Stingrays

Andy_B

slope_dragon_x

Andy_B said:

Ill be there in August …..
Are you booked into the hotel Andy?  As Mike says you just cannot compare how the conditions look with those we have in the UK.  Wind generates hardly any slope lift and most flying is done with thermal lift.  If it's there it's much "purer" than dynamic lift because there is less turbelence. Vid removed to save wasting people's time.

yeah were in the hotel Paul     12th to 14th Auigust Now thats hard core DS   at 3:20    not everyone wants to DS there 6mtr mouldie

slope_dragon_x

Andy_B said:

yeah were in the hotel Paul     12th to 14th Auigust
Huh, envious, me?  If it's your first time then you're in for slope heaven.Did you not want to stay for the IGG meet?

• 3 weeks later...
slope_dragon_x

Hi MaxThe lack of any discernible wing flex is rather impressive.But just as impressive was the inertia and low level aeros the HS allowed.Interesting - I'd never thought of Ray as a candidate for aerotow.  rolling.gif

cliffhanger

Slope Dragon- do you have the throws you've been using for crow landing?This would just leave me some fine adjustment on my maiden which I'm hoping will be soon smug.gif

slope_dragon_x

Hi Rog

These are the settings that I used on the first few flights. 

Elevator movements are measured where the notch on the tail panels meets the fin – not where the trailing edge meets the rudder. 

Aileron movements were measured at the tip and flap movements were measured at the root.

AMT Elevator  +17 / -15  mm (+ up, - down)
Rudder (at trailing edge)  +50 / -50mmAileron   +15 / -8  mm
Flap mix with aileron  +20 / -8mm
Snap flap  -8 mm
Thermal flap  -5 mm  elevator compensation  -3 mm
Crow Brakes Flap  -45 mm Aileron +15 mm  elevator compensation  -8 mm I may have tweaked them since, but not much other than I think the elevator compensation on crow, which I increased to maybe -10mm (sorry I haven't measured it since - I'll check the next time the model is rigged).

There was some discussion on the old forum about mixing flap with aileron.  My latest thinking is that in smooth air no mixing is required, but in turbulent air (which seems to prevail in strong lift) I prefer with mixing.

cliffhanger

Hi Paul, if I can pick your brains again. I've looked through the RCMF Stingray build thread regarding wipers.Sylvain says he used a sellotape like mat'l, doubled over.What did you use, and was it fairly straightforward?For some reason I've got a mental block on doing these wipers as it'll be a first for me.( I reckon it was a bit stingy of X models not to incude them originally)sad.gif

slope_dragon_x

The wipers that I used on Ray were made from overlapping tape, although there are other ways including making up your own fibreglass strip and applying it with double sided tape. 

Maybe Max also has a suggestion for wipers.... ? For the overlapping tape method....Unroll a length of tape sticky side up, with sufficient length for the surface it's going on to, plus some allowance. 

Use something like a weight or ruler at each end to keep the tape straight.Unroll another length of tape and lay this on the first piece sticky side down, but with an overlap on the width.  That will leave 2 sticky edges, one of which will be used to attach the tape to the surface. 

Trim the other exposed sticky edge and dispose. 

The main difficulty is getting sufficient width of tape that it will remain inside the wing on full "up" deflection, but does not create a "stop" when the surface is fully closed.  You will need to measure inside the false trailing edge to try to guage the width required and even then you'll probably need a bit of trial and error. 

Do that with one surface only until you're happy that it's right before making up all the wipers.Flex of the tape isn't particularly critical.  My first attempt was with insulation tape which I've used successfully before, but for some reason one of the wipers kept "blowing out" from one of the flaps in flight on my Ray. 

So I've now changed the tape on all the wipers to "Magic" tape.  This seems to be sufficiently stiff to avoid "blow out".I've made it sound more complicated than it really is; once you've seen it (and done it) you will think it's quite simple.

cliffhanger

Once again thanks for that!  afro.gifI've still got some Sellotape crystal clear which I'll use.I'm thinking that the flap wipers will not need to be so wide, but no harm in making them all the same I guess.

Not sure why you bother to put them inside, Paul?  I make wipers like that out of magic tape for situations where I may have trimmed the original ones away, and I just slap the tape wipers on the outside.  May not look that neat, but it's the underside which is rarely seen.  Wind pressure keeps them dead flat in flight smug.gif.

cliffhanger

Chris- guess you mean that they get stuck to the wing trailing edge as opposed to the aileron leading edge.Mmm... 'spose it'll do the job, I've done similar on foamie planks.But after coming this far, reckon I'll go for the orthodox method- the Stingray provides a slight step in the leading edges to stick the wipers so they are not overflush.