Optimus F5J extra Light

JFreeman

Just completed one of the first three Optimus Lights to hit the UK. The finish on the wings/fuz is superb and despite its total flying weight of only 1420grams the wing skins are very tough. This is not a foam core wing but a true monocoque unidirectional bi-axial carbon spread tow material. The speed range is no different to my other Optimus which weighs in at 1946grams. The major difference besides the weight is that it really hangs well in light conditions. I am hoping for great things with this model. Well done to CN-Models for producing an upgraded model for those light days, and thanks to Flightech for importing them.

IMG_5899.JPG

Battery I'm using is a 1000mah 3cell which gives me three launches to 100m which is more than enough for fun flying.

Interesting this, I have just completed a Pike Perfection SL 1300 lay up.  As the designation implies, 1300grs is target weight,  amazinly when I weighed it in RTF trim last night, it came out bang on 1300grs, using a 1300mah, 3S battery, I made very little concious effort to keep the weight down. I am sure that I could find at least another 50grs of weight saving.  It looks identical to the P/Perfection I bought last year S/H, the diferance, my 'old faithful' Pike weighs in at 1900grs RTF.

Pike/Perfection 1300 unflow as yet, waiting for sutiable maiden flight weather?

This new Pike is building a history, tied up with personal health issues and a very helpful Samba Models, my depest thanks for their patience and assistance.

CJS

thermaldoctor

Optimus won the last round of the Bartlett's league in testing conditions. Pilot was Keith Fisher.

In 4th place was Simon Thornton who started the contest with less than handful of flights on his brand new Optimus Xtra Light

Well done to both.

John Freeman won the last round of the 2017 midlands Esoaring league with his Optimus as well so congrats to John too. He also won the overall Midlands ESoaring league for 2016 in the face of stiff competition from some good pilots

• Like 1

9th flight of my Optimus, and only 3rd flight without ballast after 6 rounds last week in a windy competition.

Launched at 10am, one engine run to 79m, just over an hours flight - could have been rather longer but I wasn't sure how quickly the 1300mAh flight battery was being consumed by the BEC/Rx/Servo load.  I needn't have worried as I still had about 800mA left.

I am really liking this model - It is very responsive to controls and to show lift, and the penetration is excellent.

Simon 

Optimus_21_5_17.png

• Like 1

That's a great graph. I like the bit where you picked up the Thermal from around 35m, that's very satisfying.  How's your model preforming in windy conditions?

44 minutes ago, JFreeman said:

That's a great graph. I like the bit where you picked up the Thermal from around 35m, that's very satisfying.  How's your model preforming in windy conditions?

Very well. It is pretty responsive in roll, and the wing section is quite speedy. I went a long way downwind several times on that flat and it came back upwind very well. It is very easy to fly a precise approach path, even in windy conditions. 

Simon

• Like 1

thermaldoctor

Optimus won this weekend again too. Pilot this time was Steve Hannon at 3rd round Midlands Esoaring event.

Also the weekend just gone Bob Dickenson topped the preliminaries at the Portuguese F5j eurotour event against some stiff competition. Bob was flying his converted Optimus F3j model.

congrats to both

• 8 months later...

My #2 Optimus maidened today.  The original model was the ultralight - this one is about 200g heavier with the strong centre panel, for medium to windy conditions (although it was light winds today).  Highish launch, but other than a couple of clicks of up trim it flew just like #1 model.  Some very light lift about for a flight approaching 20 minutes, and perfect spot landing to finish with.  Three more flights, before a rudder servo issue stopped play - turned out to be bent gear on the MKS 6100.  I was surprised as all landings were very gentle and straight.  MKS seem to be using very soft aluminium in their gears these days.  New gear set fitted and all fine again.

Simon

3D298CDD-D220-4E99-9F7B-60DA9214A434.jpeg

52686432-F78A-43E8-80E4-E13B4EFD25FE.jpeg

• Like 1

Simon,

Model looks great, shame about the servo. What motor and prop are you using?  

I’ve just finished my medium light weight model with a ballast tube in the centre section.I have the 2W motor/gearbox and trying out a 14x6 prop. 13x6.5 prop not pulling enough amps. It’s funny but this model flies very similar to my other ones. 

John

7 hours ago, JFreeman said:

Simon,

Model looks great, shame about the servo. What motor and prop are you using?  

I’ve just finished my medium light weight model with a ballast tube in the centre section.I have the 2W motor/gearbox and trying out a 14x6 prop. 13x6.5 prop not pulling enough amps. It’s funny but this model flies very similar to my other ones. 

John

2W18 in this one on 15x8 narrow blade, as on my ultra-ultralight.  I had a 50+ minute 5th flight this morning.  Felt like I could have stayed up all day, but I had a pupil waiting for some flight tuition so had to bring it down with lots of aerobatics etc.

Simon

2 hours ago, satinet said:

Time for people to stop buying Mks until they sort it out. Although the 6125 gears stripped easily from day 1 inho.

It could be sorted very easily with better specced alloy gears.  Even the cheap MKS are not cheap, so let’s hope they listen to the pummeling they have been getting on FB.  I have been very supportive of them over the years, but they do need to do something, and there are other viable options available these days.

Simon