Easing back in after a few years... advice :-)

Zim

Hello Gerry Mentlemen

I've been away awhile with work and other things, but now settled in Germany (and got married again!) with a lot less travelling to worry about, and so I'm looking to ease back into a little flying. Given that I've completely been out of it for a while I just wanted to ask for a little advice re some things which may/ may not have moved on...

Batteries - when I was last flying, we were all gradually moving over to LiFe flight batteries - is this still the case, or have things moved on again? Do you still use Nimhs? Any recommendations on brands/ battery types?

Radio - I had just moved over to the Hitec 2.4 system when I stopped... do you see these much, and would you still regard them as adequate?

Many thanks for any and all advice received!

Zim

Phil.Taylor

Hi Zim & welcome back to flying

For me - Batteries - still on Nimh - eneloops where possible - TX - Futaba FX32 for fancy stuff & Frsky module on old JR 3810 for cheap stuff. 

Im sure the experts will be along shortly - but the forums are slower/quieter than they used to be...

Phil.

Hey Zim

Good to hear from you. Most F3F models have HV servos these days and 2s 16500 Li Ion batteries are very popular. They have almost no self discharge, produce good current even when it's cold and are very robust/tolerant. Named brands like Sony, Panasonic etc all good. Most people also using magnetic switches which save alot of faffing with tape.

Apart from that not much has changed! 

All my gliders have nimhs in them and I generally prefer 2/3A size over AA's due to their ability to provide more current without the voltage drop.

Using two radios. A Spektrum DX9 that is nice to use and hold and very reliable. Also have an FrSky X10S that oozes quality, is very reliable, but which isn't quite as comfortable to hold and use.

FrSky though produce a great range of low priced receivers with some that include various telemetry sensors built in.

4 minutes ago, Dave Elam said:

All my gliders have nimhs in them and I generally prefer 2/3A size over AA's due to their ability to provide more current without the voltage drop.

Using two radios. A Spektrum DX9 that is nice to use and hold and very reliable. Also have an FrSky X10S that oozes quality, is very reliable, but which isn't quite as comfortable to hold and use.

FrSky though produce a great range of low priced receivers with some that include various telemetry sensors built in.

Interesting, I have found 2/3 A to die early and suddenly compared with Vapextech AAs (Like Eneloop but cheaper)

Not completely sure I would trust the current delivery capability of such a small pack with half a dozen digital servos doing their thing.

Hey all

Thanks for the welcome backs (have yet to make that first flight back!) and all the information. The Li Ion batteries certainly sound v practical. 

Have to admit that I am beyond rusty. I can't even remember how to operate a programmable charger, let along programme a model, or even fly one. I visited California about 18 months ago and flew with Joe Manor on Weldon, and could barely remember how to fly - and needless to say, felt a bit of pressure at such a location with such illustrious company! Was quite a pleasure watching Joe rip a D80 around the back, however!

Z

Hey Zim welcome back!

I use a taranis TX mainly for its great telemetry and functionality.  Some say I downgraded from Futaba but I disagree 

As Pete said battery technology for the f3f type gliders is driven by e- cigarette technology. 18650x2 with capacities upto 3000mah or the small 18500 are very robust.

HV servos are common now. I would avoid mks as I've had many failures though.

Are you near any slopes now you're based in Germany?

You can actually get even more capacity than 18650 (which you can get 3500s in). I made a pack from 21700s that fits in a relatively modern model with a capacity of 5000mah.  With modern servos that's about the same as s3150s on a 1600mah 2/3A pack I guess.  😖

The double aerial Optima receiver will be too big for a lot of modern f3x stuff. Depends what you are going to fly.   The "Jumper" multi protocol tx would be my choice or Jeti if you are loaded. 

Hi Dave!

I've not yet explored the possibilities of any slopes... For now, I'm aiming to get my dlg going again as an easy way back to flying... But I really need to start checking and probably replacing my rx packs in everything else. Much to my surprise, both my tx packs (eneloops) seem to be fine after not being switched on for what must be coming on for 7 years... Will cycle and see if I can recall how to operate the charger!

Slopewise - Rugen isn't too much of a drive away, but it's probably best avoided for now given my rustiness! I'd settle for something much less spectacular but closer tbh. Once I'm properly settled here, I'll get out a little and explore.

Tom, as for what I'm going to fly - it's going to be that last Strega that I had done for me, with the e-fuse for now... But that's probably a little way off, as I need to find a suitable site. For now, I'm just going to get my model room squared away, rx packs sorted and ready to go, and then see how well my dlg blows out the cobwebs. I'd love to do some flat field with the Strega before the summer closes out, but that set-up is a pure beast and tbf I was nervous of it even when I was flying a lot! Have to say that the 2m e-soarer from pcm.at does look tempting - I've always liked their models, but have only ever had the one.

Z

Marc RC pilot

Guten abend Zim  :) 

That handmade carved out of solid wood heavy ballistic glider you showed me  making use of  slope lift in a very special way (insane speeds working that down draught behind ridge tops etc) by a master craftsman still haunts me Zim... :)

Great to hear you are all setup and longing to fly again.  Well done with the move and marriage.... "Even the longest journey begins with the first few steps".

All my best m8

👍

Great to hear that you are easing back in Rick! Don't be scared of Rugen mate, Turbulator and Wind tunnel are the scary ones 😊

The guys that fly there are super friendly and helpful too 😊

See you at a German Open!!!!

Clayt

Well Clayts, if you are taking part in another one, I'd be more than happy to put you up mate.

I'm trying to keep my flying this time around to a minimum amount of driving time, so for now the plan is to get flying again with an Alula, and my dlg... Once I've got a little more confidence back, I'll get my e-Strega up and see how that feels - hope to catch a little summer lift before the weather changes.

Tbh mate, it's interesting coming back and seeing how much I have to relearn in the hobby. Remembering how to operate my chargers for all the battery types is a saga in itself!

Z

I had a few years off too in a couple of different chunks. Bought a taranis at the end of my first chunk and loved it. Came back after the next chunk and broke the taranis and all my receivers trying to update firmware.... 

I fly a lovely Futaba FX32 now.

Taranis went in the bin.

I use Li-Ion batteries where possible with HV servos or a voltage regulator (SBEC) into the receiver.

Telemetry helped me to recognise the signs my plane and radio were already trying to tell me, but for F3F I find it a bit redundant, so I didn't invest in telemetry capable receivers.

I believe the A9 is still very capable and pretty clever from what I've heard.