English Open F3F 2023, Aug 19th-20th

Nigel_W

Great weekends flying and lovely weather aswell ,even got some of the decent air (not white sheet at all ) 

still coming to terms with loosing to Wil but my therapist says I’ll be over it in time to the Welsh .

Well done G and Wil for putting a great comp on 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This comp was one of the really good ones wasn't it.  Nice to come back to after a year off and watch everyone else's good flying.

I heard a number of positive comments about the fifth "whitesheeter" in the top four.  The Saker (in capable hands of course) took FTD, a good number of round wins, and took the comp win with JP.  If a new Baudis or TUD plane had a win by 1000 pts it would be all over the web by now.  Well done to Ian in persevering with his design projects.

• Like 3

Great comp guys. Finally a 2 full days of flying. Congrats to everyone but John ;)

By the way can we get a legible ranking with numbers?   I'm not an excel guy.

ps: David would need a poster version of it too.

Edited by Aleix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Super slick weekend.

There are very few comps that Liz will sit all day on the slope for, this was the exception, lovely weather, nice grass, good views and great company.

Great to see JohnT and Tony again, and Phil having a blast. Also lovely to see a few faces just visiting to have a look at f3f, comps like this may just encourage them to have a go next time.

JP of course doing it large with a model that has the potential to bring a few new faces into the sport at a great price point. 

Variable flying conditions, can be punishing, but also uplifting, on a nice hill on a nice weekend, I can live with the punishing.

Thanks Graeme, Nigel and Will, a great few days.

👍👍

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Aleix said:

Great comp guys. Finally a 2 full days of flying. Congrats to everyone but John ;)

By the way can we get a legible ranking with numbers?   I'm not an excel guy.

ps: David would need a poster version of it too.

Unfortunately the code is for 32Bit machines. I had to dig out my old laptop to generate the spreadsheet.   

Not sure what else I can do, anyone got any suggestions?  

57 minutes ago, Graeme_M said:

Unfortunately the code is for 32Bit machines. I had to dig out my old laptop to generate the spreadsheet.   

Hi.

Could you print the page as a PDF and send that out?

Mark

"Word" screenshots of the spreadsheet

English_Open_23.docx

On my laptop I can see the full results when I downloaded it - "locked for editing" - but If I "enable editing" it all goes to pieces - 64vs32bit - longstanding problem. I have seen one version of the F3F spreadsheet results from another race that was readable/usable on a modern machine.

Phil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graeme_M said:

I'm on a 64bit windows box and it views fine as long as you dont click the "enable editing" button. Using windows office 365

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeE said:

JP of course doing it large with a model that has the potential to bring a few new faces into the sport at a great price point. 

👍👍

This one

JP doing it large & smooth, EM style - very very smooth - very very accurate - a joy to watch/buzz for - really put the "manage the energy" into the EM.

Top flying John & congrats on the well deserved win.

Phil.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rumbey said:

I'm on a 64bit windows box and it views fine as long as you dont click the "enable editing" button. Using windows office 365

Take some screenshot amd post here;)

Amazing Phil!  Thank you so much!  

Is there anyway to make those numbers more visible or understandable next time? 

Can the system upload in a different way?

Thanks again Phil and get well soon! Thinking of you 

• Like 1

Sounds like a great comp, well done to the CD's and the pilots 👏 Especially the podium!

I can only activate the spreadsheets after saving to my 64 bit PC, then closing it and re opening it... Might work for some. 

Really enjoyed the weekend. Well done to the top three and thanks to Graeme, Nigel and all helpers.

Here's my brief report, with link to photos:
https://rc-soar.com/gallery/2023/eo/index.php

Re the spreadsheet. There seem to be two distinct issues,

The first is to do with Windows' stricter security for macro-enabled spreadsheets which results in a red banner with the message "Microsoft has blocked macros from running because the source of this file is untrusted". The solution to right-click on the file (in the Windows file explorer), select Properties, go to the General tab, and choose 'unblock'.

The second issue occurs when running the 64 bit version of Office. I can't reproduce it here as I have 32-bit office, but I understand that its due to some specific incompatibilities in the VBA code. Microsoft have some guidelines for making the code compatible with both 32- and 64-bit office, but they seem to suggest that it's not always possible. I'll have a look when I get a mo.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I never thought I would say this, but that photo of Ian and his dog with Andy should be entered for a prize!

• Haha 1