F5 L (RES) contest this bank holiday!

CTR

Weather forecast is looking a bit hit and miss at the moment 😔

Jerry Lunt

If the results for this comp should be added to the totals, I won't be able to do so till mid to end of May.

Wood Gnome
Posted (edited)

Hi All thanks for your interest looking at the forecast now Monday is looking pretty miserable but Sunday looks really nice have spoken to Tony and the field should be ok: Please can you confirm if you can do Sunday by tomorrow lunch time as it would be nice to be able to swap. I will then do a Yes  / No at 6.00 PM  on Saturday.

Many Thanks Paul

Edited by Wood Gnome
correction
  • Like 1

John H

Paul, can do Sun or Mon but would prefer Monday. Although forecast is currently better for Sat it's so changeable that I don't have a lot of faith it it.

I can do Sunday. Would be disappointing to travel a couple of hours on Monday and then not fly due to rain.

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Paul I am ok with Sunday but concerned about the state of the field.Worried about getting stuck on the field with my heavy van.

4 hours ago, PeteMitchell said:

Paul I am ok with Sunday but concerned about the state of the field.Worried about getting stuck on the field with my heavy van.

Bring some rope and someone can tow you out 😁

tonym

I've just come back from the Little Bentley field, it's wet in a few places but with care quite navigable :)

The entrance looks the worst but if you avoid the soft bits you'll be fine. The first couple of puddles don't hide anything bad, the bits to avoid are fairly obvious.
IMG_20240504_160247549_HDR.thumb.jpg.1f2e8c8458386399ec2696638d2b3c4d.jpg

Rather than the usual left turn between the fence posts (I've put tape up to stop you), bear to the right to avoid that wet area (in the crook of my red line above) then go along side the obvious churned up track then on the track by the hedge. Park along side the hedge where I've put the green line, maybe nose to tail, again choose your spot when turning round and you'll be fine. Remember, there are likely to be walkers that walk that track by the hedge so keep a path through between your vehicles and any stuff you put on the grass. Paul and John can advise where they would like you to park.

field.thumb.png.952f9b60143c2ca53a9bf9f57a9d4962.png

• Like 1

John H

Just spoke to Paul, he does not have internet access at the moment but confirmed that the competition is ON for tomorrow (Sunday)

Start 10:30am 

The address is: Manningtree Road, Little Bentley, United Kingdom, CO7 8SP

See Tony's post re driving on the field.  If in doubt you can park on the hard at the entrance.

John h

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Thanks for checking the field Tony.

We have parked in this area before and it is perfectly OK for a car, but a bit too risky for my van.

Sorry I will miss the flying, hope you all have fun.

Pete

John H
1 minute ago, PeteMitchell said:

Thanks for checking the field Tony.

We have parked in this area before and it is perfectly OK for a car, but a bit too risky for my van.

Sorry I will miss the flying, hope you all have fun.

Pete

Pete, you can always park on the hard standing at the entrance.  

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell
1 hour ago, John H said:

Pete, you can always park on the hard standing at the entrance.  

Thanks John,  if I was 10yrs younger the walk to and from during the day, carrying my gear would not bother me much.

But sad to say it is a problem now🥴

John H

Wow, what a wonderful day today it was for a RES comp. Thanks to all who attended the Polo field at Lt Bentley. The sky was blue, the wind was light, the buzzards pointed out the thermals and the field was nowhere near as wet as it looked in Tony’s photo. 

LtBentley 1.jpg

LtBentley 2.jpg

LtBentley 3.jpg

LtBently 4.jpg

• Like 6

Wood Gnome

Just to add my thanks to all who attended and to confirm that despite the much shuffling of score sheets and tapping of calculator keys at the end the adding up was correct with the correct placings and well done again to David with his ace flying in the more difficult afternoon conditions and Justin on his first competition. The spreadsheet with scores is attached below.

A great day out.

IRCMC F5L Score Sheet 5.5.24.xlsx

• Like 1

David Godbold

Many thanks to Paul and John for organising the competition, with perfect weather for flying.

A couple of people asked me about my plane, it’s an Allegro-E-Lite 2m, you can download the plan from the Charles River RC web site

https://charlesriverrc.org/articles/on-line-plans/mark-drela-designs/allegro-lite-2m/

it’s an old design now, but I do like the wing section, it will penetrate when required.

• Like 1

Pete in Northiam
Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2024 at 16:25, Wood Gnome said:

Hi All thanks for your interest looking at the forecast now Monday is looking pretty miserable but Sunday looks really nice have spoken to Tony and the field should be ok: Please can you confirm if you can do Sunday by tomorrow lunch time as it would be nice to be able to swap. I will then do a Yes  / No at 6.00 PM  on Saturday.

Many Thanks Paul

Love the group pic - wish I'd been there! Can I campaign for an F3 class next time too please? Or maybe I have plenty of wings but just need to get an F5L fuselage sorted! Little Bentley is the closest contest site to me yet (I'm down near Rye) for any FxL so thanks for getting it going

Well done everyone who got there with a shift of dates, too.  A lesson learned in the FxRES league has been the advantage of booking either/or dates, usually Saturday or Sunday, with a weather call late on the Wednesday before or early Thursday.  Forecasts for the UK are all unreliable beyond about three days ahead because weather is essentially chaotic (plea for authority: I worked with the Met Office 🙏) but when they all start agreeing it's 95% likely to be a good call.  It makes booking sites (and helpers, accomodation etc) a little harder but, with that option, I think we only cancelled two entire weekends twice in two years. 

Best wishes --Pete

Edited by Pete in Northiam
Typo

Pete in Northiam
7 hours ago, David Godbold said:

... A couple of people asked me about my plane, it’s an Allegro-E-Lite 2m, you can download the plan from the Charles River RC web site

https://charlesriverrc.org/articles/on-line-plans/mark-drela-designs/allegro-lite-2m/

it’s an old design now, but I do like the wing section, it will penetrate when required.

Maybe old, David, but gold doesn't tarnish.  Now I really wish I'd been there to talk too.  I found Prof. Drela's sections via my PuRES kit (I'm new back into thermal soaring from the 1970s) but I read all of the articles on charlesriverrc.org and beyond before building.  The PuRES v2 doesn't use AG35 right, omitting LE sheeting for laser-cut riblets and putting the spoiler not on it's flat section.  Worse, the designer missed the ribs are designed to be built flat and added unecessary "jack-up" tabs to all the ribs...

Ho hum, but an Allegro Lite went on my build list and moved up after @Alex Maxfield showed how well a sheeted wing worked at the (inaugural!) Buckminster F3L/F5L meeting. So, may I ask if you built it to plan and, if you got a rib set cut, where please?  I'd like some!  And how did your all-up weight come out?  

Look forward to seeing you and it at an event - Upton-on-Severn next :) Cheers --Pete

• Like 2