Vector 3

Moorslope

grin.gifAre there any Vector 3 lovers out there and if so what settings do you have and what experiances have you had., I have had mine 5 months now but not flown it much but am slowly getting to grips with it, flew it with half ballast today in 20 mph winds, it allowed it to penetrate really well and the manuvers were crisp.grin.gif

Well, before I sold mine on, I had an interesting experience where I had a sudden lock-out with no control, whilst she was inverted and dead level.  She carried on with that for a long while while whilst I switched my (35 MM) radio off then on again, regained controlsmug.gif... But, I guess that's not what your'e asking for, is itconfused.gif?

that must have been scarry, Im 2.4 and had no issues like that well not yet, hope I dont, why did you sell it any reason

I sort fell out of love with it .....It can do every move in the book, but I found it a bit "cold" and clinical.  Just my personal taste, I prefer my Voltij and Wasabi, but a lot of people get different mileage..  

I have a voltj but she is a ***** to land might convert it to 4 servo wing now I have the Vector, and would lov a wasabi

slope_dragon_x

There seem to be 2 schools of thought with the Vec 3:those who like to ballast it up and fly fast but big pattern type manouvresthose who like to fly it light with VTPR stuff. I would count myself in the second camp, but I'm certainly not adverse to flying big stuff with it when the lift is really switched on.  It can certainly fly fast without ballast and has a good speed range. In fact I really prefer to fly it in thermic conditions; it will scratch ok in sink (something I could never get the Voltij to do) but picks up speed like a scolded cat when the lift comes through.  One of the few models that I have managed a rolling loop with.There's bound to be lots of different views about set up. I always have snapflap (positive and negative cos the wing doesn't know which way up it is) and I mostly use ailerons without coupled flap for roll.  Definitely no coupled aileron-rudder. My cg is quite far back (108mm I think).  Use rates or expo to allow you to switch between VTPR and pattern (I don't like expo – as a nipple tweaker I think I can do without it).The only disappointment is the feeble rudder, but that has become more responnsive with a rearward cg.

Moorslope said:

I have a voltj but she is a ***** to land might convert it to 4 servo wing now I have the Vector, and would lov a wasabi
My Vj is a 4-servo wing, as I'd heard about the landing problem.  I recently converted my Wasabi to have flaps as well - well worth it - before that EVERY landing was a crash sad.gif..

Pete Burgess

I LOVE my Vec3, best 'bang per buck' model out there smile.gifI do have Aile>Flap mix ON giving about a third flap travel, however, I do mix the flap travel out when under Crow.I do not usually use ballast in winds under 25mph and then only upto 3 slugs.

I've got Chris's old one. Not flown enough. But useful stuff here about settings. Currently it's very vanilla until I get a bit more used to it. Did you fly yours (mine!) with the ballast in it Chris?  

Gonesoaring2003

I've just acquired a Vec 3 from Mr Moose, haven't flown it yet but looking at the instructions (http://www.rcrcm.com/pdf/Vecto.....Manual.pdf) it states at the very end, for aeros use coupled flap and elevator +/- 18 mm. What does this mean?Also I'm new to aeros - know the obvious rolls, loops, stall turns, spins, when I get comfortable with the Vec what other manoeuvres should I look at? A brief description including inputs and considerations / what can go wrong,would be great - perhaps I should start a new thread for Aero descriptions instead of hiding it in this one? CheersAlex

Bobbyr said:

I know its powered , but the moves are the same ,        some you cant do like Torque rolls and prop hanging , but you will get the Idea smug.gif                 http://www.geistware.com/rcmod.....maneuvers/                                        Bob
Aha, so THAT'S what those moves are called!  Never really knew this terminology, I just do things...  Sure sounds much more impressive in print than the actual movessmile.gif...

