Southern England Flat Field Flying

Soaringjim1951

Soaringjim1951

I would love to have a go at "proper" thermal soaring, but I have no idea where there is a club within driving distance of Southampton that does it. Can anybody help?

I'd love to help but Northamptonshire is probably a bit far for you!

Perhaps try the BMFA club finder?

You can filter it by location, radius from that location and discipline (silent flight). I tried it just now and there seemed to be a few clubs in your area, exactly what type of silent flight they do I wouldn't know but you could try contacting them.

Cheers

Gary

Soaringjim1951

Thanks Gary B. The club finder was my first port of call. None of the clubs in the area seem to do any winch or self-launched gliding to any real purpose like F3J or F5J. I am hoping to find out that I am wrong!

I know that there are F3J/F5J fliers much further South than me but I'm not quite sure where they are.

You're quite welcome to message me to have a chat about getting started or even have a drive (just past Oxford) to see the gliders and equipment.

I fly old classic wooden designs off the bungee (sometimes slope), 100S Tracker and F3J off the winch and a couple of F5J gliders.

Cheers

Gary

You could try ....the Wessex Soaring Association.  The club site and flying field is located between cranborne and Wimborne and has members drawn quite widely, including around southampton. The club has both flat field and slope sites. The flat field side uses both conventional and electric launching.

• Like 1

Soaringjim1951

Thanks Ian

That's a good 2 hours away, so a bit far for a morning's flying. Looks like I am going to have to persuade my own club to get a usable field.