FxRES March 2023 2m F3L/F5L Monthly Duration Challenge

martynk

FxRES Monthly Postal Rules

This is a “for fun” challenge for UK based pilots. Anyone may enter with:

1. a bungee-launched F3L (F3-RES) specification glider using the reduced length Hi-Start. The reduced length Hi-Start bungee has a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller/shorter bungee rubber may be used.

OR

2. an Electric motor launched F5-RES specification glider fitted with an Altitude Limiter set to 60m and a maximum motor run time of 20 seconds.

Object: Fly your F3L or F5-RES glider for as long as possible from a flat field. Each monthly challenge will commence on the 1st day of the Calendar month and  the person who's time is unbeaten at the end of the Calendar Month 'wins' and a new challenge will start. The annual challenge league will end on the 31st December of each year. A new annual challenge league will then commence on the 1st of January.

Rules:

Models must comply with the Model Specification rules for F3L (F3-RES) or F5L (F5-RES) as appropriate.

You may self-time your own flights

Flight times begin when the tow-line falls from the tow-hook (for F3L/F3-RES) or in the case of a F5-RES glider when the motor stops.

The model must land in the launch field or (if there is no field boundary) within 150m of the launch position for times to count. There is no landing bonus.

If you are using a bungee launch (for this event or any other), then the launch line MUST be secured using a corkscrew dog tether or similar bungee stake to minimise the risk of injury caused by a loose stake.

Scores must be submitted on the relevant monthly postal event posting on the FxRES forum at www.barcs.co.uk/forums/   

Scoring flights must be submitted within 24 hours of the flight taking place.

A flight log graph from the Altitude limiter should also be submitted if entering with a F5-RES glider.

All scoring flights must start with a hand release from Ground Level with (if applicable), the motor running.

No flight information telemetry permitted except for Received signal strength and Receiver battery status.

Submitted scores will be amalgamated into an annual league. Points will be awarded as follows:  1st -15 points, 2nd - 12points, 3rd - 10points, 4th to 12th, 9 to 1 point respectively.

You may enter as many times as you wish using as many different models as you wish, but only your longest duration flight will count towards the league position.

Please enter your best/latest monthly scores below in the following format...

ON THE FIRST LINE OF YOUR POST

Model Name : Class (F3 or F5) : Date of flight : Time Claimed

Any text or commentary or images please add afterwards.  Thanks  

Model – cRESt / F5L or F5RES / 2nd March / 15mins : 41sec.

JustGlide.thumb.png.64ae551e3826ba7ef907588668aed17d.png

Cold NE breeze, worst wind direction, coming down off Pendle Hill and associated high ground.

Only the second flight. Gave more elevator and rudder and had straightened one side of V-tail which was twisted.

FullFl.thumb.jpg.fcea266dff4ce69e8695ec2abdad2f4c.jpg

The Gulls would be heading over to the land fill near Burnley, so they would have to get over the hills between. They were gaining height to the west of me, both gliding and flapping. Spent the first 3 or 4mins trying to find lift / find the lift they were in. By the time I found their column they had gone. Most of the flight was a good 200yds to the west. Then it all vanished and I just came down.

Kept thinking I was in lift and circled, only after, looking at the graph did I realise it was all pointless and caused more height loss.

In my favour, it was really light lift, perhaps I would have been better with a lighter model. But that was the one I was sorting.

I would have bet good money that it was not a “good flight day” …........ You just have to get up there and fly !

HappyBird.thumb.JPG.9d6a83a0b4ac809baa8152af49f7bf73.JPG

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Graham Lorimer said:

Well done, tough target to be set for the start of a winter month.

Graham

Oh, don't worry, someone will trash it !

• Haha 1

StraightEdge

Maiden session this afternoon with the Medina F5-RES.  Also first time effectively with electric-launch, and first time using Altis Nano, so I hope I've done this correctly.

Cold, damp-feeling, and overcast, with a few very slight thermals... except for one single big one 0.5km downwind black with a dozen kites!

I was really out just to trim the new model (which in fact took very little effort), so rather pleased with 3mins:4secs (if I've plotted it correctly?).

The Medina (with Hyperflight's much cheaper equivalent of the Armsoar 1804 motor and a 6x4 prop) takes much less than 20secs to get to 60m (I'd say 1/2 to 2/3rds that), so I experimented sometimes with conserving juice and letting the altitude switch cut the motor, as per this modest best flight of the cold afternoon.

Jon

0403233m4sMedinaF5RES.thumb.png.203c5dfbd907c6dbae99a2846fdb7216.png

PXL_20230304_142245819.thumb.jpg.703b6347be40e17d91269d62c399404b.jpg

• Like 3

Graham Lorimer

I totally agree with your motor / prop selection, I find it a superb performer that is great value for money.

Graham

StraightEdge

Thanks chaps.  But I must clarify that, lovely as my Medina is, I can't take any credit for its appearance as it is the ARF version which I recently bought to ensure I don't miss any decent pre-season flying days.

