French Le Fish

Tilman Baumann

Tilman Baumann

I lost my fish in a tree down the Bowl at Harting.

I programmed the model on a old transmitter in the field. Got the camber wrong and had to compensate a lot with the elevator to even keep it pushing forward.

Instead of landing to fix that, I went on to have fun. When inverted it fell down like a stone.

The model landed in a tree, seemingly intact. But out of reach.

The way it landed I expected the wind to push it down any day later.

I contacted the local club and asked if anyone found it. But no luck. It was already gone. :(

I hope the new owner has fun with it. Can't blame him too much for not returning it. I had not put my number on it. :o

But if anyone sees it flying... (unmissable colour scheme :thumbsup:  )

• 5 weeks later...
Le French Fish

Tilman

I have your French Fish Glider!

I am a paraglider pilot and I saw it at the bottom of the bowl while flying. I contacted the local club and tried contacting you via FaceBook. I have joined this forum to try to make contact this way!

I live near Liphook on the A3.

Hope to get your glider back to you soon!!

RJ

• Like 1

Tilman Baumann

Awesome. Thanks a million times for getting in contact. I don't have a car but I will try to find a way to come over there somehow. Worst case by train I guess. (I'm in Guilford)

• Like 1

Le French Fish

This forum is not the best place for arranging a retrieve... send us a text on 07503733557 and we can arrange something. If we get a northerly I could meet you at Harting!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
chiloschista

Hi Tilman, all,

thanks for this thread!

I finally found an EPP seller in Switzerland with fair prices.

So I'm starting building a Le Fish, or Swiss Fish or whatever else it is called.

I will do it from scratch, designed in Rhino and cut with CNC hot wire machine.

I have the choice then to do it as I would like it.

I noticed your one has TP airfoils instead the original SBs.

Do you have any information about the benefit, if there is one, using this airfoil, seen the SB seems to work really well?

How do you feel it?

I'm in the desperate research of laminating film (0.17 and 0.3), but the only source I can find are in USA or on the bay, at crazy shipping prices (about $40.- for a roll).

Do you have a source to recommend, please?

Thanks a lot,

Ric

Tilman Baumann

My fish got too heavy. So it doesn't feel really right. And I have still quite little flight time with it.

I don't think I can tell you much.

http://www.flyingwings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=34_43&product_id=311 has good covering foil. It's tough and sturdy.

If you are looking for really lightweight stuff.

My Wildthing is covered with this stuff http://www.hotwirefoamcutter.co.uk/Other%20Products.html the black and silver.

It's way too soft and fragile for this type of plane so I added a layer of traditional covering film around the leading edges. Worked very well I have to say.

I would stick with the SB foils, they really are excellent in that application.  And do try to build as light as possible (not an "extreme Swiss-cheesed" light - which is good for maximum 3 knots only - , but just avoid excess weight).

Laminating film is used everywhere for laminating documents: one would think it's available universally?

Tilman Baumann

Laminating film is used everywhere for laminating documents: one would think it's available universally?

The quality is unfortunately not universal.

chiloschista

I would stick with the SB foils, they really are excellent in that application.  And do try to build as light as possible (not an "extreme Swiss-cheesed" light - which is good for maximum 3 knots only - , but just avoid excess weight).

That's what I would do as first, but TP seems to perform better on polars.

As I'm going to build two, for my son and me, I could do one per airfoil and see.

About laminating film that what I thought indeed, but I have difficult finding one suitable and, as Tilman mentions, with the wanted quality and thickness.

Ric

I got my laminating film for my Le Fish from here:

http://www.chilvers.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=132

I'm sure there must be a similar supplier in Switzerland?  

I bought a roll of 38 micron film. The only snag is that you've got to buy a 100m roll, which would cover at least 20 Le Fish, but it's not that expensive.  

If I ever run out of film, I'd buy the same again, as it's plenty strong enough and it's very light.

chiloschista

I got my laminating film for my Le Fish from here:

http://www.chilvers.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=132

I'm sure there must be a similar supplier in Switzerland?  

I bought a roll of 38 micron film. The only snag is that you've got to buy a 100m roll, which would cover at least 20 Le Fish, but it's not that expensive.  

If I ever run out of film, I'd buy the same again, as it's plenty strong enough and it's very light.

Thanks!

After some hours of research I finally found a seller who has 42mic and 75mic laminating film for a really fair price.

A model shop offered it at sfr4.-/m, which is almost the same price in the UK shops already linked. That's four times the price!

Here is what I found:

http://www.bodruck.ch/pdf/Laminieren_Katalog2014_web.pdf

I just asked for an offer and seems minimum quantity is 30m.

Ric

Mhmm, minimum quantity is 150m!

Btw the price is not that much high. I think I will buy a roll of 43micron, as this seems to be the thinner they have.

It seems to be the most used by the LeFish builders.

Glossy or matt? I guess glossy ...

Ric

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ensemble,

production started = :)

I did cut pieces for two LeFish, with two different airfoils (SB96V-VS and TP66E-S).

Will see how it goes.

First idea was to do elastoflaps, but after a promising test the result was not as expected: unuseful ...

Now I have to convert the CNC to milling to cut some pieces.

I have on order 150m (= :o) of laminating film.

Pictures of the pieces and progress can be seen here.

Best regards,

Ric

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Anyone have the printable milling guides for this kit? Would be appreciated, thanks.

Darren

EDIT: made do without, always check kits are complete when purchasing!