Southern Winter lg, rd 2, Whitesheet Sun, 7th Dec.

Gromit

Hi Guys,

Registration is now open for round 2 of the Southern Winter lg, at Whitesheet on 7th Dec.

Please send your entries to myself at swallacegromit@aol.com by 9.00 pm Friday 5th Dec.

Name,

Freq.

BMFA no

Models

Looking ahead at both the BBC & XC forecast's ( a long way ahead I know ) its looking very favourable for us ;-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2642730

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/mere_Wiltshire

Round 1 was a 'Cracking' opener to the Southern Winter league 2014-15, we had 14 pilots, wind, sunshine, great racing, and great fun.

Martin Drewett had a fantastic day and was the deserved winner, Tony Livingstone was Runner up & Graeme Mahoney third.

Newcomers to F3f are encouraged & guaranteed a warm welcome, lots of help, tips & advice will be freely given. The Winter lg comps are a great way of finding out what F3f is all about.

Meet time will be 9.00 am for a 9.30 start,

Stu,  Whitesheet Comp Sec.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

The entry list for rd 2 of the Southern Winter league this Sunday is quickly up & running B) .

Pete Burgess.

Roger Hilman.

Stuart Wallace,

John Treble.

Ian Falconer.

Neil Rogers.

Andy Burgoyne.

Graeme Mahoney.

Tony Livingstone.

Joe Cubitt.

Greg Lewis.

John Philips.

Hi Guys.

Here is the up to date list for rd 2 of the Southern Winter lg at Whitesheet on Sunday. At present we have 13 pilots. 

If you have yet to send in your entry, would you do so by 9.00pm this evening please. I will accept entries on the day, however don't blame me if your first up to fly ;)

Send your entry to myself at swallacegromit@aol.com .

Pete Burgess.

Roger Hilman.

Stuart Wallace,

John Treble.

Ian Falconer.

Neil Rogers.

Andy Burgoyne.

Graeme Mahoney.

Tony Livingstone.

Joe Cubitt.

Greg Lewis.

John Philips.

Jack Cubitt.          ( 35 meg )

Here are the latest BBC & XC Forecasts;-  

http://www.xcweather.../mere_Wiltshire

Hi Guys,

Round 2 of the Southern Winter lg at Whitesheet on Sunday is ON.

See my previous post for the entry list. note;- this is not the flying order.

Meet at 9.00 for a 9.30 start.

Stu Whitesheet Comp Sec.

Hi Guys,

BBC & XC forecasts are now very similar, an early morning W swinging WNW for the rest of the day, 13 - 23 mph , with long sunny spells. This will put us at the far end of 'Morgans'  (slope on your left) .

http://www.xcweather.../mere_Wiltshire

Note;- A volunteer for 'buzzer Supremo' would be most welcome .

Stu, Whitesheet Comp Sec.

Stu, can you please remind me of the post code for the pub at the end of the road/track.

Here you go Pete.

The Red Lion

Kilmington

Wiltshire
BA12 6RP

Stu.

Hi Guys,

14-28mph WNW, unbroken sunshine & max of 9 o'C for us today :drool: , we should have a 'Cracking' day.

See you on the slope.

note;- No takers for buzzer supremo yet, maybe I should have asked for 'nominations'  ;) lol

Stu.

Couple of pics from today

Tha wind gods smiled on us today

Rarer than hens teeth, the Falcon, well flown by Jack until mechanical issues forced him to fly the spare.

Lovely shot of John T's Rot. She survived to fly another day after an elevator wiper got stuck making John fly with full down just to fly straight and level, well done sir,

Our CD, thanks to Stu and Joe for organising and sitting in the middle all day... Cracking!

Post comp photo call

Superb day, in not too cold winter sunshine, it doesn't get much better.

Graeme

• Like 5

good day today lads ....nearly as good as the venison and wild mushroom pie last night ......

and well done John on your buzzing duties

Hi Guys,

Nightmare drive home, I'm on the case now downloading the results, give me another 20 mins please.

Stu.

As its now late, & I've a banging headache & truly kn****d here's just a brief summary & the result, i'l post a full report tomoz.

We had 12 pilots at Whitesheet today for rd 2 of the Southern Winter lg. Conditions during the day were rather challenging, a blustery & strong WNW made for a very 'bumpy ride' at times, I must say though, everyone handled these conditions very well, it wasn't easy at times to keep your racing line. Conditions for all pilots were very similar throughout each rd, this made the comp very even for everyone.

We flew 9 rounds .

OK the result.

