BMFA F5J Eastern League 25thSeptember

PeteMitchell

• Committee Member

This the final round of the Eastern League this year, and will take place at Little Bentley Polo Ground, nr Colchester, Essex on Sunday 25th September. This is a change of venue on previously advertised listings.

As before, if weather conditions at the time indicate that Sunday is going to be un-flyable, then we would try to use Saturday 24th to avoid a cancellation.. 

Please indicate if you are able to enter on either day or just one. Sunday will always take precedence over Saturday as long as the weather is OK for the Sunday.

Your model must have an approved height limiting/data logging device (AMRT) which must be able to show the max height your model goes to during its motor run time plus 10seconds after your motor is shut off.

The limiting function must be set to allow maximum 30seconds motor run time, and the height limiting function must either be disabled or set to 300m.
Motor restart is permitted at any time during flight for safety reasons, but will result in a zero score for that round.

Two classes of model can be entered, either Open or 2Metre but only one entry permitted.
Prizes awarded on the day and points scored will go towards the National League.

The competition will be run to BMFA Local rules, 6 rounds will be flown if conditions permit and there will not be a flyoff

Entry fee £10.00 (BMFA requirement) payable on the day

Proof of BMFA membership (card is sufficient) required - please supply your BMFA number with your entry

Timing on the day may vary, and all/any help to set up the field will be appreciated.
But the plan is as usual, book in from 9am.  First flight’s 10am.

Please post your entries on this thread by 8pm on Friday 23rd.September along with your BMFA number, Model class and frequency with a reserve if flying on 35Hz

Brian Austin                        Open     2.4          57851

Ray Gadenne                     Open     2.4          52822

Peter Ley                             Open     2.4          187230

Garry Matthews                  Open     2.4          32611

Russell Mexome                Open     2.4          165819

Peter Mitchell                      Open     2.4          33859

Paul Wainwright                 Open     2.4          47845

Tony Merritt                         2M         2.4          142327 

Collin Paddon                    Open     2.4          73473

Kevin Beal                           Open     2.4          40788

Graham Wicks                   Open     2.4          27713

Colin Boorman                  Open     2.4          52827

RandyTaylor                      2M          2.4          165603

Steve Knowles                  Open       2.4          70799

John Wicks                        Open       2.4          184830

13 hours ago, Nicholls said:

Pete,

Sorry, I won't be able to come as Little Bentley is too far for me.

As you did not come to the last Bartletts event, Ian, there was an explanation their as to why F5j events are not likely to be held their any more. For the event to count towards the BMFA F5j League, the right to be able to choose the F5j option of NO MOTOR RESTART, as opposed to having the restart being required for safety reasons for that site.

The majority of the flyers who enter the events at Bartletts feel this is a shame as it is so central to those wishing to enter from the S Eastern  area.

There have been problems at another event, where the motor has been switched on and not declared or noted until, after reading the logger later, that has had  an influence on this decision as well.

4 minutes ago, EssexBOF said:

As you did not come to the last Bartletts event, Ian, there was an explanation their as to why F5j events are not likely to be held their any more. For the event to count towards the BMFA F5j League, the right to be able to choose the F5j option of NO MOTOR RESTART, as opposed to having the restart being required for safety reasons for that site.

The majority of the flyers who enter the events at Bartletts feel this is a shame as it is so central to those wishing to enter from the S Eastern  area.

There have been problems at another event, where the motor has been switched on and not declared or noted until, after reading the logger later, that has had  an influence on this decision as well.

Thanks for that Brian.

I didn't know the bad news but fully understand the required motor restart requirement at Bartletts. [I have used motor restart to save my model 3 times, twice at other fields and once at Bartletts due to intermittent radio malfunction eventually traced to a fractured (hidden from view) extension wire.]

I had read the eSoaring forum regarding the recent "incident", explanations and repercussions, before and after many posts were deleted

For clarification, as I've not seen mention of it anywhere else, and I may not be thinking straight, you say " the right to be able to choose the F5j option of NO MOTOR RESTART" if this is the case who has the decision to make this choice and when (before the competition or on the day)? The BMFA Rule Book Page 60 States that we can set the ARMT to allow restart with conditions. Has this been revised?

Thanks

• Committee Member

Nothing has actually changed Ian.

Recent happenings have caused a lot of background investigations etc, and this has brought to light the realisation that at Bartletts we do not fully implement  the rules.

The important part of the BMFA amendment to the F5J rules is that you can either choose to use a motor restart, or not to use it.

At the moment the choice is yours, you can either use full FAI firmware which eliminates the possibility of an accidental  re start. Or you can use the amendment which allows a re start.

So far we have never had any one enter our events insisting on using FAI firmware so this problem has not arisen.

It is well known at Bartletts that we must do all possible to avoid models  landing out side the field in one 'sensitive' direction. So we insist on the motor re start option being used by everyone. Doing this eliminates any one who MAY want to use FAI firmware and this would meen that that comp could not qualify for the BMFA league.

I dont suppose our problem is unique to us, there must be other sites with a similar problem.

The BMFA-SFTC know of our particular dilemma, and are aware that not allowing re starts could effect future participation. I hope that a good solution can be found, because sadly this could be a problem that condemns the class  to become  just another elite 'F' class.

• Like 1

• Committee Member

Thanks for your entry's chaps.

Now is the time I usually start playing 'weather roulette'.:frantics:

It's not currently looking all that good, but still time to change for the better.

Due to other commitments, the comp will  be on Sunday, so I hope the weather cooperates.

• Like 1

• Committee Member

Sorry you cant make it to this one Simon.

Pleased to see that Wixys son John has now entered. That's if his dad can sort out a model and tx etc. Ahh!, just like the old days :D

Sunday is still forecasting possible lite rain at some at some time during the day, but the wind strength has reduced so I think we will have a good comp.

Russell Mexome is CD for this event and he will run the final matrix tomorrow evening.

Late entry always welcome.

12 hours ago, PeteMitchell said:

Sorry you cant make it to this one Simon.

Pleased to see that Wixys son John has now entered. That's if his dad can sort out a model and tx etc. Ahh!, just like the old days :D

Sunday is still forecasting possible lite rain at some at some time during the day, but the wind strength has reduced so I think we will have a good comp.

Russell Mexome is CD for this event and he will run the final matrix tomorrow evening.

Late entry always welcome.

Won't be the same without Les there winding John up:D

• Like 1