Any thoughts on the Vampire F3F/B

Scott Ravenscroft

Scott Ravenscroft

All new settings programmed in now, wow totally different to what I was using, looking forward to flying it, should be very responsive, I have double the aileron movement, and I dont usually use full length snap flap, and certainly not this much!Question Piere,  I dont use reflex on any of my planes, I have however put 2mm in as per your settings, do you use reflex on every f3f run, or only in certain conditions. Scott

In certain condition only, from Medium to strong conditions. I think I will soon investigate a flap settings for very small conditions, with a little camber to gain some lift. Pierre

Scott Ravenscroft

Piere, could you please tell me what battery set up you have in your vampire, Im using a 4 cell interlect pack and by my reconing is only just upto the job, ie able to drop it down to 3.7vdc under load of 6 digi servos, maybe 5 cell and a regulator maybe best. Thanks in advanceScott

isoaritfirst

Scott if that pack is the 1600 2/3A cells they are good for around 20c so should be able to give out up to 32amps so no problem dealing with your 6 servos. If its AA cells at 10c then they should be good for 10A, so again should be no problem. Although C ratings drop by possible half in very cold weather. 

I used 4 Eneloop cells batterie. The vampire uses 6 digital MKS servos, that are known to be more demanding. Only once, after 1 hour of intensive F3F practice, and after landing, I got an alarm from my Jeti HF module indicating a voltage drop, while I was playing with the 6 servos together. For my 2 next sailplanes that are arriving in few days, I just ordered the new Eneloop XX which is 2.5mAh capacity. a good address: http://eu.nkon.nlI would have prefer the eneloop PRO which is designed for higher power demand, but they seems to not be available. Scott, you wont be able to put 5 cells AA in the Vampire. You can scwitch to Life or Lipo, with a voltage booster. Pierre

Scott Ravenscroft said:

Piere, could you please tell me what battery set up you have in your vampire, Im using a 4 cell interlect pack and by my reconing is only just upto the job, ie able to drop it down to 3.7vdc under load of 6 digi servos, maybe 5 cell and a regulator maybe best. Thanks in advanceScott
Intellects should not be drooping voltage like that - either you have a cell problem (I have one of Martin's packs that has a high resistance cell, and I have not been able to 'repair' it) or there maybe a bad solder joint or crimp.  When the battery was new did you do a very low current 'forming' charge before using higher currents?  I have intellects in all my models because they hold such a high voltage under load. Simon

Scott Ravenscroft

Thanks Gents, the reason I asked was I browned out my radio gear at 3.5vdc, put batt on charge and it only put 700mah back in, after a charge I have just put the plane on servo test (it waggles each surface for you ) for about 1.5 hours I can now get a low batt waning when quickly moving all six servos, its prob normal and just me, Before tellemetry you just didnt know, now I find it alarming to see downward spikes to 3.7vdc.Guess Im just going to fly for an hour then charge to be on the safe side. Scott Ps, yes Mike sorry wasnt thinking of the C rating, just overall capacity, doe

Scott Ravenscroft

Yes Simon I did a forming charge, most of the time my rx telemetry reads 5.2/5.1/5.0 vdc, mostly when waggling the sticks I can get it to dip to say 4.8/4.6 vdc, and when you go crazy on the sticks (which you obviously wouldnt do flying) after say an hour of use I can get spikes under 4vdc, never stays there but telemetry records the lowest vdc achieved.Its just a bit worrying that I managed to brown out on the table. Scott

• 4 weeks later...
Scott Ravenscroft

Well found the batt to be faulty, replaced, flew today in light thermal conditions, almost fully ballasted, finally getting to grips with it, I like!!!!!!

isoaritfirst

I flew off the smallest (slope) field I now today and went higher than I have ever been before.The Sigma III is such a nice model for handballing down a field. The low level thermals were very tricky today, Phil couldn't get away at all. Yesterday the sky was much fuller with Cumulus and the day was significantly easier, but today I went higher, think I touched a wispy cloud at one point.I was loosing sight of it and it was directly overhead in very clear skies, and still going up when I bailed. Fun weekend. 

isoaritfirst said:

The Sigma III is such a nice model for handballing down a field. 
Better than the Cluster surprise.gif?

isoaritfirst

Woodstock said:

isoaritfirst said:

The Sigma III is such a nice model for handballing down a field. 
Better than the Cluster 
?

You know me Chris, I enjoy the challenge, and despite the weight of the Sigma it is very rewarding to fly, it thermals predictably, and works much better when you fly it much better, so is a very rewarding model to fly.I suspect the Cluster would have been a different experience.Its a real shame that they didn't market the Sigma differently.Both the F3j version and the F3B version were way off the mark against current competition trends, but the B version in particular is a stunning model.

isoaritfirst

I have some onboard video of a pretty high flight from Saturday.When I watched it back there is a spider on the nose cone when I throw the model. He spends the whole flight running around the nose cone. Its a shame that the sound isn't better because I'm sure hes shouting something. And if the close focus was better you would probably be able to notice him striking a pose. 

• 4 months later...
Adam Richardson

Seems Slope racer has 6 vampires currently on route from Jessina. And they are all sold! So who's having them? Ok one is mine but what about the other 5?

The Vampire is the _best_ plane in my fleet.I have a couple of _tiny_ issues with it, but head and shoulders, it's the weapon in the fleet(and I do own a very very very similar plane) *cof*  Vampire is better.Vampire took x wind "arrivals"Vampire took blind landing in heather (couldn't see it, thumbs off sticks)Vampire took being "smacked into" landing area.*similar* plane, erm didn't. Ho hum. Vampire, rather  good, and rather fast toy.