F3F Champion of Champions 23-24 March 2024

mtreble

paul garnett

Phew, what a few days that was! 
Thanks for the kind words guys, appreciated, had a cracking first day on Levisham, I did have a good share of the air, I did push my luck as well!! It all nearly came to an end when I launched and transmitter battery alarm sounded, may have been able to get a flight in, but decided best to abort, safety is paramount, especially when the wind is blowing hard and blustery, figuring my cop was over!! BIG thanks to Mark Treble who had a battery to would fit, only lost the one round, could have done without that hiccup though!!

Day 2 was looking great, different hill, very challenging sometimes, it didn’t disappoint, wind blowing up to 20m/s, but no lift.. but the odd bit coming through, you had to be tidy, I almost lost it on B when it semi flicked, I was hardly touching it your honour, maybe a bit close to the edge! 
Only 2 cuts which cost me dear today, wouldn’t be me if I didn’t eh?

Mark Redsell was chasing me with some super smooth flying but I just managed to stay ahead . 

managed FTD as well with a 33.25.

So big thanks to everyone who made it a great comp, good to see some old friends from ‘the south’ and the guys a bit further north, hope your drive home was uneventful.

See you all again

PG

• Like 5

Yep....Mr G 100% committed on the bases and very impressive pumps! Excellent flying both days too.

Really good to see Williams efforts paying off too....

Really difficult conditions both days, as lumpy as it gets, with big thermals too.

Only 2 events (?) run across all locations this winter so good to get a couple of days out though. 👍

• Like 4

Talk about the Wild West, We had it in spades this weekend. First Levisham and today on the NW Ridge
The Wind carried on from where it left off yesterday, strong variable and bumpy. To add to the pilots work load, the walk to the landing area was through knee high heather which just added to the physical exhaustion of flying in those conditions.
In order to put an end on proceedings, it was agreed to make 20 rounds the limit for the comp.

Thus at the end, with some truly inspiring flying, in first place and CoC Champion 2024 was  Paul Garnett, closing in on second place was Mark Redsell, and with a terrific third place was William Fourie, moving up from 5th place the day before.  Fastest time of the weekend was retained by Paul with a 33.25

image.png.ef977989414f65237d2146c22f67399d.png

Great comp, and I did promise some great weather, maybe a little less great next time.
Look forward the summer league, and see all you guys soon

Jon

Edited by Jon_E
Data error
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Jon_E said:

Talk about the Wild West, We had it in spades this weekend. First Levisham and today on the NW Ridge
The Wind carried on from where it left off yesterday, strong variable and bumpy. To add to the pilots work load, the walk to the landing area was through knee high heather which just added to the physical exhaustion of flying in those conditions.
In order to put an end on proceedings, it was agreed to make 20 rounds the limit for the comp.

Thus at the end, with some truly inspiring flying, in first place and CoC Champion 2024 was  Paul Garnett, closing in on second place was Mark Redsell, and with a terrific third place was William Fourie, moving up from 5th place the day before.  Fastest time of the weekend was retained by Paul with a 33.25

image.png.fec9045594d3143a0cba37f6d1ac332c.png

Great comp, and I did promise some great weather, maybe a little less great next time.
Look forward the summer league, and see all you guys soon

Jon

Why's Mr Gunnings name on the final list Jon?

William

A wonderful couple of days of incredibly variable conditions. Was super excited to get my first podium position🥳. Thanks for running a great event you northerners 😃

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, William said:

Oh, and for Andy B: 🖕🤣🖕

IMG-20240324-WA0000.jpg.252dc43db33da0a5d53473d902361d3d.jpg

Well done mate well deserved 👏 

• Like 1

paul garnett
10 minutes ago, Les said:

Why's Mr Gunnings name on the final list Jon?

He’s put Mark R in twice.. Pete was 5th

• Like 1

Yep super weekend. Could have been a tad warmer, but otherwise great.

Fantastic to see Paul smashing it again. Great flying with the Old Proton doing it's stuff, but equally good with the few rounds he flew with the Needle.

