Another nose repair - canopy style

Phil.Taylor

Phil.Taylor

Another F3F nose repair - but this ones an old-skool canopy style fus - A Rotmilan I acquired recently

Documenting it here in case its useful/interesting to anyone - let me know

Clean break across a previous repair - done with carbon & kevlar - messy. Canopy style can usually be repaired just from the inside - but this one has a very solidly fixed servo tray & ballast tube in the way - so the repair will be partly internal & mostly external.

Rot_1.thumb.jpg.9104e3be6867216bf049717c3a8f5603.jpgRot_2.thumb.jpg.a64865cd2cd609e80acf42bb8f410da8.jpg

Phil.Taylor

First job - file off the kevlar from the previous repair - horrible stuff.

Then - re-align the nose & fus back together - easy cos of the previous repair - fitted together well - tape tightly together with masking tape. Thin cyano into the cracks from the inside to hold it together.

Rot_3.thumb.jpg.790ddd1bd30b42bd21ca8587a6a44071.jpg

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

Next - 10x0.5mm carbon strips - roughed up well - epoxied along & beyond the canopy edges - which is the weak point of a canopy style fus. Full-strength old-fashioned slow set Araldite - left overnight. Also some epoxy internally across the break to cover missing bits.

Morning - bit of a trim & tidy up with a sharp knife - looking good & feels solid. Will leave to set solidly for a few days before the next bit - which will be a classic "grind away across the break & feather the edges & lay in carbon/epoxy & trim back the outside when set"

Rot_4.thumb.jpg.536edd003676b5d0de96c3791b4f67e2.jpgRot_5.thumb.jpg.11aa80ae7a6513fbc283dcaba08cc876.jpg

• Like 3

Phil.Taylor
3 hours ago, wookman said:

Nice work, as ever. You have gone all retro on us Phil!

Haha

Just picked up a carload of really retro stuff from an ebay sale - including an original Airjet/Carrera Sagitta - unbuilt - boxed - super rare!

• Like 4

Phil.Taylor

HaHa - I see that eagle eyes have spotted that - thanks for the "likes" - so I've started a thread about the Sagitta in the slope soaring section

Phil

Phil.Taylor

Just done the hard work bit - sanding back across the break - nice shallow "U" profile for the new carbon & epoxy. Mostly done with rough 80 grade wrapped around a half-round file. Its the first time I've done one with kevlar in the layup - horrible stuff - doesnt sand cleanly, fluffs up. All masked up ready for the messy sticky carbon & epoxy bit.

Phil.

Rot_6.thumb.jpg.71c33786d1295b92a45417c5c5aa262c.jpgRot_7.thumb.jpg.2e3b1e0a2e086ffaf114be9b567708e9.jpg

oipigface

Kevlar behaves better, Phil, if you soak it in thin cyano before sanding. It's still not fun, but it's better. Try not to inhale the fumes!

Carbon & epoxy laid up - 2x layers of fairly heavy carbon - then all wrapped up. I've found that a piece of Tesco plastic bag over the carbon & epoxy helps to keep things tidy - then wrapped very tightly with masking tape.

Rot_8.thumb.jpg.67b5d62a2fdf6179a7dfd6ce675ae794.jpg

Unwrapped - Tesco plastic bag comes away very cleanly. Very happy with that lot - will be left somewhere warm to fully cure for about a week before sanding back.

Rot_9.thumb.jpg.98d91202f86e101a0eaf1efd9ea63bce.jpgRot_10.thumb.jpg.6fd19d8b9c8ee194a72b6fdeee8024f3.jpg

• Like 2

John Minchell

Easy Composites do a flat tape which can be spiral wound around a boom and then heat shrunk as well.  Starts at £3.60 for a 10m roll.  And the CF fishing rod repair kits have everything you need to do this type of repair.

John M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Minchell said:

Easy Composites do a flat tape which can be spiral wound around a boom and then heat shrunk as well.  Starts at £3.60 for a 10m roll.  And the CF fishing rod repair kits have everything you need to do this type of repair.

John M

Found it - this stuff

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/composites-shrink-tape

Will give this a try

Phil.

John Minchell

It helps that they are only a few miles away from me so I can nip in and pick up supplies and save postal costs as I drive by there fairly regularly.  There is also a brilliant set of training / how to videos on their website too.

John M