Original Taranis Programming on the transmitter

Jef Ott

Hi Guys,

Having spent some considerable time trying to do stuff on the PC and then trying to get that onto the Taranis Tx, without any success, I elected to do all of the programming for my gliders on the Tx itself.

No problems with any of it until I tried to achieve a simple switchable and controllable throttle. 

It's Thursday and I may have a competition on Saturday. 

Has anyone managed to do what I am aiming to achieve? 

If so, could you describe / picture how you have done it please?

Many thanks,

Jef 

What do you mean by switchable / controllable?

A proportional throttle that can be switched off or the throttle on a switch?  I assume throttle on/off on a switch is the norm for e-gliders.

If you have a proportional throttle you want to turn off I think the best way is to go to custom function and select safety switch as the type.

Another way would be to make the switch turn off the mixer for the proportional channel, and in another mix turn on a MAX value of -100.

Try this, it is what I use from Pete Hindle's set up:-

Custom Switches

CS1  AND  SF up  SE up

CS2  AND  SF up  SE  middle

CS3  AND  SF up  SE down

I use Channel 7 for Motor on L H slider

MIXER

Mix Name Motor

Source     LS

Weight  -70

Offset  -8

Trim OFF

Curve  !CV4

Modes   1

+ Next line in Mixer menu

MIX Name  ______-

Source   MAX

Weight    -100

Offset      0

Trim   OFF

Curve    Diff   0

Modes     234

I to do not use the PC as find it easier using the Tx to set it up. The values will probably not be the same on your set up  the -70 and -8 .

Go into the test screen to see if it works

Barcs 230

isoaritfirst

There is an electric set up on Mike Shellins Rc Soar pages thats downloadable.

Together with instructions to set up.

Even if its not exactly as you want it, it will make a good start that you can adjust as you learn more.

1 hour ago, EssexBOF said:

Try this, it is what I use from Pete Hindle's set up:-

Custom Switches

CS1  AND  SF up  SE up

CS2  AND  SF up  SE  middle

CS3  AND  SF up  SE down

I use Channel 7 for Motor on L H slider

MIXER

Mix Name Motor

Source     LS

Weight  -70

Offset  -8

Trim OFF

Curve  !CV4

Modes   1

+ Next line in Mixer menu

MIX Name  ______-

Source   MAX

Weight    -100

Offset      0

Trim   OFF

Curve    Diff   0

Modes     234

I to do not use the PC as find it easier using the Tx to set it up. The values will probably not be the same on your set up  the -70 and -8 .

Barcs 230

That what's i said re using a max value of -100 on a switch that turns off the other mix. I would use the safety switch however.

Your suggested setup uses certain flight modes that Jef might not use and custom switches that aren't directly relevant. 

You want to be a bit careful switching motors on/off if you don't know what the effects are going to be. 

2 hours ago, satinet said:

You want to be a bit careful switching motors on/off if you don't know what the effects are going to be. 

I am using a servo plugged into the ESC position of my Rx, to do my setting up. I know the range of movement and the off position that the servo has to indicate, as I have plugged it into a system that works with another transmitter. Only when I can achieve the movement required will I connect the ESC.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will have a go after work tonight.

2 hours ago, satinet said:

That what's i said re using a max value of -100 on a switch that turns off the other mix. I would use the safety switch however.

Your suggested setup uses certain flight modes that Jef might not use and custom switches that aren't directly relevant. 

The SF  switch is the arming switch when back towards the back of Tx, the motor is OFF. Towards the front it is LIVE. It can be checked in the screen that shows the movements, as with the Arming switch  off there is no movement shown untill you arm it .

As a check you can plug a servo into the motor channel,7 in my case, to see it working, rather than the ESC to motor.

Jeff

I use overrides to achieve what you are attempting. I use Switch G as an 'Engine off'  in the special Functions to Override throttle with whatever value you choose. if you assign all 3 switch positions to a specific value (for an ESC - Sw G up +100, Sw G centre 0 and Sw G down -100 - in my case override CH3) then this will give you a three position throttle - you can then reassign your throttle control to spoilers or whatever.

Martyn

8 hours ago, EssexBOF said:

Hmmm.... I am (as I said) using a servo, and I think Tom is right, as I have done all I want to without using any flight modes, I didn't have any luck. 

Have tried using flight modes (switched by the momentary switch), and still no joy - I am probably doing that wrong. What I get is full on (motor control) or full off, depending on the position of the momentary switch and regardless of the slider position.

So I started reading the info on the E-Soar site, but after two pages of being told about it, I still could not find the nitty-gritty bits that I want, laid out as EssexBOF has done.

Any more suggestions?    

8 hours ago, satinet said:

If you have a proportional throttle you want to turn off I think the best way is to go to custom function and select safety switch as the type.

Another way would be to make the switch turn off the mixer for the proportional channel, and in another mix turn on a MAX value of -100.

Yes this is what I want Tom. 

How do I do it?

Have tried using flight modes (switched by the momentary switch), and still no joy - I am probably doing that wrong. What I get is full on (motor control) or full off, depending on the position of the momentary switch and regardless of the slider position.

So I started reading the info on the E-Soar site, but after two pages of being told about it, I still could not find the nitty-gritty bits that I want, laid out as EssexBOF has done.