1,    Tony Livingstone      7694.08

2,    Graham Mahoney    7566.94

3,    Greg Lewis               7343.10

4,    Jack Cubitt                7258.69

5,    Andy Burgoyne         7201.53

6,    Stuart Wallace          7152.29

7,    Pete Burgess            7044.37

8,    John Treble               6860.04

9,    Ian Falconer              6665.81

10   Joe Cubitt                  6636.88

11,  R Hilman                   6193. 66

12,  Neil Rogers               5975. 27

FTD Tony Livingstone , rd 6  37.71.

Round Winners;-

Rd 1,    Graeme Mahoney      45.13

2,    Stuart Wallace.          53.33

3,    Graeme Mahoney.     46.32

4,    Greg Lewis.                41.31

5,    Tony Livingstone.       41.65

6,    Tony Livingstone.       37.31

7,     Andy Burgoyne.         42.06

8,     Graeme Mahoney.     45.49

9,     Jack Cubbitt.              50.04

A win then for 'Mr Whitesheet' Tony Livingstone, congratulations Tony.  

Very well done to Graham for being runner up, & to Greg on his third place.

I'l post a full report tomoz.

Some thankyou's are due;- Many thanks to Tony for arriving early just after 8.00am, and helping me carry all the gear out to the far end of our NW slope, both Tony & I got soaked doing this when we were caught out by a heavy shower.

Thanks too to Greg Lewis & John Treble for sharing the buzzer supremo duties, & to Joe Cubitt for helping me run the middle.

Thankyou also to those who helped pack away the course & lug the gear back to my car.

Stu , Whitesheet Comp Sec.

• Like 2

Southern Winter lg rd 2 comp report.

Both the BBC & XC weather forecasts for rd 2's comp, were forecasting an early morning moderate SW with some rain.  The rain was forecast to move away around 9.30, & the wind swing around to a WNW direction. On arriving a little after 8.00am, the wind was indeed coming from the SW. After comparing weather forecast predictions with Tony, we both made a couple of trips each to carry all the gear out to the far end of Whitesheets NW slope, at this point the slope curves around to a WNW. The plan was to get the course up early prior to the meet time of 9.00am, this would enable racing to get underway asap. Typically during our efforts to get set up early, the rain arrived, both Tony & I got 'a bit wet'.

During this period of rain, the wind increased & the windsock steadily began to swing 45 degree's onto the slope. After 30 mins or so the rain began to clear, brighter weather began rolling in on a 15mph WNW. By the time everyone had made their way out to the slope and we'd finished setting up the course, the sun was out as forecast and we were ready to race.

Round 1,

In the opening round we each in turn discovered that the conditions for racing were going to be challenging. The 15mph wind was bang on the slope as forecast, the air however was very turbulent. Average times for this rd were low 50's. Fifth pilot to flyJack Cubitt flying his Alex MC Meekin Falcon, set the target for this rd posting a 51.48. This stood up untill 11th pilot to fly Graham Mahoney flying his Pitbull, knocked a full 6 seconds off Jack's time posting an impressive 45.13. Next up & last to fly in the rd was Tony Livingstone, Tony flying his Fossa challenged Graeme's time hard posting a 46.77 to take 2nd place. The Opening rd therefore went to Graham Mahoney.

Round 2,

This was a very closely contested round. Jack Cubitt set the target to beat for the rd with a 53.41. This was a good rd for myself flying my Vampire, i posted a 53.33 to take the lead. Tony Livingstone pressed hard posting a 54.19 to take third place. I myself therefore won this round.

Round 3,

First to fly in each rd was Greg Lewis, Greg flying his Pitbull set the time to beat right from the start with a 50.49. this stood up until last but one to fly Graham Mahoney flew. Just as in rd 1 Graham again knocked several seconds off the target for the round, this time taking 4 seconds off of it. It was again down to Tony to mount a challenge on Graeme's time. Tony fell just short with a 47.11 to take 2nd place and push Greg down to third.

Round 4,

The wind for this round had increased to 25 mph. Greg Lewis again set the target for the round with a superbly flown what was at that point the FTD with a 41.31, this was going to be a real challenge for everyone to try and beat. Andy Burgoyne who had travelled down from Shropshire for the event posted a 47.24 flying his Radical, to take 2nd place. Third place was Tony Livingstone with a 48.00. A convincing rd 4 win then for Greg.

Round 5,

John Treble had to change over to his back up model, his Race M for this round following a problem with an elevator wiper on his Rotmilan in the previous round. John wasn't phased at all by this forced change, John flew very accurately in the challenging conditions to post a 42.83. Graeme Mahoney  flew well posting a 44.23. This left only Tony to try & beat John's time. Tony had his Fossa on step early and it was going to be close as to whether he'd manage to do so.Tony's time was a 41.65, this therefore won Tony the round .

