Danish F3F World Cup/Eurotour May 2016

simon_t

Martin Newnham and myself decided to make the long road trip from the UK to support this event, especially as it uses the same group of slopes as will be used for the World Championships in October this year.  We left Folkestone on the Eurotunnel at 19:20 Wednesday, and arrived here yesterday at 10 in the morning.  This allowed us a long days sport flying, with some runs on a timed course that the Poles brought with them.  This has proved very useful to Martin who has been able to get a better light air set up for his FS4.  

I was able to fly my 'swimming' Shinto and confirmed that it has no ill effects after floating for 1.5 hours in the North Sea a couple of weeks ago.  Of course it has replacement radio gear inside!  

Today started with no wind.  Eventually there was enough to fly Alulas, and we had a great 'Light Combat' session, with much fun and laughter.  I had one fine kill where I tapped my Alula onto a Trek below, and his hatch fell off and the battery and regulator fell out to dangle 8" below the model.

Eventually at 12:15 we started the comp in about 4 m/s.  Times were in the mid 60s, and I was happy with a 61, although the round was eventually won with a 58 I think.   I had a steady day with no good or bad conditions, although in the last round there was a substantial change for the better after maybe the first 1/3 of pilots had flown.  The wind got up to 7 m/s, and Knudsen Hebsgaard made a 48 second run which made my 60 look very poor.  This continued to the end of the round, although it was dropping for the last two pilots - The last pilot to fly today was Martin, who was not happy with having to fly last, but as he got a 52, it turned out OK for him. Also, he had won round 2.

At the end of the day, with 4 rounds flown, Martin was top of the shop.  He didn't put a foot wrong all day, and flew accurately and consistently.  My 4 the round flight dropped me to 5th place - not bad, but could have been much better.  The points are very close though, I think a bout 40 between Martin and myself.  So big congrats to Martin, and fingers crossed for the next two days

Full results at:

http://www.f3xvault.com/?action=event&function=event_view&event_id=629

Simon

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Greg Dakin

Fantastic result Martin - best of luck for tomorrow!!!! 

You clearly don't need that FS5.....best hand it over to me :)

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Greg Dakin said:

Fantastic result Martin - best of luck for tomorrow!!!! 

You clearly don't need that FS5.....best hand it over to me :)

Cheers,

Greg

Considering the colour, you are probably the only person he could hand it over to :)

PS Good luck today boys

• Like 2

Scores are up on f3x vault - very close result in the top few places. Excellent stuff Martin, looks like you flew more consistently than most, only just missing out on top spot. Bodes well for October. Safe trip back to both of you.

• Like 6

Keep yer eyes on Espen mate he,s coming ...with two round wins now and only 119 seconds off top spot! what is he flying?

• Like 1

Well done Martin - from the scores it looks like excellent, consistent flying. We now have great expectations of you for the WC! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 29/05/2016 at 08:40, jwest532 said:

Considering the colour, you are probably the only person he could hand it over to :)

PS Good luck today boys

er hmmm :bye:

A great weekend for Martin, he was flying at his very best and after the first day he always drew a crowd.  Fantastic effort, both skill-wise and mentally to keep the fight going right to the last round.  And so close in the end.  Some of his flights on the last day were sublime, and he found a great balance between focus and relaxed style even under pressure.  If he can maintain that at the WC in October he has a very real chance of crack at the top place.  A real pleasure to watch and be part of.  The FS 4 with improved tail was definitely helping, and Thorsten's FS5 looked very good as well.

My weekend was somewhat disappointing.  The first 3 rounds went pretty well, but flying early in the round was a disadvantage when conditions changed significantly in the 4th, the last of day 1.  In the light conditions my 60 seconds was competitive - but a few pilots later the wind increased from about 4 m/s to about 7 and stayed there for the rest of the round, and I ended up losing 12 seconds and nearly 200 points to the round winner.  That meant I already had a poor drop after 4 rounds, with lots to go.  With points generally very tight at the top, a further 2 rounds on the 2nd day in below par air left me with nowhere to go, and started me doubting set-ups/flying style etc. which dragged my flying down a bit.  There was some variability in the air on all three days, and I only had one round where I got good air, but still not quite enough to get the 1000.  In general I was happy with my flying - smooth, no cuts or semi-cuts , good pumps.  No obvious mistakes.  I was flying the Shinto which had spent over an hour in the North Sea only two weeks earlier, but (with all new electrics) it was as good as ever and has not suffered from it's swim - a great relief!  

The combination of weather, slopes and friends from many countries, including Sverirr who travelled from Iceland, meant we had a fantastic weekend.  The Danes were well organised in a relaxed way.  I think Martin and myself are looking forward to returning for the World Champs (although not the 1600 mile round trip in the car).

Simon

• Like 7

Greg Dakin

Wonderful result guys, and great to hear that Martin's flying peaked at this comp!

Sorry to hear of the air variability that you experienced Simon, it's always a little frustrating to travel a long

distance and not enjoy balanced conditions. Great practice for October though, it's all looking good for Team GBR

and the FS5 club......

Cheers,

Greg