My original Eli build for the wee Hacker A10 geared motor can now continue to proceed in a more leisurely fashion! 😉

• Like 1

andyharrold

Warboys, F5Res  , E-Res-E,  6 mins 47.

First flight of the day, joined by a couple of gulls. They then disappeared and now I know why!

It was my flight where I have experienced lift with this glider.

Other flights were all back down in about 3 minutes.

very cold at 4 degrees.

image.thumb.png.91bd69c704fa72d919d25375804baef4.png

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, andyharrold said:

Warboys, F5Res  , E-Res-E,  6 mins 47.

First flight of the day, joined by a couple of gulls. They then disappeared and now I know why!

It was my flight where I have experienced lift with this glider.

Other flights were all back down in about 3 minutes.

very cold at 4 degrees.

I see you are using RC Electronics (Multi 2 ?? ) - you do realise that its algo, if set to 60m will cut the motor before you get to 60 so that including zoom you will only get to 60m. Unless you have a version without the full algo limiter built in  ??   This time of year those gulls (heavier than us) are deceptive in their circling in "thermals"..... If you observe carefully they are in the "best" air and do more flapping than you think. I spent all yesterday chasing them (there was a lot) and though not coming down did not go up a whole lot either. Still it was far better than some of the sink I could find..

AllAfternoon.thumb.jpg.2e494ac494d3d674ab0fd43892978f13.jpg

David | F3L | Medina | 5th March | 37 mins 02

Got out on Saturday, grey and cool,  some good lift but too narrow.    Pin head thermalling,  one wrong move and the wing was tipped on it's end.    9 mins was my best.

This morning at 11am was quite pleasant,  some good lift.   Flew the X-RES for first time in ages.   Being lighter it's a lot more floaty than the Medina.   Sadly the wind direction was putting me over the no fly zone,  so every opportunity to speck out was thwarted.    Midday the sun disappeared,  the breeze picked up and it went grey and really cold.

Switched to the Medina.    Off the launch pushed up wind as far as I could see and picked up a tight squirrelly boomer.   Took me over 200 meters which is first time in way too long.     Managed to gain enough height before hitting no fly zone,  then pushed forward again and repeated.     Managed to do this around 8 times before 30 minutes ticked over.    At this point,  I couldn't feel my fingers (gloves on)  so called it a day.

Capture(10).thumb.JPG.7d47a59dbf4e8e0fda70400a3e7e8092.JPG

• Like 3

Pete in Northiam
On 02/03/2023 at 15:38, AnthonyB said:

Model – cRESt / F5L or F5RES / 2nd March / 15mins : 41sec.

JustGlide.thumb.png.64ae551e3826ba7ef907588668aed17d.png

Cold NE breeze, worst wind direction, coming down off Pendle Hill and associated high ground.

Only the second flight. Gave more elevator and rudder and had straightened one side of V-tail which was twisted.

FullFl.thumb.jpg.fcea266dff4ce69e8695ec2abdad2f4c.jpg

Think you may have posted the plots for the same flight twice Anthony - or you have very repeatable air!! Sorry - I don't mean to be picky, I've just been learning from everyone else's flight logs and realised I'd seen that curve before!  🙃  If that's near Pendle as in Clitheroe then I'm jealous!  I lived in Preston from 1995 to 2000 and hiked that area many times

2 hours ago, Pete in Northiam said:

Think you may have posted the plots for the same flight twice Anthony - or you have very repeatable air!! Sorry - I don't mean to be picky, I've just been learning from everyone else's flight logs and realised I'd seen that curve before!  🙃  If that's near Pendle as in Clitheroe then I'm jealous!  I lived in Preston from 1995 to 2000 and hiked that area many times

I could have made a mistake, but it would have been the first one in my life - so probably not (LOL).

I don't use the RC Electronics too much, the Altis being my norm. Also the fact that I downloaded as soon as I got in to find what time I had done.

It would be similar to what many do - launch - look for lift and probably find something (that's why it would be an entry) - Ride the lift until you lose it and then land because there is no more.

Here are some flights from that log -

MultiFlights.thumb.jpg.c1a1abcacf2aa46499b3546b3d44da0b.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Northiam said:

Yes I am 5mins away from Pendle. The best walks are hidden and you only find them after a long while.

I have so few photos with Pendle on, normally I am facing the other way, so it is Longridge Fell in the background.

Here you go - Pendle.

Pendle.thumb.JPG.df890f547acd921a4ebfb680cd523925.JPG

If you face the other way it is Stonyhurst College, dating back to 1200. Then there is Whalley Abbey and my local church St Leonards (1250) but there is lots more as you may know.

StonyH.thumb.JPG.73f2341cc42a15dc0754eed7a76fe022.JPG

• Like 2

Stewart Walker

F5RES | FRESH | BRAMHALL | 3 mins dead.

Got up this morning to lovely still conditions but by the time I had the batteries ready and got to the field the wind was picking up and quite gusty, luck to get the 3 minutes

20230311 180 secs.png