IDS install question

Loppy19

The control rods are not symmetrical but which way up should they be installed? One side has a moulded ridge and looking from the top is convex, while the other side is smooth and concave.

Which way round should they be installed?

Thanks in advance, Cheers! Derek

side.png

• Loppy19 changed the title to IDS install question

It's been a while since I did the IDS install on my Explorer and I don't have any good photos but the rods are bent mainly for flap operation, as the flap surface lowers to high deflections (80° or more) the link rod moves down and might contact the wing lower skin where it passes through the rear spar, limiting the flap travel.

I would say that for flaps the link needs to be the way you have it in the photo above (concave surface down).

You could try a dry fit though the pins are difficult to remove and the horns are sometimes a very tight fit on the servo splines. I left a small part of the pins protruding so I can grab them with pliers if I need to change a servo.

26 minutes ago, gem said:

The rod goes in as shown in the photo with the crank on the servo end. The cranked section allows for the servo to travel further over centre. 

Post moved from other similar thread

Watched multiple YTs and the results are inconsistent, I think if it was a big F5J wing it would be much easier. This is a Magnus Hotliner and the wing is very thin. Anyway by trial and error I have concluded that the best fit. interestingly different for ailerons compared to flaps. thanks for your help