FxRES January 2023 2m F3L/F5-RES Monthly Duration Challenge

martynk

FxRES Monthly Postal Rules

This is a “for fun” challenge for UK based pilots. Anyone may enter with:

1. a bungee-launched F3L (F3-RES) specification glider using the reduced length Hi-Start. The reduced length Hi-Start bungee has a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller/shorter bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched F5-RES specification glider fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your F3L or F5-RES glider for as long as possible from a flat field. Each monthly challenge will commence on the 1st day of the Calendar month and  the person who's time is unbeaten at the end of the Calendar Month 'wins' and a new challenge will start. The annual challenge league will end on the 31st December of each year. A new annual challenge league will then commence on the 1st of January.

Rules:

Models must comply with the Model Specification rules for F3L (F3-RES) or F5-RES as appropriate.

You may self-time your own flights

Flight times begin when the tow-line falls from the tow-hook (for F3L/F3-RES) or in the case of a F5-RES glider when the motor stops.

The model must land in the launch field or (if there is no field boundary) within 150m of the launch position for times to count. There is no landing bonus.

If you are using a bungee launch (for this event or any other), then the launch line MUST be secured using a corkscrew dog tether or similar bungee stake to minimise the risk of injury caused by a loose stake.

Scores must be submitted on the relevant monthly postal event posting on the FxRES forum at www.barcs.co.uk/forums/   

Scoring flights must be submitted within 24 hours of the flight taking place.

A flight log graph from the Altitude limiter should also be submitted if entering with a F5-RES glider.

All scoring flights must start with a hand release from Ground Level with (if applicable), the motor running.

No flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Submitted scores will be amalgamated into an annual league. Points will be awarded as follows:  1st -15 points, 2nd - 12points, 3rd - 10points, 4th to 12th, 9 to 1 point respectively.

You may enter as many times as you wish using as many different models as you wish, but only your longest duration flight will count towards the league position.

Please enter your OCTOBER scores below in the following format...

ON THE FIRST LINE OF YOUR POST

Model Name : Class (F3 or F5) : Date of flight : Time Claimed

Any text or commentary or images please add afterwards.  Thanks  

Graham Lorimer

Purito F5RES

Fish Meadow

Time 9 minutes 3 seconds

Happy New year to all fellow competitors, and well done to David for catching me at the end of last year.

Someone has to start the new year competition off, so today seemed as good a day as any.

As you will all see with a post that will follow this within the next 24 hours, I did not make the best of the available lift, but any time over 9 minutes in the early months of the Year, is worth having I think. Managed some pretty well timed launches that made the most of the upward trajectory after the motor cut, I think there was more wind up high than at ground level.

Another Fish Meadow regular is finalising a new model for this comp, someone with a ton of previous experience, so another one that will be had to beat.

Graham

January 2nsd.png

• Like 1

Purito E. Fish Meadow. 02/01/23. Flight claimed 27mins 44 secs.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Flying with Graham today and managed 3 distinct patches of thermal lift. Surprising really as it was cold (5 - 7C) but bright sunshine with very light winds before lunchtime.

Increasing wind strength after lunch killed any lift.

FM020123a.jpg

FM020123b.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, what a start and happy new year.

Keep those scores coming in - still 29 flying days to go

image.png.60e20023ba57c821b3a31925f61eb5de.png

Model cREst, time 25sec, place - where the rain and wind will not stop.

FullFl.thumb.jpg.60f2762bb0b63c82f5f8f3b23b36d75b.jpg

After staring at this model (wings) for 3 days - all I wanted to do was have a test glide, to make certain they flew straight.

Threw it across the field and it flew fine.

Decided to give it a go with motor, so unplugged and reconnected, then opened up. It took almost 1 second to realise it was dumb.

But at least I have a score.

And here it is AFTER its intrepid altercation.

cREst.thumb.JPG.ccdbaeef9a3e4fe279c0c29098315109.JPG

• Like 2

Model – cREst, time 17:03 place Ribble Valley.

Full flight :-

FullFlig.thumb.jpg.59abf7fa0fde75b9176bacd0b8abf175.jpg

Glide part :-

FullGlid.thumb.jpg.5d9ba0e3a6ae057bc9cc35decfa1e841.jpg

Landing :-

(right at my feet)

FullLan.thumb.jpg.7c491fc7237c9acbf6c8976f84ba7520.jpg

Most of the day has been 100% blue sky but good breeze. Not for flying.

I went outside just after 3:00 and the wind had dropped. Having only done 2seconds of motor on a fully charged battery, it did not warrant charging, so grabbed it and went out to beat 25sec.

Found lift and circled in it. It hardly went up, but then it was not coming down.

Just when you were thinking it was good lift, it was over 100m away. Headway was really slow (coming back) and so 2 clicks of down, which speeds up the sink.

(also) In a southerly breeze, it is carried off north, over trees. It is a very fine line how far away you dare go.

At the end there was no lift anywhere !

It had been 100% blue sky and now I was sat under a long line of clouds, probably causing the lift.

Anyway just kept on doing the same, but never managing to get back to 60m.

