Model Flying and the National Trust

Bear

Would it not be worthwhile asking the BMFA to include a reminder, in the BMFA News, regarding the BMFA / NT 'no power flight on NT slopes' agreement ?

No BMFA member could then claim ignorance of the rules as a defence.

It might be fruitful to write to the various RC magazines as well.

• Like 1

Would it not be worthwhile asking the BMFA to include a reminder, in the BMFA News, regarding the BMFA / NT 'no power flight on NT slopes' agreement ?

No BMFA member could then claim ignorance of the rules as a defence.

It might be fruitful to write to the various RC magazines as well.

One small point, can someone tell me exactly (chapter and verse) where this agreement/rule is set out. I have looked at the current BMFA handbook (2010) and cannot find it. (Least ways, the "Search" facility can't find it) 

If you look at my opening post the National |Trust  policy is outlined there. With regards to the BMFA policy that was confirmed to me in my conversation with David Phipps back in November.

Tom, thanks for that NT web page. Armed with it I definitely agree with Devonflyer that "Someone" should ask the BMFA people to bring this to members attention and, possibly, a reference to it in the BMFA handbook (to many people the Handbook is a Model Flyer's bible!!!) Maybe part of the problem is that the agreement was made in 1998 and people either have forgotten or they just did not know it existed. (as a format document I did not know of its existance)

As to who the "Someone" should be I don't know.

Bear, I tried your link and it came up "Page not found"

Further to my last post I have spoken with the BMFA (initially I wanted th know how members could ask for any amendments to the Handbook) I have been informed that the Handbook is due for a re-write soon and they will consider putting in some info about how the relationship between model flyers and the NT works (don't forget that not all NT land consists of slopes, some is flat and used by power flyers) Hopefully, this will help everyone.

Further to my last post I have spoken with the BMFA (initially I wanted th know how members could ask for any amendments to the Handbook) I have been informed that the Handbook is due for a re-write soon and they will consider putting in some info about how the relationship between model flyers and the NT works (don't forget that not all NT land consists of slopes, some is flat and used by power flyers) Hopefully, this will help everyone.

Also, don't forget that not all NT land is open access.

We fly off an NT site here in North Devon - but have had to get permission from the local NT Manager to do so.

Not sure what happened to my original link, it was working last week.

I have been thinking about an article for the BMFA news regarding "flying tourists", just general stuff like everyone standing together, that sort of thing. Could be useful to people visiting holiday spots.

Roger

• Administrators

Not sure what happened to my original link, it was working last week.

They may have changed their website, if you have the correct link pm it to me and Ill update the first post.

I usually have a quick flick through the BMFA mag and then bin it, any I've kept I'm struggling to find, so is there a readers letter page? If so maybe a letter to BMFA asking for conformation on the rules would get printed and be a short term solution?

I sort of doubt it would be possible to invoke a rule that may help keep NT sites available to unpowered Soarers, but perhaps BARCS members could be given a licence to fly pure gliders on NT slope sites, where it is currently permitted. 

BARCS members carrying their BARCS cards could then prove their legitimate use of the site if/when questioned. 

Just a thought.

Jef

I would have thought that the last thing we would want is to go down the licencing route. Why licence only BARCS members? What about the vast majority of slope flyers (myself included) who are not BARCS members? Or are we all supposed to become members, simply to carry on with our chosen hobby?

The fewer regulations , the better as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Licensing sounds heavy-handed, expensive to set up and police, and unlikely to be successful. I agree with several other contributors that publicity is a good way forward. Personally, I am in favour of signs on the site, which can be used, on site, to demonstrate to violators of the rules, exactly what the rules are. Articles in BMFA News and in other mags would also be helpful.

Who can honestly say they have never flown power on NT land then?

Me, never needed to especially in Cornwall we have at least 6 power clubs I could fly from, with club  fees starting at £15 a year! But if your down here on holiday most clubs are happy to let you fly with them, including R&DMAC. Then there's Bodmin moor, the Goss moor, hundreds of miles of beach's, English China Clay land, more rough land than you can shoot a pheasant on........

Roger

Shedofdread

Who can honestly say they have never flown power on NT land then?

Me. Never felt the need to and was aware that I shouldn't.

Also, IIRC, in the case of BMFA insurance, it's conditional on having the landowners permission and therefore, when power flying on NT, BMFA insurance is invalidated.....

Me. I never had the need to as there are plenty of clubs around me of which I am a member of several.

The problem today is that many people feel that they can do whatever they want, whenever they want and wherever they want. It is their  "human right" to do so apparently. It is a sad reflection on modern society that even when the facts are explained to people that what they are doing is wrong, that they carry on regardless of the effects of their actions on others. If the loss of flying at Staggy or at any other NT site is the result of this, watch out all you rule breakers, I SHALL BE EXTREMELY ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ceebee

Adam Richardson

Ive been power flying today and had to walk down a few bridal paths and foot paths which had the little national trust logo on them (somthing ive never noticed before), So is it the paths that are national trust or all of the surrounding land?