Any more suggestions?

Jef, if you want what I think you want, it's a two liner in your motor channel CH7:

CH7    MAX Weight (-100%) (Off)
     R Thr Weight (+100%) Switch (SF-down) (Variable)
  • The first line forces the motor to off (-100).
  • The second line is your variable motor value, from the throttle stick. By default, OpenTx adds up all the mixer outputs - each line is in effect a single contribution to the overall channel output. In this case, though, you want it to over-ride the first line; you do this by setting the mixer's multiplex parameter to 'REPLACE' (displayed as an 'R' at the start of the line).

So with SF up, the motor is forced to Off. With SF down, the motor is active.

It's still not particularly safe, as the motor could suddenly burst into life. To force the motor to idle first requires a bit more work.

Hi Mike.

I am using Ch4 for motor control.

The momentary I am trying to use is on SH.

The slider I am trying to use is RS.

Does what you have written still apply (as I am not using the throttle stick)?

Thanks for your input. 

Best regards to all,

Jef

Also, as time goes by, I am getting increasingly concerned about the jitter I am getting every 10 or 15 seconds, just on the motor channel, with servos attached to rudder and elevator channels too. As repeated unwanted motor starts will cost me a score in the comp this weekend, it is, I suppose, more important than the mental issues I am getting with programming the thing!

Are these jitters common? (on the servos not my stress induced twitches!)

Jef

8 minutes ago, Jef said:

Hi Mike.

I am using Ch4 for motor control.

The momentary I am trying to use is on SH.

The slider I am trying to use is RS.

Does what you have written still apply (as I am not using the throttle stick)?

Thanks for your input. 

Best regards to all,

Jef

Jef, on second thoughts, I misunderstood. I'm guessing you want to switch between on/off throttle (SH), and variable throttle (RS), and OFF? This should do it, using SA to select the mode:

CH4   MAX Weight (-100%) (Off) 
    R RS  Weight (+100%) Switch (SA-down) (Variable)
    R SH  Weight (-100%) Switch (SA-up)   (OnOff)
  • Lines 2 and 3 are 'REPLACE' lines.
  • Note negative -100 weight in line 3.
  • Take care as the motor will be live the moment SA is moved away from Up. More work required to make it sticky.

33 minutes ago, Jef said:

Are these jitters common? (on the servos not my stress induced twitches!)

Depends on the cause and extent of the jitter. If it's tx hardware induced, then it's up to the operating system to filter it out. My early tx had noticable jitter on 2.0.19, and others have had problems with 2.1.7. The developers have improved the jitter filter in 2.1.8 and upgrading has completely cured it for me, the servos are now quiet as mice.

The 10/15 second period is curious though. The Analog Inputs screen may provide a clue - if the figures vary constantly then try switching to 2.1.8. If OTOH the figures are stable but you're still getting jitter, the cause probably lies elsewhere, for example the servos in my Alula jittered uncontrollably with an X4R installed, not accounted for by the above. Switching to M-LINK via an HFMG3 module in the Taranis cured it.

Thanks Mike.

Sorry for being ambiguous; I don't want a switch between "on / off" and "variable throttle", all I want is a slider control on the throttle amount, and a deadman's handle to either allow, or prevent, the motor to run. 

WRT the jitters...

Will check the Taranis monitor for variations when the servo twitches, I was previously using the same rx with a Hacker module in a Royal 9 PRO, without jitters on the motor channel.

Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated.

Jef

10 minutes ago, Jef said:

Thanks Mike.

Sorry for being ambiguous; I don't want a switch between "on / off" and "variable throttle", all I want is a slider control on the throttle amount, and a deadman's handle to either allow, or prevent, the motor to run. 

Back to a 2-liner then, motor is off by default, RS over-rides if SH is pulled:

CH4       MAX Weight (-100%) (MotOff)
      R   RS  Weight (100%) Switch (SH-down)   (MotRS)

Second line is a 'Replace'.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rc-soar said:

Back to a 2-liner then, motor is off by default, RS over-rides if SH is pulled:

CH4       MAX Weight (-100%) (MotOff)
      R   RS  Weight (100%) Switch (SH-down)   (MotRS)

Second line is a 'Replace'.

EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marvellous! 

Thank you ever so much.

I owe you one.

And the icing on the cake? The jitters have gone - maybe went when I cleared out erroneous mixers which didn't quite do the motor control how I like.

Jef

Flew my oldest electric aileron model on the Taranis Tx today. Will be fitting a momentary switch on the left side of the tx (as per my original intention).

Range check was good, but when I put the Tx into servo test, the servos didn't go into test like I was expecting. I was expecting them to oscillate so that I could see if there was any problem at any point of the range check.

What does the Taranis's Servo Test normally do?

Later on, that very day... It was only a ten minute job fitting a momentary toggle on the left side of the Tx. The switch is pictured here in a halfway there state. When fully pulled, the motor starts at the speed set on the Right Slider. When released, for any reason, the motor stops. The momentary switch was robbed from a disused JR 388. I fitted it this way round so that the switch cannot be accidentally turned on by putting the Tx down on an uneven surface etc.

Taranis Modification.jpg