Gonesoaring2003 said:

it states at the very end, for aeros use coupled flap and elevator +/- 18 mm. What does this mean? 
I can only assume it means "snap flap", although the suggested travel of 18 mm sounds way too much for snap flap... Snap flap is where you mix in a small movement of flap (or flap AND aileron, so the whole TE moves together) with elevator.  Up ele + down flap, and vice versa (with a symmetrical foil like the VIII, ypu can have equal up and down snap flap).  Some prefer to have it come into action with a switch, I generally leave it on most aerobatic planes all the time.

Gonesoaring2003

Thanks Bob – so most other manoeuvres are a variation of, or combination of loop and roll.Thanks Chris – like you say 18mm seems a bit much for snapflap, i wondered if it was a typo and should be coupled flap – aileron with 18mm movement on all surfaces in all directions. Alex

Woodstock said:

Bobbyr said:

I know its powered , but the moves are the same ,        some you cant do like Torque rolls and prop hanging , but you will get the Idea
smug.gif

Bob
Aha, so THAT'S what those moves are called!  Never really knew this terminology, I just
do
things…  Sure sounds much more impressive in print than the actual moves
smile.gif

I there a website out there dedicated to glider manoeuvres and what settings to use ?

slope_dragon_x

There's some good starter information on slope aerobatics here, although it is by no means exhaustive.http://www.slopeaerobatics.com.....erobatics/ The best way to find ideal snap flap settings (for you) is to try it with different values.  You'll probably find that you want variable amounts depending on the conditions at the slope on the day. There are plenty of manouvres that are a combination of roll and loop that will get you started.  Try the rolling circle as a starter - not as easy as it sounds as you have to learn how to blend elevator with aileron during the rolls.  Also the downwind phase tends to get interesting and many people bottle it.  It's worth practicing that phase in isolation so that you get comfortable with it.

Gonesoaring2003 said:

slope_dragon_x said:

There's some good starter information on slope aerobatics here, although it is by no means exhaustive.
 Hi Slope D thanks for the link, I think that will keep me busy for a while! 

Interesting articals I have been serching the web for this info thanks, only one problem trying some of them manov's out with out trashing the Vector might thrash the voltj 1st.

Gonesoaring2003

Well maidened (is that correct for a 2nd hand model) my Vector 3 on Friday at Whitesheet – very windy, tried to throw my SAS Fusion off, but just came back straight over my head or straight down to the ground in front of me, next tried my Jazz Extreme (chevron covered in lam film) that just about penetrated but would end up behind me whenever not pointing into wind! Was thinking of packing up and going home, but decided I must be brave and try the Vec. WOW!!! Glad I was brave, how much fun?

The Vec flew straight out into mega lift, spent the next 20 mins flying around doing rolls and loops! then gained height to try the airbrakes - nose reared up and stalled, glad I'd tried that at height! Anyway flew half a dozen circuits then finally got it in low enough to land without the brakes – perfectly (maybe something to do with the 50 mphish headwind!) Got my heart-rate back below 150 and grabbed some food, then launched her again, but opened the ele comp menu first. dialled in double the original and left open.

Took her up high again and opened the crow, she just sat there hovering! Spent next 15 mins zooming about more rolls, loops, inverted and stall turns (need to get more rudder movement). Then brought her in for a first approach perfect landing using the brakes!Can you tell I was chuffed? My only regret was having to leave to be in time for the school run, but smile hasn't worn off yet!My thanks to Mike the Moose for his generously allowing me to buy her and doing a great job building her, to Hambone for designing a fantastic plane, to Enginetorque for his settings on RCGroups and to my dad for launching both times in obviously difficult conditions! 

Can't wait til next time.Alex  

slope_dragon_x

Gonesoaring2003 said:

and stall turns (need to get more rudder movement).   
Hi AlexI'm afraid you're going to struggle to get much out of the rudder, which is the only fly in the oikment with the Vec.It will become more effective as you move the cg back.  I've been flying mine at 107mm from the leading edge, which some find to be uncomfortable as inverted holds without any "down" stick and sometimes needs "up" stick to accelerate.  But at this setting I feel it is the equal of the Voltij for VTPR type stuff, but with an airframe that's easy to live with.