Sitar Special 88" Slope Ready - Finally!!

Mikey69

Happy New Year Everybody!!

As some of you will know I purchased a Sitar 88” from Ebay a few years ago, not knowing what it was, or anything about it. My purchase was based solely on the fact that I liked the model’s appearance. Fast forward a few years and the model is finally slopeworthy.

I wanted the finished model to have a more contemporary appearance, but with a nice ‘retro’ feel, and also improve a few things along the way – particularly the highly flexible wing joiner!! The colour scheme is my homage to the original scheme from the adverts of the time, and of course I retained the funky Sitar font.

The model now has carbon fibre tubes in each wing, replacing the old wooden joiner box, 2x incidence pins per wing, earth magnets to hold wings in place, flaps, and a spanky new paint finish. I wanted to get some practice in spraying a 3D paint finish, so the Sitar became the guinea pig!!

I’ve been toiling away at the model for many months. It’s been a long refurb because I had to modify the wings and fuselage wing seats, and much time was also spent prepping the model for it’s 3D paint finish.

The model felt pretty heavy for it’s size prior to renovation. Unfortunately, it seems the refurb has added considerable weight, so I suspect I will only be able to fly the model in 25+mph winds. I was very surprised that the model needed 373g nose weight to obtain the 70mm LE COG. I checked the NW is my spare Sitar 88, which feels significantly lighter and was surprised it was nearly 300g, and that was with a heavy old nicad, 2x standard servos, and a switch. My Sitar has small, lightweight servos, a much lighter lipo and no switch. Calculations revealed that I had to add an extra 40g when compared to my spare Sitar. Not ideal, but not the end of the world either.

It’s fortunate I enjoy flying Jarts in higher winds because I suspect the Sitar will be an interesting alternative. I can’t wait to fly it!!

Big thanks to all who sent me information on the Sitars, Dassels, Pfiels, and also to Andrew FL290, who very kindly took the time to scan an original sticker sheet and email the images to me. Your help was gratefully appreciated.

Unfortunately, the photos posted are indoor shots. The 3D paint only really works outdoors, so I’ll post some outdoor photos when I have some!

Happy flying to you all!

IMG_7815.jpeg

IMG_7810.jpeg

IMG_7808.jpeg

IMG_7824.jpeg

IMG_7769.jpeg

IMG_7774.jpeg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

• Like 5

John Minchell

Won a thermal soaring club competition with one of those decades ago!

Mind you it was blowing so hard we could only just stand up.

Lovely finish you have on yours.

John M

• 1 month later...

HI John,

Thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated.

Wow! You're the 2nd person i know of who won a competion with a Sitar in the 80s. One of my pals won a speed contest with one!!

I love flying in strong winds like that!! If you can only just stay on your feet at the edge you generally know the flying is going to be epic!!

Seriously looking forward to flying it.

Hopefully i'll post some piccies of it outdoors/in flight soon

All the best, Mike

• Like 1