South of England Open 2023

JohnEP

Phil.Taylor

A very big THANK YOU to Allen & JP for hosting a very successful "Grasshopper Special" Southern Open

Interesting, challenging, rewarding - a great comp. Good to see how Europe's top pilots made the best of the conditions - really skillful flying - well done Mark & JP to be up there with the best.

Phil.

F3F_Grasshopper.thumb.jpg.808ef0ca3adb8e7b31f952ac6ba98095.jpg

• Like 2

Greg Dakin

A superb three days of competition on the Eastbourne slopes - technically challenging, unforgiving, but rewarding to those who understood the hill dynamics - I'm looking at you Jonny Philips on Day 2!!!

I don't recall an event that caused me so much head scratching - I think that my mind was pretty much fried and out of ideas by the end of day one!!

Great weather, excellent company and a pleasure to see the top pilots showing the way with all manner of flying techniques!!

Thanks to the organisers who put on a wonderful event, and congrats to the podium for some exemplary flying!!

Greg

• Like 4

Well it was a great weekend of catching up with mates some I’ve not seen for a while .The flying had everything from the FTD flight to some absolute frustrating rubbish.But I guess I wouldn’t have missed it all for anything.

Thanks Al and Jp for organising and everyone else for just being there .

Andy 

IMG_9315.jpeg

Edited by Andy_B
  • Like 4

Thanks to Allen and JP for organising. Also to Graeme helping out in the centre. Very challenging conditions for the 2 days I flew. Relaxing in Eastbourne over a pint was most welcome. Well done to the top 3

• Like 1

Allen Elliott
1 hour ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Full results up on F3X vault - Thanks Allen

Phil.

You'll have to thank Mark T 

I couldn't figure it out. 🤣

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor
38 minutes ago, Allen Elliott said:

You'll have to thank Mark T 

I couldn't figure it out. 🤣

In that case - thanks Mark !

I found that if you right-click on the "Round X" header of each column - you go to a page with the full details of that round

• Like 2

Thanks to Allen, JP and Graeme for running this remarkable comp.
The 3 days were quite challanging. A lot of ups and downs.
But this is what it makes so interessting and what makes a real race.
Was a pleasure to stay with you in south england.
These 3 days have generated a lot of good memories!
Hope to see you soon on the slopes.

Markus

• Like 7

Well what a great comp! Congrats to the Markus, Mark and Peter. And many thanks to Allen and the band of helpers.

I'm sure a lot of us will have gone home as better pilots, thanks to the sheer intensity of flying for three days in such 'technical' conditions.

Here are a few words, with a link to the photo gallery:
https://rc-soar.com/gallery/2023/seo/index.php

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant photos as always Mike.   Good to see that Greg has got himself a decent aerobatic model at last 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellows. Challenging contest indeed, a good test of skills, awkward air but enough rounds to make it fair. Thanks to the workers.

I wonder, as it is listed as BMFA/EURO/WC comp, why it doesn't count in our league. Also, though I saw no need for an FAI licence myself I do now have a world placing on F3X vault, one comp and (no doubt unofficially) I'm 74th, yay! I must have it wrong.