Taped on wings

Nigel Armstrong

Nigel Armstrong

I am looking to buy another composite electric glider with a wingspan of about 2 meters. Theres plenty to choose from, however most of them seem to use tape as a method of wing retention. I know this works fine but I just don't like it! Has anybody fitted the Multiplex Wing Loc system to any of the RCRCM gliders? It looks like a nice neat system and does away with the tape.

There is actually a good technical reason to use tape, unless you seal the wing root to wing join - There is a pressure differential between the lower and upper surfaces in flight.  Any gap will leak air through, destroying all the nice aerodynamics that designers use to join wings to fuselages.  Perhaps not important unless you are flying in competitions, but there is a performance loss.  Look at full size gliders and they tape the (tiny) gaps between wing root and wing.  But we are all free to make choices and the MPX system is as good as any.

Simon

The tape serves two purposes,

one. It stops the wing sliding off.

two.  It seals the gap between wing and fus for less drag and a more efficient model.

every little helps.

Ps; we tape the gap on full size to improve aerodynamic efficiency.

Richard

If you are worried about repeated tape application and removal affecting the airframe then apply some tape to the fuselage and also to the wing then leave this on permanently. When joining the wings put tape over the tape!

• Like 1