Round 6,

Greg Lewis again opened the round setting the time to beat, this being an impressive 42.75. Ian Falconer flying his new Jedi, had a good round 6 posting a 46.66. Greg was looking good to win the round until last to fly Tony stepped up to fly. Tony promptly flew what was to be the FTD with an excellent 37.31. Tony's flight was very impressive, his Fossa was 'on step' and really pinging out of the turns. Another round win then for Tony

Round 7,

This was a good rd for Andy b with his Radical, Andy posted a time of 42.06. Pete Burgess flying his Needle 115 had a good rd 7, Pete had been flying well throughout the day, in this rd Pete posted a very nicely flown 43.69. Jack Cubitt damaged his Falcon part way through the day so was now sharing his dad Joe's new Vampire. This made the father & son rivalry between them all the more amusing to witness. Jack posted a 46.00 to take 3rd place in this round. A round win then for Andy b.

Round 8.

John Treble was again enjoying his Race M, John posted a 46.74. This was another good round for Pete Burgess, Pete posted a 47.85. Graeme Mahoney again flew very well and took the rd with a 45.49. 

Round 9,

This was another very closely contested round. Jack Cubitt had now got a liking for his dad Joe's Vampire, Jack posted a 50.04. I myself had another good round with my own Vampire posting a 51.40. Tony Livingstone flying his Fossa posted a 51.32 to seperate the two Vampire's. A round win then for Jack Cubitt.

The last round in progress was planned to be at 3.30, however, during rd 9 the bright sunshine was by now low in the sky & directly behind the line of sight for base B. it had became very difficult for many pilots for their eyes to quickly adjust to this brightness when making the turn at this base. I therefore called a pilots briefing to discuss the matter, we all agreed that unfortunately due to the issue with the sun we should end the comp earlier than planned.

The Result;-

1st;- Tony Livingstone. Tony was the deserved winner having achieved two round wins, three 2nd

place's and two 3rd's. Tony also achieved the fastest time of the day with an excellent 37.31.

2nd;-  Graeme Mahoney. Graeme too had a 'Cracking' day achieving three round wins and two 3rd's. Flying just after myself I didn't get to see Graham's flights, Graeme obviously flew very well throughout the day.

3rd;-   Greg Lewis, Greg's decision to keep his Pitbull proved to be a good move. Flying very well throughout the day, Greg achieved a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd place.

4th;-  Jack Cubitt. Jack flew very well throughout the day achieving a round win, a 2nd & two 3rd places. As already mentioned, for much of the day Jack flew Joe's new Vampire, a model Jack himself had never flown before. I think Joe is going to have a hard job keeping the Vampire for himself.

Roger Hilman travelled up from Newquay to take part, Roger struggled on throughout the day in considerable pain after aggravating his back. I look forward to Roger joining us in January for rd 3 when I hope his back has significantly recovered.

Andy b travelled down from Shropshire to attend the event, and represent the 'nasty midlanders'.

Newcomer Neil Rogers placing doesn't reflect how well he flew, Neil judged the bases & handled the difficult conditions very well.

Pete Burgess made the journey from Eastbourne to join us, Pete flew his Needle 115 consistently well throughout the day.

Greg Lewis flew his striking patriotic schemed Pitbull, a model he decided to keep after advertising it for sale a few weeks ago. The Pitbull is a model that I'm very impressed by.

Ian Falconer flew his gorgeous looking new Jedi, being the next pilot to fly after myself I didn't get the chance to see Ian's flights though so cant comment on how the Jedi performed.

Joe Cubitt was flying his new Vampire, Joe had previously only had the opportunity to maiden his Vampire in light winds, conditions that were very different to those we experienced throughout the comp. Joe let his son Jack fly the Vampire too after Jack damaged his Falcon early on in the day. Jack was immediately at ease with Joe's Vampire and was to finish the day in 4th place.

As for my own flying, I managed one rd win and a 3rd a 4th the rest of my results were mid table.

Many thanks to all who entered and supported the comp. it was a very enjoyable and challenging days racing.

My thanks again to John Treble & Greg Lewis for sharing the Buzzer Supremo duties, Joe Cubbitt for helping me CD, Tony Livingstone for arriving an hour early to help me carry the course out and get set up, and to all who helped pack away and carry the gear back to my car.

I shall send the Spreadsheet to Martin today so that he can make it available for everyone to view.

Stu, Whitesheet Comp Sec

• Like 5