recharging an overdischarged lipo

Weysoar

I inadvertently left my TX on for a few days in its case, the 2650mah 3S lipo is now at 4.6v and the volts are unevenly distributed between the cells (one is 1.5v), just a chance, can lipos be given the kiss of life?  I've tried putting it on the charger which won't accept it (volts too low).

I inadvertently left my TX on for a few days in its case, the 2650mah 3S lipo is now at 4.6v and the volts are unevenly distributed between the cells (one is 1.5v), just a chance, can lipos be given the kiss of life?  I've tried putting it on the charger which won't accept it (volts too low).

You are lucky it hasn't puffed up or worse, keep it outdoors !   Some people say they have connected to a NimH setting charger for a few minutes then put back under a Lipo setting and it has worked, never tried it myself, proceed with caution !

if you can plug directly into the balance lead and charge each individual cell you may be able to save it. i have had good results with a life cell pack.  

but keep an eye on it, dont leave unattended while charging especially if you have to temporarily use a different program.

but - you could just look around - there are some very inexpensive batteries around , it doesnt make much sense to mess with them, other than for interest sake

You are lucky it hasn't puffed up or worse, keep it outdoors !   Some people say they have connected to a NimH setting charger for a few minutes then put back under a Lipo setting and it has worked, never tried it myself, proceed with caution !

I got a 3s going again by putting it on a 12v lead acid charge. Enough till the voltage was high enough for the charger to accept it on the lipo programme.

If you leave it a day or two the voltage may recover to the point where it will take a charge.

I had this with a 3s pack we use in our timing gear recently. Don't know how good it is since but it took a full charge.

Its not worth trying to recover it IMHO , I would never trust it myself

The cost is cheap enough to easily replace it (and its safer) ,

Best thing you can do I think is buy a LiFePo4 pack , from HK UK .

but if you must have LiPo then heres a link for you http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16529__Turnigy_2650mAh_3S_1C_LLF_Tx_Pack_Futaba_JR_.html

The Turnigy Battery is £8 , that link is UK warehouse , and postage may be a couple of pounds for 48 hr delivery , or 24 hr delivery may cost £5

Bob

p.s I don't think Lipos are as Dangerous as some scare stories , but there are Dangers with them that are facts .

Better safe than sorry I would say

You can restore them but they are not as good, so would not bother.

I did try it, by charging .5 amp on a NmHi setting until the volts were 3.2 per cell, then switching to LiPo setting. Came up but did not hold charge :( - :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

I have revived cells before by doing 30 second charges on a NiMH charger.

Essentially - just getting is high enough that the lipo charger will take over.

It really depends on how out of balance you are. If far out - then you will want to deal with by charging individually via the balance lead.

Regardless. A moderately risky procedure, and should be done in a safe location, and actively monitored.

After that - 50/50 the pack keeps working well :)

Tilman Baumann

I had a battery with one cell very highly discharged and one OK.

Balance charging was no good.

After I charged the cells individually is back to normal.

Balancing might not be powerful to revive a dead cell