Battery performance in Cold Weather

EssexBOF

Although this refers to E Cars, confirms what those who fly in cold weather, have known for some time.

EVs in winter: official data

Most manufacturers do not highlight this restricted range. However, Citroen helpfully provides an official range calculator, showing the e-C4’s range in different temperatures:

Electric range, 20C: 217 miles

Electric range, 10C: 194 miles

Electric range, 0C: 175 miles

Electric range, -10C: 141 miles

This official data suggests that in seriously cold conditions, the e-C4’s battery becomes 35% less effective – wiping a significant 76 miles off the range. 

Similar tests by the Norwegian Automobile Federation (NAF) draw the same conclusion. It found that the Mercedes EQE 300 and Skoda Enyaq Coupe RS saw their range fall by a third in extreme cold.

BARCS 230

• 1 month later...

I wish I had paid more attention to your post. On Sunday, I started with an old, and cold battery, and maxed my height to about 180m. I changed to a newer battery, which I had kept in my pocket, and got to 249m, winning the booby prize at Malven. 

Also, on my way to Malvern, at Rugby services, 12 x Tesla, and 12 x other charging points were all being used. On my way back just 1 was spare. 

I tend to agree with the gist of your post, that EVs, and the charging infrastructure have some way to go before IC engines can be removed for good. Personally, I doubt we'll get even close during my lifetime. 

Yes, Simon, the costs of electric do not add up as them being a cost effective choice. A PHEV, would be the best option in my view at the present time.

• Like 1

I seem to remember reading that serious drone racing pilots will heat their batteries, a bit like F1 cars with the heated tyres. Must admit I'm surprised anyone is using flight time (I assume) to get an idea of launch height. What do you all use to judge launch height and when to cut the motor?

I used to be quite reasonable at judging DLG height, but then using an F5J totally screwed my judgement up because it was always far higher than I thought.

Dick Whitehead
1 hour ago, MikevE said:

I seem to remember reading that serious drone racing pilots will heat their batteries, a bit like F1 cars with the heated tyres. ...............................

Battery heating for F5B glider competitions has been a common practice for more than a decade. Partially to improve performance, but also to ensure consistent performance whatever the ambient temperature.

I usually heat mine to about 35C.

Dick

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikevE said:

Must admit I'm surprised anyone is using flight time (I assume) to get an idea of launch height. What do you all use to judge launch height and when to cut the motor?

I used the Altis V4 after a 30 second run on both occasions. 

23 minutes ago, Mr_SMO said:

I used the Altis V4 after a 30 second run on both occasions. 

OK, so you're using motor run time to get an approx altitude for your flight?

Thanks to NeilJ I have a very powerful motor and I can't use that method, and even if I dropped the throttle % substantially, I don't think it would be a very consistent way to choose your launch height.

• 7 months later...

Thought I'd add to this slightly off topic thread:

One thing amongst others stopping me from buying an EV, is the fear that new battery technology will devalue Lithium ion cars with immediate effect. We already have Lithium Sulphur batteries, 

https://www.rechargenews.com/energy-transition/breakthrough-for-new-battery-that-boasts-five-times-the-power-of-lithium-ion/2-1-1537524

Which seem to be threatening to come on tap any time soon, and also solid state batteries, already available as a portable power supply. 

https://ts2.space/en/revolutionary-energy-yoshinos-4000w-solid-state-lithium-ion-battery-unveiled/#gsc.tab=0

Just a matter of time before the first EVs appear with a range of over 500 miles, I fear. 

On topic for F5J, if you don't fly during the winter, then I'd be reluctant to buy new lipos this winter, expecting the possibility that new technology might be available by the spring, which will negate charging at the field, just by having one battery. 

So difficult to make decisions with the onward march of technology. 

All true and possible but no one can predict the future and we have to deal with situations as they are. Why I recently acquired a 3.0 diesel v6 Jaguar XFS. 

My point being that the diesel engine (my first) is very useful and gives hardly any pollution, or so I understand. 

• Like 1

"diesel cars emit less hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and lead pollution than petrol cars, but produce more noxious gases and significantly more particulates."

Diesel cars are best option for large motorway miles, but worst option for local school/shop run.

• 4 months later...

As predicted, the first solid state battery car with a range of over 500 miles, and not nearly as expensive as I thought. 

https://uk.motor1.com/news/715871/im-l6-ev-solid-state-battery-sale/

Solid state batteries must surely be around the corner for F5J, and guess what....... I've just bought 2 x lipos new for this season. 

If they arrive, not sure if you will need to change your ESC as well, or if it is just a straight swop. I'd be interested in other people's opinion.