Futaba 9ZAP butterfly (crow) issue

George Young

I am having an issue with the programming of butterfly (crow) on my 9 ZAP tx.

It all works fine but something is limiting the last 20% or so of down flap movement. The flap servos stop moving early but the ailerons continue to move until the throttle stick reaches the end of the throw as I would expect. Changing the down flap throw in the butterfly program stops having an effect about 80%; one servo stopping a little sooner than the other but both stop well short. The servos are not stalled and the flaps will move further without any probs. ATV is 100% on both flap servos and turning it up more does not seem to help. I know I am missing something but what?

George

I set the end points and limits to 155 and 135 respectively on my flap servo's on Futaba 8FG to get full travel, the total ammount of flap travel is then set in the Butterfly menu as you are probably aware :)

PS - You do have to mess about with the off-set as well to get more down flap than up.

• Like 1

On second thoughts if they are stopping before you hit the stops on your throttle stick then maybe you've accidentally set some sort of limit, I vaguely remember one on the 8FG similar to the one on the Snap flap setting.

Ahh! Different end throws for each flap servo? Hmmm.. I will give that a try tonight. I have to say, the 9ZAP programming is less than intuitive! I should give in and by a newer tx although the 9ZAP is very capable. Me? Less so :eek:

Thanks Tom.

Tempting Tom but car MOT due in two weeks, road fund license needs renewing next week and it also needs a timing belt as soon as possible :eek:

A little late but I hope this may help if you still have a problem.

The article applies to 9C transmitters but the information may help

http://www.rcgroups....p offset futaba

Also some info here:

http://www.rcmf.co.u...ic,65223.0.html

Thanks Scram

The rcgroups article about offset is interesting although I'm not sure that is causing my problem but it is worth giving it a try. The 9ZAP programming is quite unlike the 9C etc :eek:

George

George Young

To partly answer my own post I have managed to increase the amount of available flap throw on my 9ZAP tx. :cool:

I had searched through the popular forums looking for a solution to this issue and the common reference was the need to offset the flap neutral point (which I already knew). I came to realise that “offset” on the Futaba 9ZAP does not really do what you think it should unlike other Futaba models and other brands! However, on the 9ZAP “speed flap mixing” (SPF) does have the ability to offset the flap neutral point and with that enabled and 100% offset dialled in (and a tweak to linkages and other settings) I have greatly increased the amount of throw available and I am sorted. Result :D

G

• Like 1