Alternative batteries.

Ant

Any ideas on alternative batteries to my usual AA 4 cell square type for my sports gliders, size is about the limit for narrow moulded types, maybe Lipo/lion/life with a voltage regulator.

What is everyone using nowadays.

TIA. 

I think the most common cells are 2x 18650. With some people using 18500 if space is limited.

That would give you effectively the same voltage as a 2s lipo/lion battery which can be a problem if it's a model without HV servos. 

Phil.Taylor

Eneloop / Instant AA packs still work fine for me.

My F3Fs have 18500s - one has a Castle Creations 10amp BEC to drop the voltage for old- skool low voltage servos

Phil.

39 minutes ago, satinet said:

I think the most common cells are 2x 18650. With some people using 18500 if space is limited.

That would give you effectively the same voltage as a 2s lipo/lion battery which can be a problem if it's a model without HV servos. 

Can these be brought already soldered as a pair. TIA.

26 minutes ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Eneloop / Instant AA packs still work fine for me.

My F3Fs have 18500s - one has a Castle Creations 10amp BEC to drop the voltage for old- skool low voltage servos

Phil.

This could work in the gliders with a bit more room. A smaller bec (in size) would be neede in a couple of the tighter fitting fix’s. Ta.

I think the problem with AA eneloop is that the newer servos draw more current than say the days of the s3150. On old models the doesn't matter I guess but I wouldn't use them with a load of MKS or kst etc. 

I certainly don't miss the 2/3a nimh packs they were troublesome for me.

The 18650/18500 is a good shape for glider noses plus you get high capacity, high current and good cold weather performance in a hard case.  Really the only downside is higher voltage.  They're not even particularly expensive.  

Funny how your mentally changes because I avoid NiMH these days. Maybe they weren't that bad. Expect AAA, and 2/3a. Maybe they were I don't know...

The other alternative is lifepo4 batteries which you can get in a size similar to 2/3a and the voltage is around 6.5v which can work. https://www.componentshop.co.uk/6-6v-1600mah-3c-lifepo4-receiver-rc-battery-long-type-vapex.html

1 hour ago, satinet said:

I think the problem with AA eneloop is that the newer servos draw more current than say the days of the s3150. On old models the doesn't matter I guess but I wouldn't use them with a load of MKS or kst etc. 

I certainly don't miss the 2/3a nimh packs they were troublesome for me.

The 18650/18500 is a good shape for glider noses plus you get high capacity, high current and good cold weather performance in a hard case.  Really the only downside is higher voltage.  They're not even particularly expensive.  

Funny how your mentally changes because I avoid NiMH these days. Maybe they weren't that bad. Expect AAA, and 2/3a. Maybe they were I don't know...

The other alternative is lifepo4 batteries which you can get in a size similar to 2/3a and the voltage is around 6.5v which can work. https://www.componentshop.co.uk/6-6v-1600mah-3c-lifepo4-receiver-rc-battery-long-type-vapex.html

Never thought of those, thanks,