Drone & Model Aircraft Code

Gliderchuck

19 minutes ago, Andy Symons said:

None of them. 

It is specific category authorisation in accordance with article 16 of the implementing regulation (article 3(b)).

EASA Article 16 says

GENERAL
Unless differently provided by national regulation, a model aircraft club and association may obtain from the national competent authority an authorisation that is valid for all their members to operate UA according to conditions and limitations tailored for the club or association.
The model aircraft club and association will submit to the competent authority the procedures that all members are required to follow. When the competent authority is satisfied with the procedures, organisational structure and management system of the model aircraft club and association, it may provide an authorisation that defines different limitations and conditions from those in the UAS Regulation. The authorisation will be limited to the operations conducted within the authorised club or association and within the territory of the Member State of the authorised competent authority. The authorisation cannot exempt members of the club or association from registering themselves according to Article 14 of the UAS Regulation; however, it may allow a model club or association to register their members on their behalf.
The authorisation may also include operations by persons who temporarily join in with the activities of the club or association (e.g. for leisure during holidays or for a contest), as long as the procedures provided by the club or association define conditions acceptable to the competent authority.

Essentially with the exception of registration everything else is to be negotiated. The current exemptions give a very big clue as to what the CAA consider acceptable.

Pie in the sky. Dream on. Only time will tell, my o my the BMFA have more power than EASA. If that happens I will be the first to offer congratulations as you will be the first in Europe!  I’m out. 

What a very strange post.

The quote is direct from EASA nothing suggesting the BMFA having more power than EASA, we were very lucky that the BMFA CEO managed to have enough influence to ensure there was specific provision in the EASA propsed regs to allow a specific provision for model flying to be arranged with the CAA rather than have model flying stuck in the Open categories.

Negotiating that provision which will be happening over the next 6 months is actually complying with EASA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy Symons said:

we were very lucky that the BMFA CEO managed to have enough influence to ensure there was specific provision in the EASA propsed regs to allow a specific provision for model flying to be arranged with the CAA rather than have model flying stuck in the Open categories.

Personally, I would prefer to be able to do most of my flying in the open category, which is in primary legislation, rather than having to be an association member in order to fly under an authorisation that can be changed by the CAA on a whim. I can however, understand why you would prefer the latter.

27 minutes ago, satinet said:

we probably fell lucky that Baroness V got the boot at a critical time. 

Ms. Vere is still in the DfT. Grayling being replaced by Shapps was the stroke of luck. I hope that he isn't moved in the near future.

15 hours ago, Andy Symons said:

EASA Article 16 says

To be pedantic, what you have quoted is not what Article 16 of the EU Implementing Regulation says, it is what GM1 in EASA's Acceptable Means of Compliance says.

9 hours ago, Steve J said:

Personally, I would prefer to be able to do most of my flying in the open category, which is in primary legislation, rather than having to be an association member in order to fly under an authorisation that can be changed by the CAA on a whim. I can however, understand why you would prefer the latter.

#metoo

On 05/12/2019 at 10:11, Gliderchuck said:

Preamble to the Drone and Model Aircraft Code:

"It is against the law to fly a drone or model aircraft without passing the theory test or registering. You can also be fined for breaking the law when flying. In the most serious cases, you could be sent to prison.

Aircraft covered by this Code:

--Drones

--Model aeroplanes

--Model gliders

--Model helicopters

The law groups these as small unmanned aircraft."

Can't get much clearer than that.

Unless it weighs less than 250g... 

I was flying f3f last weekend and it occurred to me what height do you fly f3f at. Under 400ft? Well after each run I was looking at heights of often over 150m and once over 200m on the walk back to landing. And this without making a particular effort to gain height. Just enough to put the model out of the way.

The point is 400ft is very low even for slope soaring. On my home slope you cannot achieve that height without thermals normally. But a half decent slope.....

Let's hope this 400ft exemption stays in place. 

Beamer36m, Silentpilot is correct. Elsewhere on the CAA website, it says: 

"You do not need to pass the test or register if your drone or model aircraft is less than 250g, or you’ll only fly indoors or in a securely netted area. You must still follow the rules and regulations when you fly."

Over 250g, one has to meet both the competency and registration requirements. BMFA achievement scheme holders have an exemption (that expires on 30 June 2020) from taking the CAA test or BMFA RCC (because they already have the BMFA achievement!). BMFA members may register and get their operator # via the BMFA procedure, so their 'exemption' from registering  is temporary - until renewal of BMFA membership (actually 23 February 2020). It's more like a hiatus. Alternatively, BMFA members and others can register direct with the CAA. 

So, when it comes to this text: 

"It is against the law to fly a drone or model aircraft without passing the theory test or registering"

the language "the theory test" simply means "a CAA recognised test".  

The "or" is correct because any of the following would break the law:

1. having a CAA recognised competency, but not satisfying the registration requirement; 

2. satisfying the the registration requirement, without CAA recognised competency; 

3. having neither a registration nor a CAA recognised competency. 

It's hard to explain something that can get so complex because of all the intricacies, in easy language, and remember, this is not just for BMFA members, but the wider public including kids. So, yes, I do think that the language in italics is clear. 

Pete,

Let's say someone wants to fly a glider of yours to try out slope soaring but they're not registered because up until now they've only flown sub 250g DLGs.

In order to fly a model of yours that is over 250g they don't need to register but they do need to pass a competency test to get a Flyer ID. 

It wasn’t a question. That’s  how it is!!!

Anyone with an Operator ID can label up a +250g model with their ID and let someone else fly it provided you ensure they have a Flyer ID (which they got by passing the test). 

Maria Freeman

And who is going to be checking up whether or not you are registered ?

I’ve never had anyone ask to see my club flying I.d

will the “ glider police “bring their own set of scales to make sure we aren’t lying about the weight of our models ???

im going back to bed 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

Pete,

Let's say someone wants to fly a glider of yours to try out slope soaring but they're not registered because up until now they've only flown sub 250g DLGs.

In order to fly a model of yours that is over 250g they don't need to register but they do need to pass a competency test to get a Flyer ID. 

Put them on a buddy lead and it isn't a problem as they are not considered to be either the remote pilot or the operator. Otherwise they will need to take a "competency test" I would suggest the BMFA online test if they are BMFA members, quick and easy to do on your phone there and then.

8 hours ago, Maria Freeman said:

And who is going to be checking up whether or not you are registered ?

I’ve never had anyone ask to see my club flying I.d

will the “ glider police “bring their own set of scales to make sure we aren’t lying about the weight of our models ???

im going back to bed 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nobody checks your driving licence either ....... until you do something wrong   🙂