New arrival - Baudis Skywalker 3.8m

Ben

Hi guys, 

I've been loitering on the forums for a little while and I thought I'd upload some pics of my new arrival from Baudis. It's my first moulded model and I'm over the moon with it. 

I've got lots of servos to install but I'm hoping to get up and running  within the month or so. I've gone with MKS HV6130s on all surfaces except for the elevator which will have a MKS HBL6125. I'm fortunate enough to live in South Gloucestershire where there are lots of hills so this will be a slope model only. 

I've done lots of research on installing servos and various IDS shenanigans but if anyone has any great advice I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

Cheers for now

Ben

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

• Like 2

You’re just trying to make us all envious, but welcome to the forum  anyway!

Pierre Rondel has a number of build logs on his Planet Soaring site. I’m pretty sure you will find tips how to do it there somewhere. The only advice I would give you is not to cut or glue anything until you’ve checked at least three times that it is what you want. In particular, make sure that servos are operating the right way round and that they are offset (or centred) correctly.

The voice of experience speaks.

• Thanks 1

Indeed, what a beauty! Look for a great how-to on YouTube. It’s called flightcomp, and it shows a LDS install on a Infinity F5J model. I used that as a basis for the install on my Jedi lift, and pitbull 2. But there are vastly more experienced guys than me  on here if you need any advise. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the great advice guys, and I will take on board the idea of measuring three times before cutting! Top tip oipigface! 

Mikeb52 - Great recommendation. I've watched that LDS install on  flightcomp's YT channel a couple of times now and kitted myself out with Microballons as well as a few other bits to complete the install. I'm going to use the LDS that Baudis supplied (I went with the double LDS option) and go carefully. The finish is so perfect right now I'm definitely going to take it steady. I'll add some more pics as I go - as long as thesis the right forum for that of course. 

Ah also the elevator is a HBL6625, not a 6125 🙄

Cheers 👍

Marc RC pilot

What an absolute cracker Ben!  Good luck with her and please keep us posted on your progress. Tally Ho! 

Cool site as well m8  :)

Marc 

18 hours ago, MMD said:

What an absolute cracker Ben!  Good luck with her and please keep us posted on your progress. Tally Ho! 

Cool site as well m8  :)

Marc 

Cheers Marc. I'll deffo keep you guys posted on progress. There is so much great info on this website that I'm not sure if I'll be able to contribute anything ground breaking but I'll post stuff that interests me in the hope that others might find it equally interesting.

Thanks for the comments on the website too. It's just another way to do things related to RC rather than doing things related to work! 😃

Cheers 👍

Just make sure you cover your wings with cling film and masking tape, or similar.  Just leave the areas you are working on for the LDS install. It’s very easy to get epoxy on your hands and transferred onto those beautiful wings. Ask me how I know!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mikeb52 said:

Just make sure you cover your wings with cling film and masking tape, or similar.  Just leave the areas you are working on for the LDS install. It’s very easy to get epoxy on your hands and transferred onto those beautiful wings. Ask me how I know!

Yep - beat me to it - wide masking tape is your friend. Im always amazed with used planes where the builder missed this bit...

Nice plane !

Phil.

7 hours ago, Mikeb52 said:

Good advice, thanks Mike. How do you know?!

3 hours ago, oipigface said:

Ben,

I just found a very detailed description of how to install LDS  in the Baudis Diana 2. It’s here, on Baudis’ website:

https://www.baudismodel.com/storage/user-32399/module-1742/diana-2-lds-installation-fp-23-06-17-15112570480phpsv3k2b.pd

I doubt if the Skywalker  is much different.

Cheers for that. Pavel from Baudis sent me this and it's pretty much the same, except for the cut points on the wing. Those are the bits that I'm going to be extra careful with. 🧐 

Go and find some thin piano wire that will easily fit in the hinges/servo arms, as once you fit the proper pins they are very difficult to remove.

I normally make a right angle bend of about 8mm, this lets you insert it into the servo horn, so you can have a few tries at getting the right position..

One other tip is get a couple of spare servo arms, as they are the weak spot in the event of a very bad landing.

David.

• Like 3

On 22/10/2019 at 08:15, f3fisa said:

Go and find some thin piano wire that will easily fit in the hinges/servo arms, as once you fit the proper pins they are very difficult to remove.

I normally make a right angle bend of about 8mm, this lets you insert it into the servo horn, so you can have a few tries at getting the right position..

One other tip is get a couple of spare servo arms, as they are the weak spot in the event of a very bad landing.

David.

Good advice David. Definitely adopting that approach! Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2019 at 12:42, Mikeb52 said:

This has been a really great tip, thanks Mike! 

No worries Ben. How’s the install going?  bit of a slog putting 6 wing servos in, that’s for sure. Make sure you come up to white sheet  and fly it there. We would love to see it. 
Mike. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mikeb52 said:

No worries Ben. How’s the install going?  bit of a slog putting 6 wing servos in, that’s for sure. Make sure you come up to white sheet  and fly it there. We would love to see it. 
Mike. 

Yeah really good thanks, I've taken plenty of care over the install and it's looking really slick so far. Just about to upload some pics actually. I've done rudder and a single wing so far (4 servos in total) so starting to feel like a pro 😂 

p.s. I've never flown at White Sheet. It looks incredible. I'll deffo make a trip down at some point!

• Like 1

Hi all, 

So as I mentioned I've installed the rudder and one wing so far. I thought I'd start with the rudder as it seemed the easiest to get some practice with doing IDS installs. I've never done a full IDS install before, but after 4 servos I'm feeling pretty confident! 

If you're interested I've updated the blog on my website as well - https://rcaviationadventures.co.uk/skywalker/baudis-skywalker which goes into a bit more detail. 

Here is the rudder servo installed. 

IMG_1747.thumb.JPG.4f53613e1b5c3f820e7e129133e34794.JPG

The double IDS flap horn. Pretty pleased with this, the others are done as carefully! :)

IMG_1750.thumb.JPG.0dbfd644ebaa05a0ff01e345cf1aac52.JPG

Installed flap servo

IMG_1754.thumb.JPG.73b72e931bebc96ed4e0b0792fa6e92d.JPG

And the single IDS outer-aileron servo. 

IMG_1759.thumb.JPG.33b5a16a445635a014873163c1643239.JPG

Cheers for now!

Ben

• Like 1