Tricky conditions, 20 rounds of course helped to give a fair result. Mark and Will both flying super smooth, (most of the time).

My first comp after the op, so I'm very happy to have come off the hill feeling fit and well. 

Thanks to everyone for making the comp a success. Hard work at times.

• Like 6

Great to finally get out flying again after such a long time.

This sessions winter league hasn't been good to us with all the comps in the Midlands and Wales being canceled. 

Day one for me was a day of two half,morning being not the best but lady look gave me a bit better conditions in the afternoon on Levisham. 

Then today just did two rounds that felt like I was flying with full crow deployed with a large lady sat on top of my glider.

But that's the look sometimes. 

Brilliant to catch back up with everyone again and hopefully the summer comps bring a few more of you out back play.

Some excellent flying though out the two days by the top three,well done guys.

It was great to see Bruce fly that 36 on Levisham,bang on every base and never faltered .

If anyone who reads these F3F comments and thinks they would like to come along and have ago we'd all be more than happy to give you all the support and help we can.

You do not need the latest models that are on sales to be competitive.

At the moment Ian Masson is doing a great deal for his new designed glider the Wyvern which was going very well at times this weekend. 

Big thanks to Jon and Mark for running this years Champion of Champions. 

See you all in Wales in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 5

Peter G

Yep, lots of positive's; lots of exercise, lots of rounds, good food, good weather, good company, windy 👍

Well done Paul, great to see you win this one so convincingly. Also great to see Wiliam on the podium and so delighted!

I am saving my luck for another day.

Thanks to Jon & Mark for organising,  new bibs are nice. Can we see the spreadsheet some time please.

• Like 3

Thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. 

Congratulations to the top 3.

I watched open mouthed at some of the flying skills.

Thanks to Jon and Mark for running the show. 

Hope to see you on a slope soon. 

• Like 3

Good to see everyone made it home safely. I think there were some early to bed households after that!
That was some weekend, need to have a few weeks off now, not to mention a bit of model repairs!

However, apologies for the results error, no excuses but I'm going to give one anyway
Issues with the Data file meant I had to create the leader board separately.
All sorted now, so attached is a cutdown spreadsheet which hopefully everyone can open

Jon

Champions2024 No Macros.xls

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

oipigface

Did anyone take photos? I’m very interested to see the new bibs and William’s smile!

• Haha 1

simon_t

Congrats on getting two days of interesting flying in.  Great to see Paul G at the top, even with a couple of cuts and a heroic save.  Class act!  The Needle was always a very fast model in the right hands, and I always wondered if it had been made stiffer and with slightly more tail area whether we would all still be flying them.  Good to also see Mike E back in action as well, good stuff.

Simon

• Like 1

mtreble
1 hour ago, oipigface said:

Did anyone take photos? I’m very interested to see the new bibs and William’s smile!

Ian took a load at the prize giving. I am sure he will post them in good time.

• Like 1

Ian F3F

What a weekend, 20 rounds in 2 full on days was great opportunity to get some practice in with my Wyvern but I’m definitely a slow learner!

Huge thanks to Mark and John for organising the days and simply keeping going to the end.  I don’t think that anyone could argue with the results (I will send you the pictures William).

Some excellent flying and even better banter but quite what Andy got up to I’m not sure😊

It definitely felt like the winter league had ended as we finished the day with an ice cream 

Looking forward to the next comp I can get to.

Ian

• Like 3

Redbird

A grreat comp with some superb flying from everyone at times. It was good to join the NYM Heather Tramplers again, I feel for the short legged - and those with Monday morning jobs.

What a great bunch of guys you all are. 

• Like 3

William
59 minutes ago, Redbird said:

A grreat comp with some superb flying from everyone at times. It was good to join the NYM Heather Tramplers again, I feel for the short legged - and those with Monday morning jobs.

What a great bunch of guys you all are. 

I'm short legged AND had to get up at 0300 on Monday but it was soooo worth it!😀

• Haha 1