Drone & Model Aircraft Code

Gliderchuck

It's all just another bit of legislation that was rushed through with the rest of the world it seems. I honestly can't envisage a future full of drones rushing around delivering stuff. After all we can't even find a rogue drone over a national airport let alone owt else. Drones in the sky perfect for the would be terrorist, or if you are a certain age it was a plot by the IRA in a Jason King episode but the delivery method was a "Gangster 63". Anyone remember it?

Back on point. I've done the CAA test and the BMFA test, I haven't an A cert., but I'm not quite sure why I did the latter or even why I should have done. Is there a minimum font size when you label all your models up? I'm sure I did see it somewhere but can't remember or I imagined it. I should mention I thought the BMFA test was much easier than the CAA one.

Tony

1 hour ago, Gliderchuck said:

Here's another one. 9 year old Jimmy flys his 200g drone unsafely over people in the park that happens to sit in a FRZ. Who carries the can for that? Jimmy's parents/guardian I suppose.  

The FRZ case is easy. Article 94A makes both the operator and remote pilot responsible.

Restricted airspace is not as clear but article 239 says that "It is an offence to contravene, permit the contravention of or fail to comply with any regulations made under this article." so I suppose that both operator and remote pilot are covered.

At least 3mm high.  Full provision here: 

"

It is against the law to fly a drone or model aircraft that does not show a valid operator ID.

How to label your drone or model aircraft

Your operator ID must be:

visible from the outside, or within a compartment that can easily be accessed without using a tool

clear and in block capitals taller than 3mm

secure and safe from damage

on the main body of the aircraft

You should use a removable label as your operator ID may change when you renew. You’ll need to remove your label if you’re no longer responsible for the drone or model aircraft.

Always use your operator ID, not your flyer ID."

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's all just another bit of legislation that was rushed through with the rest of the world it seems.

There are many things that can be said about the new regulations but rushed is not one that I would use. It has taken four years to get to this point and there are a few years to go before it will all be over.

11 hours ago, Gliderchuck said:

Here's another one. 9 year old Jimmy flys his 200g drone unsafely over people in the park that happens to sit in a FRZ. Who carries the can for that? Jimmy's parents/guardian I suppose.  

But I'm now really puzzled about the retailers and manufacturers.... Don't they need to give information to purchasers? What was the result about them?  If they have no obligations then that seems like a big hole

OR newly retired 60y old Arthur or Agnes, finally gets around to building that 230g balsa RC glider and flys it in their local common, which now sits plumb on the extended runway portion of a FRZ. 

I think the issue with retailers is very valid. Jessops is owned by a Peter Jones (dragons den), who is also the UK I porter and major shareholder of DJI and I think DroneList, makes sure that prospective purchasers are aware of the registration situation. However a quick google will show that Currys, Tesco, PC world etc etc make no mention of it on web sites or point of sale literature. Big mistake not to have written it into the act when they had the chance  

ist

Grannie registering as a drone operator just shows what utter drivel the whole thing is. 

You can go out and buy a claw hammer from screw fix for less than a fiver. No one is asking any questions. 

It's a terrible indictment on this country that there are people sleeping on the streets and people struggling to make ends meet, but we've got the time and money to spend on paying people in fancy offices to think up this kind of rubbish to keep themselves in a pointless jobs ad infinitum. 

Anyway it's all been said before.  Time for some flying if the rain stops. 

• Like 4

John Minchell

Anybody got a recommendation for label maker / printer?  Most of us will have many models which will need the ID sticking on (30+ in my loft).

5 minutes ago, John Minchell said:

Anybody got a recommendation for label maker / printer?  Most of us will have many models which will need the ID sticking on (30+ in my loft).

Some have suggested the Dymo label system. I have the one that prints onto a sticky ribbon, we used that for labelling pipes and cables when doing boiler installations. Only problem is that the label fades in UV light, not a problem if the number is internal. The is a version that embosses the print onto plastic tape. Old school but doesn’t fade. 
Dymo S0717930 Omega Home Embossing Label Maker https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000O78DZI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_v0I6DbT8PA190

whatever you use be aware we have been told the number will change annually. 

Think that you can label inside the model as well,  in which case standard labels can be used via a programme like Word can print labels to attach inside model

I use ink jet decal sheet to make water slide transfers. I've used it for years in transparent and white you can carefully un pick a corner and they will come off. I just happen to have several sheets to hand so that's what I'll be doing this weekend.

Although this video is mainly aimed at existing PFCO  operators, it’s the first proper explanation of the subcategories and C classes I have come across 

1. That just fried by brain cells.

2. He's excited! I'm not as this is ridiculous.

3. If anyone is even thinking of getting into this hobby they will be totally put off.

As I read it I probably won't be able to fly anywhere as we'll be classed as "Home built" and  how do we fly our gliders in slow mode, or prove it. The  75 minute test I look forward to with bated breath! And here's me thinking Brexit was bad enough. Which reminds me I must now vote......

Tony

3 hours ago, Tony said:

1. That just fried by brain cells.

2. He's excited! I'm not as this is ridiculous.

3. If anyone is even thinking of getting into this hobby they will be totally put off.

As I read it I probably won't be able to fly anywhere as we'll be classed as "Home built" and  how do we fly our gliders in slow mode, or prove it. The  75 minute test I look forward to with bated breath! And here's me thinking Brexit was bad enough. Which reminds me I must now vote......

Tony

Don't worry about it. Members of the BMFA won't be operating in the open category. EASA specifically says that specific permissions should be arranged at national level which allow model aircraft flying to continue pretty much as it does now.

2 hours ago, Andy Symons said:

Don't worry about it. Members of the BMFA won't be operating in the open category. EASA specifically says that specific permissions should be arranged at national level which allow model aircraft flying to continue pretty much as it does now.

Not to sure about that. How do you come to the conclusion that BMFA members will not be operating  in the open category? Are you assuming that BMFA members will be given an exemption?

So which of these three will BMFA members be controlled by?  Extract from CAP 1789

Open category – operations that present a low (or no) risk to third parties. Operations are conducted in accordance with basic and pre-defined characteristics and are not subject to any further authorisation requirements.
Specific category – operations that present a greater risk than that of the Open category, or where one or more elements of the operation fall outside the boundaries of the Open category. Operations will require an operational authorisation from the CAA, based on a safety risk assessment.
Certified category – operations that present an equivalent risk to that of manned aviation and so will be subjected to the same regulatory regime (i.e. certification of the aircraft, certification of the operator, licensing of the pilot)

46 minutes ago, BigT said:

So which of these three will BMFA members be controlled by?  Extract from CAP 1789

None of them. 

CAP 1789 page 10 says 

Model aircraft Additional provisions are made within the regulation to cater for operations, including registration and remote pilot competence, under the framework of model aircraft clubs or associations under a separate authorisation that can be negotiated with, and issued by, the CAA.

Over the first half of 2020 there will be ongoing discussions with the CAA to formalise the separate authorisation. It is likely to encompass operation pretty much as we do now (specifically catered for by EASA) and incorporate all the current exemptions in to the authorisation, which is why most of the current exemptions are dated 30th june because after that they shouldn't be needed.