Hammer F3F

Adam Richardson

Good stuff, Im wondering anout the ELF as a small fast bugger as well.

Understant the point on comp models. I dont do alot of gliding and just cannot justify 500 odd quid on a glider (as nice as they are) so hopfully this will be the next best thing.

BB

The guy from flying-dog (Rob) told me the faun is £92.50 approx from him, so I imagine the elf would be similar money, as the two models look virtually the same. At that price it is a fair bit cheaper than a mouldie and even cheaper than something like a speedo pro mk3 with the jart wing thingie. In fact not a lot more than a normal speedo these days.

Where does the duo come from, Tom ?

http://www.blejzyk.pl/model-duo.html

The model is supplied to me by the same person as the hammers to these guys, Mike.

MikeDaBike

The guy from flying-dog (Rob) told me the faun is £92.50 approx from him, so I imagine the elf would be similar money, as the two models look virtually the same. At that price it is a fair bit cheaper than a mouldie and even cheaper than something like a speedo pro mk3 with the jart wing thingie. In fact not a lot more than a normal speedo these days.

http://www.blejzyk.pl/model-duo.html

The model is supplied to me by the same person as the hammers to these guys, Mike.

Thanks, Tom. Is that Vampire any relation to the one advertised on Sloperacer's site ? How do you all cover those wood skinned wings ? Iron on film or paint ? And any idea what the difference is between the Basic and High model variants ? Mike

barnesyboy

Mike,

I dont think it is a relation to the sloperacer Vamp.

The wings are either covered with film, glassed and painted or as alot of the guys do aparently just varnish and leave a wood finish.

Basic and high spec. My understanding is high spec has a high level of prefab work i.e all sanded and shaped, pre cut and hindged control surfaces and of course price.

The Hammers Flying Dog have are High spec variants very little to do to them at all.

BB

Thanks, Tom. Is that Vampire any relation to the one advertised on Sloperacer's site ? How do you all cover those wood skinned wings ? Iron on film or paint ? And any idea what the difference is between the Basic and High model variants ? Mike

Mike - that vampire is a moulded f3b model from the czech republic:

http://www.f3b.cz/product/vampire/

on my duo I will probably just varnish it and add colour details with vinyl or something. I guess you could spray paint them too.

With a thermal model I want some reasonable visibility features on the underside of the wing at least.

MikeDaBike

Mike,

I dont think it is a relation to the sloperacer Vamp.

The wings are either covered with film, glassed and painted or as alot of the guys do aparently just varnish and leave a wood finish.

Basic and high spec. My understanding is high spec has a high level of prefab work i.e all sanded and shaped, pre cut and hindged control surfaces and of course price.

The Hammers Flying Dog have are High spec variants very little to do to them at all.

BB

Thanks for the clarification. Having read further, the other vampire does come out of the Czech Republic.

For the newbies here (i.e. me !) when you say

covered with film, glassed and painted, do you mean

covered with film or glassed and painted ?

And what do you mean by "glassed" ? Covered with a very thin layer of glass fiber ?

I must say that I find the website

http://www.blejzyk.pl/ very easy to navigate and very consistently presented.

isoaritfirst

Just be a little careful with your choice of covering if cost is of concern.

spray cans and all the ancillaries soon stack up the costs of these natural models.

Many years ago I bought a shooting star because it worked out cheaper than a recently finished adrenalin.

I've ordered the DUO as a cheap electric flat field model that looks nice.

Wow, 320 g :eek: ! That should be hard to get down...

busterflier

There here .......... 4no Hammers for me and some club mates. As we had 4 they came straight to me from Poland so got them alittle quicker woop

More to come when I start proper, but I will say the wings are BEAUTIFUL, very nicely made and hinged. all sanded and ready to go.

Fuse is very nice and very strong with the inner nose and nose nice tight fits.

