Ahi

slopetrashuk

One of the he disadvantages with "Z" bends on the aft end of both pushrods is that they can not be removed easily to lubricate.The other is that the wire bend wear the glassfibre horn.

After only 15 flights all my horns are starting to wear and have excessive play, with the exception of the rudder where I originally fitted a plastic clevis.

I have now changed both aileron pushrods for 2mm carbon rod with plastic clevises.

We will see if that is an improvement at Leek tomorrow.

Correction. Its not technically a Z bend, but I trust that you understand the gist?

IMG_3868.JPG

OK, just a bit more programming and it's ready for action. 

In the photos, the wiggles look as if they are a different colour from the lettering on the fin, but they are not. The fin colour is better rendered than the wiggles. I used acrylic paint.

IMG_0745.thumb.JPG.367c760f2746174a6497b6755fa609dc.JPGIMG_0744.thumb.JPG.73323e8b18180f7a4993349d117a9af2.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

Can anyone tell me if the wings are removable on the Ahi ?

Thanks

Yes, they are... and if you are happy to secure them with tape, so are the fin and tailplane. I've glued my tail feathers on, but I can remove the wing by the loosening the two bolts that bear on the joiner tube, unplugging the servo wires under the wing, and pulling. At least, I hope I can. I've only just put it together!

Video I flew/shot yesterday - big fun in just 6-10mph wind - my entry for the Ahi aeros video comp

Combe Gibbet - Berkshire - lovely site, great view, but no slope "edge" to work with

Phil.

• Like 1

I love that video, Phil! Nice job :)

My son and I were out at Ellwood yesterday and got some great lift. Here's a quick edit from one of the GoPro clips, set to the new "Spaceship" by Kesha.

• 2 months later...

I got some paint to do my Ahi. Probably my Weasel and Alula too if it works out good...

What do I use to prepare the foam for painting? 
I’ve heard denatured alcohol is best, but that’s Meths, I’m worried the purple will stain the foam.
Is white spirit any good?

Tony

Meths doesn't stain or leave any marks at all.

White spirits is OK - ish, but a tiny bit oily compared to alcohol like Meths..

I’ve done some painting!

Not an Ahi though, I needed a sacrificial lamb in case it all went wrong and foam got destroyed, so I opted to decorate my Weasel fin. I figured it’s the same foam and if it went wrong I could get another from T9 :D 

47FDB622-1919-463C-8A13-28955209A3D6.jpeg

FD088B9E-9EE4-4D30-90A0-C439CD6B1FCC.jpeg

• 7 months later...

If anyone needs spare batteries for the Ahi I've just been made very welcome at componentshop.co.uk they've sorted 8 cells, 2 leads and heat shrink out for £8.50! 

They've said they can solder the packs for you if you prefer for a total of £6.50 a pack.  

IMG_20180802_141337448.jpg