically working through all of the responses received. This is time well spent and is critical to the decision-making process and will continue into February.

“Further work will then be informed by impact and sustainability  assessments, evidence and legal advice. In view of this, we’re not yet in a position to schedule a firm date for when proposals will go to Authority. We hope it will be this summer, but it is still too soon to know whether that is possible. 

“However, we will continue to keep people updated as we go. While the review remains in progress, it’s important that everyone continues to respect the current byelaws. In doing so, you’re helping to ‘leave no trace, give nature space’ and are protecting this special landscape for everyone to enjoy.”

So for the time being we carry on as before. The operation of unpowered model aircraft is permitted within the National Park. The operation of powered model aircraft or drones generally remains prohibited.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Afternoon 

apologies for dragging up a very old thread but have been searching to no avail for an accurate answer

Did the ban ever come into force preventing people from model gliding on Dartmoor?, I’m aware the bye laws stated you could not fly any model glider causing a nuisance/disturbance or words to that effect but can’t see if it actually happened.

I’m returning to gliding after a long lay off and do not wish to drag the hobby into bad light by not following the rules, just wish to peacefully enjoy the countryside with my gliders.

thanks

Stevext

• Like 1

My current understanding of the situation is that it remains as was before the the consultation started, so the old rules apply.

The flying of unpowered model aircraft (gliders) is permitted.

The flying of powered models (powered gliders, planes and drones) is not permitted.

• Like 2