Phase 6 - Pro - Wing Dihedral

Andy Shutt

Hello, 

I have lost the manual to my Phase 6, I started the build around one year ago but side lined it due to other projects that came along, well the model is now back on the bench to complete.

My question is ... what is the correct wing dihedral for the model, it is the professional version with the fully symmetrical wing.

From memory i think the wing is joined on a flat surface and the wing is placed up side down so there is a little bit of dihedral on the lower surface of the wing.

Thank you for any assistance

Andy

Dick Whitehead

Long since lost the manual, but just been up to the loft to check mine and you are correct - the top of the wing is flat and the dihedral is just the taper in thickness.

I am pleased that you asked as looking at mine in the loft, where it has been for nearly 20 years, has got me planning to resurrect it over the winter. It is basically in good condition still, so new servos and battery plus a 2.4 receiver should get it going again.

Dick

Dick, 

THANK YOU

I had one 30 years ago, many happy hours flying the model and then it was destroyed in a workshop fire, last year I bought another one and looking forward to flying it.

I hope you get yours back into flying condition and have lots of fun with it.

Andy

If you get the chance , put at least 2 servos in the wing to allow you to droop the ailerons as flaps for height gain.  I fitted a mechanical mixer to do this in the early days of the Phase6 and it was very useful. Even easier now with computer radios.  Even better would be to add 4 servos in the wing to allow crow brakes too.

Have fun   :-)

Thank you, i am planning on 2 servos on 2 channels, i had not thought about using them to gain height, more for differential.

Regards, 

Andy

Andy, I've got the 'sport' semi-symmetrical wing kit to build (next year).  Happy to dig out the box, scan and send you the instructions if you'd like, which I think are exactly the same whichever version.  As this is a fairly recent kit the instructions do include a variation for two servos in the wing.

I thought about maybe fitting four servos for crow, but frankly if I can push my Middle Phase (aileron wing) down in tight, lifty spaces just using up-spoileron with some mixed in elevator, then I should be able to do the same with the Phase 6.  Keeps it simple.

And yes, the wing is joined flat with the upper surface upside down on the bench.

Jon

6 hours ago, Andy Shutt said:

Thank you, i am planning on 2 servos on 2 channels, i had not thought about using them to gain height, more for differential.

Regards, 

Andy

As a person who used to do the glider aerobatic competitions back in the days we had them, I knew that many of the manoeuvres need to start at a good height, hence I fitted the 2 servos in the centre of the wing, with a rocking mixer on top of one of them. When I got a computer radio, I just removed the mechanical mixer and fitted a pushrod from each servo to the normal torque rod fittings as supplied, no need to put the servos "outboard" in the wing itself, simples !  🙂

As the "Professional" wing is symmetrical it gains height less well than the "sport" wing, and a few millimetres of full length flap really helps. Can also mix elevator-flap for tighter loops too.