Sink rate was about 0.32m/sec (with down trim) and lift was about 0.25m/sec – still not used to this ultra-light world.

Now let's see who flew for 1 hour and got over 300m !

14 hours ago, Graham Lorimer said:

Sometimes the most satisfying flights, when they don't go up, but don't come down either.

Well done.

Graham

Exactly - I was enjoying the flight. It was only when I downloaded the data, did I realise how long it had been.

(as I said) really strange conditions. There was a line of trees to my north, but the trees are each side of a stream. The stream starts there because it is where all the drainage system comes out of the ground (warmer than surface temp ?). If you don't go up fast enough, you will not get back over the trees. So it was a game of chicken - how long dare you stay with the lift. Totally and utterly engrossing - that is what this is all about. Oh and the cloud lines are back, but it is also snowing and cold. The spike in the middle of the horizon is Blackpool Tower.

CloudLine.thumb.JPG.bfb8d10d1dd52edb7959171a5ea4501d.JPG

• Like 1

Not An Entry.

The spinner etc came today and so my latest was finished. No Altis in.

Went to test it - it was amazing. As it is identical to the other cREst's it had to be the air not the model. Then I realised I had not put the servo arm screws in, so a quick landing.

As the air was so good, I grabbed the one from yesterday and went for a fly.

Everything exactly the same, except the breeze had swung round to the west a little.

Just as I was about to think landing and another launch, found something. This got me to 75m before I lost it (certain it was me).

Just like yesterday, it bounced a bit and I circled into it.

Just like yesterday, well no, it went nowhere. It did not go up or come down. I have circled them on the graph.

So - Just like yesterday, but not as strong......... 9:18 is not bad though.

NiceFlight.thumb.jpg.2650ec718dda465a160ebeab923da996.jpg

• Like 1

First fly of the year.  Yesterday was very pleasant in the sun.  The lift was weak and I was going downwind quicker than gaining height.  Probably should have flown x-res but stuck with heavier Medina.

7.37 was my best which is a long way short of Steve and Anthony's excellent times.

Today was colder and calmer but the fog sat on the field killing off Res flying.  

Graham Lorimer

Prestbury Club

Medina F5RES

Time 19 Minutes 28 seconds

Today dawned fine with almost no wind and the Sun threatening to keep any Fog at bay, so off the Prestbury Club for a serious session of flights with my new Medina F5RES.

Several 8 - 9 minute flights in the morning as the air warmed up, and some excellent lift after lunch. Had to get in under Steve H's lift when my own turned to nothing after about 8 minutes, and although he beat me by a mile with his tried and proven Purito, I was very happy to nearly make 20 minutes in January. Very light lift, I just could not get the height that Steve managed, I was a couple of hundred meters short I think, but very happy none the less.

Graham

January 23rd.png

• Like 3

Prestbury club. Purito F5RES. Flight claimed 50 mins 6 secs. 23/01/23.

My first visit to the Prestbury club with Graham.

What a super flying site and a sunny light wind day.

A few 9 / 10 min flights then very light lift came through all over the sky.

Had the spoilers out at times to avoid going over 350 metres but I was lucky as some light fluffy cloud came across so I could silhouette the model against them.

My back started to hurt so I landed after 50 mins. I need to take my seat in future!

Prestbury230123a.jpg

Prestbury230123b.jpg

• Like 3

Wow! Incredible flights for January ( 30 minutes of constant slow climbing).  Did you forget to mention you were actually flying overseas? 😂

Edited by cirrusRC
  • Like 2

This is called "re-writing the book."

Everyone stops flying over winter and we call it "the building season."

Amazing pilots are now writing the next chapter.

Yesterday (in the NW) I could not beat 5 mins. This is the encouragement we all need.

Well done guys.

• Like 1

Yes - right place, at the right time and nice flying in weak lift.   Shows anything is possible.

Come spring will be climbing to 400 meters too quickly 😃

Graham Lorimer

I will say this about "re-writing the book", Steve and I were standing next to each other and launched about 90 seconds apart for these two flights, and there was very very little chatter for the next 20 minutes, it was total concentration to find and stay in the very weak thermals that were working.

We did both comment during the flights that it was very difficult to work out which way the thermals were moving, and it was easy to fall out and not realise you were no longer going up.

Then a mad scratch around to search and find it again, and not always where you expected the good air to be.

Graham

• Like 2

First time out this year at Bramhall Cricket Club with my ageing overweight, bit like me, RES Eagle. 2 min 21 sec, not in the league of the above flyers but the best of half a dozen flights, straight up and down with no lift and a totally grey sky flying with Stew W. Stew seemed to be fairing slightly better. Improvements will surely come when the sun comes out. Lighter new build X-Dream should also add a few more seconds  

1393552924_bcc240123withmeasure.thumb.jpg.e05d2fcbde4574bea84af0623f7ae310.jpg

• Like 2

Stewart Walker

Fresh, F5, 24/1/23, 3mins 28 seconds

First day out at Bramhall Cricket club with Phil, At least I've sorted my prop brake and got a reasonable time for the conditions.

20230124 208 secs.png

• Like 1