Wing-bags - how to make?

StraightEdge

Aside from cutting and taping scrap bits of bubble-wrap, is there a proper way of making wing-bags - and what material?

They'll be for my Fantasia 2.5m RE, shown here assembled and hung high to avoid damage.

Fantasia.jpeg

There are a few guides and videos on the internet.   I used this material here - as it was going cheap in my local DIY store.  (it's quite thin but could be doubled up or lined with something for more padding).

7b9e8722-d53b-44ce-8304-9154aad3f513.jpg

lay wing on fabric  (folded so only have to stitch one side),  mark round it with some extra allowance.   Using a sewing machine,  stitch the open edge.   I did mine inside out and then turned right way out to make a cleaner job (exposed hem on the inside).     Mine was for a DLG wing, so more straight forward than your larger wing.

Thanks Cirrus.

I have a sewing-machine (neater and stronger than glueing or taping), and I see B&Q do rolls of similar material: https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-radiator-reflector-roll-l-7-5m-w-600mm/200790_BQ.prd 

Should be straightforward enough, despite the taper and tip-dihedral, and of course the wings split in half and are free of control-surfaces.

Jon

Cheers for that Pete, really appreciated.

The B&Q roll looks like it is indeed composed of small bubblewrap within the stiffer(?) reflective membrane, and at 600mm wide x 7.5m long it should stretch to several models over time.

If it doesn't work, then at least it'll help keep my workshop warm!!

Jon

Would this work???

https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-radiator-reflector-roll-l-5m-w-500mm-t-2mm/26875_BQ.prd

Its 2mm foil faced polyethylene foam. Just wondering if the foam would give better protection. 5m x 500mm so should be enough and its cheap enough even, for me... :D

I need to make some bags for my new Skorp and a friend who has a sewing business has offered to put them together at mates rates. Just wondering if the foam on this would be better. I would also need to check with her how thick the material can be for her to sew. 

You have to be careful about what's inside a wing bag. Some of those insulating products, especially the ones with plastic bubbles exposed on one side, can adhere to and mark wings left in them. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, oipigface said:

You have to be careful about what's inside a wing bag. Some of those insulating products, especially the ones with plastic bubbles exposed on one side, can adhere to and mark wings left in them. 

...or scratch..

Also have a look at the underlay for laminate flooring - bit thicker than the radiator stuff - foam inside, foil outside - very similar to what the "posh" wing bags are made from - e.g.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/vitrex-silverlay-underlay-10m-sq_p274481

Got a big roll a while ago - about time I made those new wing bags...

Phil.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oipigface said:

That's a good point.  I know that it isn't advisable to wrap fine furniture in bubblewrap as the same problem can occur, due to the moisture differential between where the bubbles contact the wood and the empty spaces between.

39 minutes ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Also have a look at the underlay for laminate flooring - bit thicker than the radiator stuff - foam inside, foil outside - very similar to what the "posh" wing bags are made from - e.g.

That does indeed look very similar to the foam+foil that the wing-bags I bought with my Elf DLG are made from.

Elf Wing-bags.JPG

19 hours ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Phil.

Good tip - thanks

Be very careful with wing bags on a built up wing. 

They can easily also apply weight or pressure that will twist the wing while it’s being stored. 

Possibly better to just use while transporting. 

The undetfloor foam/foil is the best option. It’s light and soft. The bubble foil is hard and heavy and the aluminium rubs and scratches as well as leaving behind a Alu residue. Avoid it. 

Simple bubble wrap is good and can be welded using a heat gun and applying some pressure with a hot steel rule. 

For my jazz Moulded stuff wing I used the foam/ foil and have sewn it inside a thin outer of showerproof material. All edged to strengthen the sewing with braid. 

Works great for a hard moulded wing, but way too heavy for a built up. 

Bubble wrap quality can vary a lot , have a shop around. I think it will be your best option. Welded and then reinforced at openings and tips with duct tape. 

More useful advice, thanks.

I was in a town today that had a Homebase, so I purchased a roll of Vitrex Silverlay.  It is almost identical to the material of my Elf and Blaster wing-bags with clear foam on the inside and silver on the outside, and I think it'll be perfectly suitable for the job in hand.  It is really light and should be suitable for storage as well as transport, yet seems tough enough to protect from all but the most aggressive biffing.  I'll run up a pair of bags with the sewing-machine shortly (might even stitch on self-adhesive velcro closing-flaps) and post the result here.

It cost about £33 but there's a lot of it (10 sq m) so future jobs can include bags for my GO mini DLG, Middle-Phase and also a couple of sizeable (shock horror!) IC aerobatic models' wings which also need to be protected for transport and storage.

Result ! - its good stuff - glad you are happy

I was "gifted" about 1/2 a roll from a flooring job & made really good bags for a couple of moulded planes - I just folded over the edge & used silver duck-tape on the outside

Phil.

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 18:22, Phil.Taylor said:

Phil.

SNAP!!

but when I bought it, it was only ~£23 IIRC.  I also got a 50m roll of red PP (poly something or other ?? :whistle: ) tape to use for binding the edges - still unused if anyone wants some.

8 minutes ago, Scram said:

SNAP!!

but when I bought it, it was only ~£23 IIRC.  I also got a 50m roll of red PP (poly something or other ?? :whistle: ) tape to use for binding the edges - still unused if anyone wants some.

Hi Jerry

Depending on how wide the role is I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 meters for my new Skorpion. I've got a lot on this weekend so if possible I can pick up at some point from Tuesday next week or on the weekend. Text me when is good for you and how much. Thanks buddy.

Brett

Job done!

Width of roll enabled both wings to be covered in a single length.  Although it wasn't quite wide enough to permit stitching  (would have needed another 20mm on each piece), it was just wide enough for each piece to be folded over with the open seam taped together with gaffer-tape.  A slit across the top of the dihedral break was then made and taped up for a neater 'hard' angle.  There's no need for a velcro seal to the opening; just left a split-flap excess of about 30mm or so with the wing snug inside.

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG