UPDATED - THE FUTURE OF ESC’s for F5J ?

ThermalBoy

On 04/10/2019 at 18:00, Mike said:

Thanks for all the Info Colin, all very interesting.

Unfortunately, the DYS Aria 70A is no longer available, DYS gone out of business according to Flying tech, who are looking for a suitable replacement...

I've just ordered the 65A Holybro Tekko32 to have a bit of a play with.

Mike

Update:
1. I'm told that DYS are back in business and that the DYS Aria 70A BL32 drone ESC is available again along with the slim 40A version. Flyingtech (UK based company) certainly have them in stock as well as the Holybro BL32 65A Tekko Metal ESC. Other dealers may well have these items in stock too.

2. Programming Info
In order for the Brake to work properly using % you have to turn "Non Damped Mode"On when programming.

Colin

Thank you Colin for the tip regarding the percentage braking (and the link to the associated damping mode). The braking did seem a bit fierce when I first programmed the Aria ESC but just thought it was me. All now works as it should.

Ian 

15 hours ago, Neil Harrison said:

Very interesting thread, certainly for trying some of these in the new F5K models.

Hi Neil

The cheapest ESC tested was the HGLRC T-Rex 60AMP 60A BLHeli_32 3-6S ESC Dshot1200 (Around £10). Its very small and light. (It's the one I used in the pics in my original post) Dont let the low price of this put you off using it. It has been extensively used by both Kevin and myself in our F5J models pulling 40-50A. This I think would be way more amps than any F5K set-up would pull. They haven't missed a beat. They just work.

Colin

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaveH said:

It sounds good!      Does the HGLRC 60A support selectable braking strength?      

Yes it does.

Be sure to turn "Non Damped Mode" on when programming. It also supports Low Voltage Cut Off (LVC) IIRC.

Colin

Thanks for the info. 

I have one of the HGLRC 60 BLHELI_32 ESCs, but have not used it yet.  I had not been able to configure it in the same way that I could for the BLHELI_S versions.    I will use the guide given earlier in this thread. ...   

It's good to know that you have run these at useful output currents. They are very small, even the output pads look too small to to be practical for 40A output.   

Coincidentally, my Arduino Nano arrived today.   I tried to set it up for my only HGLRC 60A ESC.   

I had tried to use an up to date F4 flight controller to utlilise the pass-through feature, but got bogged down in difficult firmware issue problems, so was keen to get a start on the Arduino configurator.   

I downloaded the BLHELISUIT32 configurator version 32.7.1.6 (today's version) onto my laptop.   All went fairly well. I flashed the Arduino and connected to the ESC. I could read the config but not write it, nor would it flash the ESC.    Whilst I was trying to make progress, I recalled having had a go some time ago on my PC. That had version 32.7.1.1  loaded.  I tried that, it worked perfectly!      I copied this version to my laptop where it worked! Today's version continues to fail to write.     

I haven't reloaded 32.7.1.6 to see if reloading it clears the problem, it may have been a corruption there, or maybe it doesn't like the FW level of the ESC (32.6.1.2).     ..   Be aware that there could be a problem with that configurator.     

• Like 1

HI there,

I have just read this thread. I am wanting to try an Aria 70a in my Xplorer 2.

I am somewhat bewildered by the array of different permutations for the Arduino nano v3.0 available on ebay. I would prefer to do as little soldering as possible!

Do I need all of those legs/ pins???

The original link from 12 months ago is no longer available.

Please could someone suggest a suitable option.

how about this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-USB-Arduino-Nano-Compatible-V3-0-ATmega328P-5V-16MHz-SOLDERED-HEADERS/262738901345?epid=1279775740&hash=item3d2c757961:g:6YoAAOSwod1fPRWp

Many thanks,

andy

Hi Andy

I've put together 4 or so of these ESCs to date using Colin's advice.

You do not need all the pins/legs on the arduino nano just solder two wires to the board at the points described. The arduino nano board on the link you have given looks ok but I would go with the version without legs/pins already soldered to the board.

Hope that helps

Ian

Edited by Ian Duff
Correction

Noted. I have ordered one.  What UBEC and lipo are you using to power your servos? There seems to me to be a lot of trust in a cheap esc in expensive models. I am trying to save a few grammes up front so that I can remove a few grammes at the tail but I am wondering if I am asking for trouble. ( I had a Castle Creations VR cut out on me on an F5B model when the servos demanded too much from a small lipo. It didn't end well! )

Hi Andy.

I use the DYS Adria 70a ESC linked to a Turnigy 5A 8-26V SBEC.

The SBEC can be sited a fair distance from the ESC to keep the nose weight lighter if needed. As to the lipos I use, they are 3s and 4s 850mah overlander 80c FPVs. They are rated as high as about 140c for short bursts. Ideal for F5j.

Hope that helps

Ian

• Like 1

What AWG wire are you using from the esc to the motor?

14awg is fitted  for the power side on the Aria 70a esc but when I look at specifications for wire 14awg it is usually 45a.

Hi Andy.

I had some (GIGA-V) silicon covered cable lying about which I used. It is slightly thicker than the power input but not by much. Photo attached. 

In bench testing the ESCs (both in 3s and 4s set ups I use for F5j) and run through a multi meter, I reckon I'd put through them about 45a max in the air.

Ian

20201008_151352.jpg

Hi Ian/Andy

The Neg and Signal wires on many of these drone ESC's are extremly thin/fragile including the DYS ones. These days I tend to replace them with thicker wires, usually normal servo wire. Regardless of the wires I use I anchor them to one of the main battery wires as per the pic below. This provides good strain relief for these two wires. I've seen these thin wires just break away from the board at the solder connection after a bit of field handling.

Colin

DYS-IMG_2340.jpg

• Like 1

My experience so far. Aria 70

My nano board already had its drivers uploaded. When connected to my laptop it didn't show up as a peripheral, just as an open com port.

I used the very latest helisuite 32. Version 32.7.1.7. The latest version has a fix for the problem that Dave H encountered.

Flashing the nano and esc to heli32 went ok. The video on YouTube is from a much earlier version so what you see on your screen is not always the same as on the video.

The ESC did require motor power, not just Rx power to allow it to be read by the helisuite. 

I am not sure that I have calibrated the ESC throttle properly as I never received two beeps at low throttle. I am using Mike shellin f5j template so it may be a Taranis problem.

Justin Mellor

I bought myself an Aria 70 and set it up with an Arduino too. Works very well - thanks for posting the explanatory notes, they were very useful.

I would now like to link up the telemetry to my Frsky Taranis. I was expecting to see a pad with TEL written next to it. As you can see from the picture above, there is a pad marked E0. Is that it? Anybody tried this? Not sure what else it would be.

Justin 

• Like 1

On 16/10/2020 at 22:17, Justin Mellor said:

I bought myself an Aria 70 and set it up with an Arduino too. Works very well - thanks for posting the explanatory notes, they were very useful.

I would now like to link up the telemetry to my Frsky Taranis. I was expecting to see a pad with TEL written next to it. As you can see from the picture above, there is a pad marked E0. Is that it? Anybody tried this? Not sure what else it would be.

Justin 

Hi Justin

I'm afraid I have no knowledge on how Drone ESC Telemetry works or is implemented. However when I first researched Drone ESC's I think the EO connection was something to do with telemetry but how this interfaces/works with Rx's/Tx's etc I have no idea. I do know that most Drone ESC's have some degree of telemetry built into them to provide Amps, Voltage, Temperature data etc. IIRC this subject was discussed in an RC Groups thread a short while ago but I cant at the moment find it. 

Telemetry for F5J competitors isn't something were interested in as the only telemetry allowed is Signal Strength and Battery Voltage, both of which most Tx/Rx's already supply. If you do find anything out about how/if this can be done I'm sure though thatpeople would be interersted in hearing about it. Good luck.

Colin