BB

Jammy devil BB,still mine shouldn't be long now............. :)

busterflier

My Hammer has finally arrived. :) Generally pretty good quality,very little gel coat on fuzz,pretty well all glass which bodes well.Wings are very nice :) hingeing and gap sealing are amazing for wood.I would love to see one being put together just to see how they manage it,of course how it will stand up to being wet,cold,hot,dry will be interesting(as in possibly terminal :eek: )I can't see how it can be glassed with these tolerances,so I think I will be going the varnish route.The wings seem strong enough as they are anyway.Don't know when I'll be starting it though as I've got quite a backlog at the moment.Just think,in 2 years,9 months and 3 days I'll be able to spend 24 hours a day pursuing my hobby! What's that dear? yes I'm just coming....... :o

isoaritfirst

The Purbeck stuff used to be finished with inbuilt hinges. They were built with foam cores covered in wetted out glass cloth before pressing the obechi veneer on the top.

The hinges were made with kevlar cloth IIRC. It used to soak up some of the epoxy from the inner cloth layer and become a little stiff and needed working back. However if the wings were glassed it often meant that the hinges became to stiff and tore off.

So be careful, or possibly grease them up first

• 1 month later...

Hi there.

My name is Rob and I run flying-dog.

Ive finnished my Hammer so if you don't mind I will share few pictures and video.

As I sell it I won't comment how good it is, but will point some things to look for durring the build.

Wing joiner - most scary part of the build for me - if done wrong will be real pain to sort that out, epoxy 5 and 60 min needed - first you need to glue it in place with 5min epoxy (small amount) then fill the gaps with tho 60min.

Thin epoxy is needed - so it will nicely fill all the gaps.

TIP: the channel for the wing joiner is deeper than the joiner itself - so good idea is to just put a small piece of foam/other inside and push it in to avoid filling all the channel, but let's you use much longer wing joiner if that makes you feel safer ;)

a4944941-74-hammer%20wing.jpg

a4944942-100-hammer%20wing2.jpg

Next step is to make some room for the wood blocks that will support the place where wing bolts go.

a4951079-1-hammer%20wing4.jpg

I used 30 min epoxy to keep'em in and to fill gaps around.

Then I closed the wing with piece of plywood.

a4951080-177-hammer%20wing5.jpg

After glue dried (epoxy again) - I sanded it down all around.

TIP: You can choose what wing dihedrial you want - I followed the manual - 60mm (30mm each side)

Wings have the angle already cut - so with the plywood you can adjust the gap where the joint is - to suit you.

I decided to cover my wings with oracover, didn't do any preparation at all - just wiped the dust of.

Next time I think I'd give it a one coat of varnish then little bit of sanding.

Covering

a4967757-239-hammer%20tail2.jpg352414.jpg

As mentioned before - gap wing-aileron/flap is very small so I did some sanding to make sure it will work nice and smoth after adding some thickness of the film.

Elevator and rudder are covered with one piece of film per side without cutting where the higes are.

Next step - fusselage.

357106.jpg

Fusselage-wing > I attached the wing with double side tape - and just drilled the holes thro it - then carefull redrilling in the wings for the bolt sleeves, reinforced the fusselage with piece of plywood and glued the nuts to it - sorry but I have no pictures :/

Inner nose - the position of the servos - that took me some time ....

As per pictures - the snakes where too short, had to invert the servos :confused: - but then arms where catching the outer nose :censored: so had to lower the servos :rollyeyes: and after that I was home :clap: - To reinforce the place where servos are I used 4 layers of 50g cloth - nice and solid now :)

Servos I use - Hitec 82mg all round - fits nicely in the wing.

I wraped servos with tape and just glued them in with epoxy and microbaloon into the wings - flush with the surface.

Then servo covers - temporary attached with blenderm tape.

357105.jpg

Horns.

I drilled 5mm holes in the ailerons/flaps (only 1 side ! ) removed the foam, filled with epoxy and pushed the horns in.

Horns legs where cut to about 10mm lenght, and then with the soldering gun i melt the end to get some sort of "mushroom" shape ;)

The end result:

a5045737-129-Hammer%201st%20flight.jpg

What I didn't like:

Space between ailerons and flaps needs sanding a bit.

Gap on the underside (again aileron/flap) is very small, depending on the covering needs sanding a bit to work smoth.

Servo covers are bit too flimsy.

Wing joiner was not glued in by somebody else :rollyeyes:

In the Classic tail version the snake needs to exit the fuss earlier - just in front of the fin.

Below is the video of V tailed Hammer - flown by Neal S at Horcum.

with 700g of lead - I flew mine without balast - was visible slower.

Thank you for reading

Rob