Epoxying servo mounts

John Minchell

On 08/02/2022 at 22:18, MikeE said:

Maybe the filler you are using?

No difference for me.

Flock, microballoons and balsa dust all reduced curing time by around 50%, of all the epoxy types I tried. 

10 minutes ago, Jef Ott said:

Flock, microballoons and balsa dust all reduced curing time by around 50%, of all the epoxy types I tried. 

Jef,

Some studies indicates that your perception may be right on this matter. 

Influence of Filler Content and Filler Size on the Curing Kinetics of an Epoxy Resin (nih.gov)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6918384/

"For the surface-treated glass beads used in this study, the reaction speed in the early curing stage is accelerated by increasing filler content or decreasing of filler size. In the later curing stage, the reaction speeds of compounds with higher filler content or smaller fillers reduce more quickly. The study of reaction kinetics indicates that the activation energy Ea1, Ea2, the reaction order m, and n are affected differently by varying filler content and size."

Carlos

• Like 1

A test in a pot may show a difference in the amount of heat if the filler added reduced set time.

But filler also increased the bulk and therefore less epoxy is needed. 

IMO if you are having problems with heat you are mixing significant more epoxy than is needed for a servo fix.

Wing skinning etc is a different case where you can feel the heat of the reaction in a half cup of mix. 

Easy fix for epoxy that warms up, whilst  putting in servo frames. Put an ice pack underneath the top skin. Not ice cubes, but the mouldable packs used for sports injuries. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, czorzella said:

Jef,

Some studies indicates that your perception may be right on this matter. 

InflueGoodnce of Filler Content and Filler Size on the Curing Kinetics of an Epoxy Resin (nih.gov)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6918384/

"For the surface-treated glass beads used in this study, the reaction speed in the early curing stage is accelerated by increasing filler content or decreasing of filler size. In the later curing stage, the reaction speeds of compounds with higher filler content or smaller fillers reduce more quickly. The study of reaction kinetics indicates that the activation energy Ea1, Ea2, the reaction order m, and n are affected differently by varying filler content and size."

Carlos

Thank you Carlos,

I am glad that studies have agreed with my findings. Think I will buy myself a pint or two this evening to celebrate.

Jef