HoH Winter league

Rooster-X

Know what you mean Greg, It became very evident to me standing on that very small edge (in front of the little fence) on St Ferriol last year with a couple of French guys, until then the Cyril never struck me as being slow on the roll but that day coming in from a very powerful right side turn and with a strong right to left wind then trying not to touch the ailerons until you had to - certainly got the blood flowing. Not literally - but think perhaps that was just good fortune..

• 3 weeks later...

HoH Rd 4 this Saturday, if you want any F3F GBR stickers to support the expedition to Rugan, I will have some with me for your perusal, £3.50 ea. or three for a Tenner, various colours and sizes. Cheers Tom 

HoH R4 Winter League is ON tomorrow If you like your flying fast and freezing them this ones for you.Southerly winds gusting to nearly 40mph and an horrendous wind chill, this could be a case of last man standing wins! Cloud increasing as the day progresses, with snow hitting Fylingdales sometime in the afternoon. As there appears to be a window of clear air in the morning, I am calling the comp ON. How long we survive will depend on when the bad weather arrives. If you are travelling any distance, I will leave it up to you to view the forecasts for the journey home. Meet in the main car park at 9:30 Jon

Edited by Jon_E

Jon_E said:

HoH R4 Winter League is ON tomorrow...  ...If you are travelling any distance, I will leave it up to you to view the forecasts for the journey home. Jon
   Simon

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif Ouch......that sounds like an endurance test that neither this pilot, TX or RX cells can take - my FX-40 OS falls apart under 0 degrees, and Lifep04 is hardly ideal in sub-zero temperatures. A definite no-goer for me, so more G&Ts and red wine tonight wink.gifHope that the hard core campaigners have a great comp though clap.gif CheersGreg

Greg Dakin said:

so more G&Ts and red wine tonight wink.gif CheersGreg
Ill be at yours in 1/2 an hourgrin.gif

Sloper said:

Greg Dakin said:

so more G&Ts and red wine tonight
wink.gif
 CheersGreg
Ill be at yours in 1/2 an hour
grin.gif
 And you'd be more than welcome Rich, I'll chill the Chablis.....

Peter G said:

There are a couple of us coming down from bonnie Dundee. Whats the address Greg grin.gifConditions look good for the comp cool.gifTrip home not so much...
Better leave the T-shirt and shorts at home tomorrow thenlaughing.gif Alarm set for 3:30 eek.gif and looking forward to a good day out grin.gifGeorge

Peter G said:

There are a couple of us coming down from bonnie Dundee. Whats the address Greg grin.gif 
Excellent Pete - let's party, we can share the Bombay Sapphire, Schwepps and Lime slices with T9!!!!I'll PM everyone with my home address when I get a minute tongue.gifwink.gif Greg

Wow, that was cold! 

Still, 18 pilots all survived the freezing temperatures and increasingly bitter wind, to complete 8 rounds. Had it not been for the imminent arrival of the snow, I think they would have attempted more, although some onboard battery checkers were beginning to say enough! Great start to the day in bright sunshine and steady southerlies, slowly turned into an overcast day with increasingly strong winds.

Flight times however also improved, with over 25 sub 40's being recorded. The battle for the top slot eventually went to Mark Redsell, with Simon Thornton in second, and Martin Newnham third. Fastest time went Simon with a 33.24. Congratulations to them, and thanks to everybody for braving the conditions, and for making such a memorable day. 

1     Mark Redsell                   Freestyler4               6747.940
2     Simon Thornton               Fosa                        6692.130
3     Martin Newnham             Fosa                        6617.170
4     Peter Gunning                  Predator / Cyril        6393.640
5     Rich Bago                        Arsen                       6358.700
6     Paul Garnett                     Needle 124              6229.460
7     Paul Middleton                Vikos                       6211.590
8     Paul Upton                      Race M / Martinet    6168.900
9     Frank Hulton                   Willow                     5999.120
10   Ronnie Lampe                 Strega                      5969.000
11   Keith Wood                    Strega / Freestyler    5865.350
12   Tom Foreman                  Xenon / Artist          5734.990
13   Mark Treble                    Wizard Cmpct         5615.770
14   George Young                 Vikos                       5608.030
15   Jon Edison                       Extreme                   5450.280
16   RogerGroves                  Luna                        4136.470
17   Alan Scupham                 Strega                      3279.430
18   Paul Foster                      Skorpion                  3232.980

Full results and report to follow 

Cheers

Jon

Many thanks Jon and those who sat out at the centre in a wind chill that didn't get better than -13 deg C all day.  Particular mention to Mark R, Rich, Ronnie & Paul, but also to everyone else for just mucking in and keeping things moving.  

The conditions on the slope were some of the finest I have enjoyed for a quite a while - A really rewarding day's flying.  Mark was close to spot on all day, and thoroughly deserved the win.  The FS4 is looking good, as is Pengie's new Needle 124, and both the Fosa's were running very well.  

Gunga's Cyril also went well - I think there was a 35.xx in there somewhere. Martin & myself just left in time - the snow was starting to build up on the A1 as we headed south, but we managed to outrun it as we got further south, and it was a pretty easy journey after that - the snow is about to catch up again, but safely at home, so not bothered.   

Greg: you missed a cracker! 

Simon

Simon, Martin - good to see you guys up today, glad the trip was worth it. Those Fosas look a bit handy on the slope too.... Thank goodness the times were pretty quick - fingers would have dropped off in that cold if the flights were any longer!

Thanks  Jon, great job and to Mark R, Rich, Ronnie and Paul M on keeping everything moving along.  I think the rounds were taking around 25 minutes or so which is pretty good going. As per Simon's post fantastic days flying, it was also nice to the FS4 and Needle up against the clock. Well deserved win Mark. Thanks Martin

Well done guys delighted to hear that you had a great race! I didn't realise that the 'Kent Massive' was making the pilgrimage up north Simon - but I am relieved to hear that you've made it home safely.....very brave indeed!I feel a bit of a light weight now....Congrats to Mark for yet another victory, holding off the cream of the south to boot!!!Greg

great days flying guys, glad i made the effort to drive from the south coast...3.30am start...wish i could have made abetter show of the needle, im sure once i get settled with the setup it will be a quick tool, think i have sorted my wandering elevators out, bit of **** in the stick!!made for some interesting flights! also must stop cutting, thought i had grown out of that, last fligjt was a good un, would have been low 30s had tje air stay with me....happy with 38 though.nice to see the south and scottish massive,!! a very well done to Mark R on another win...roll on the next comp

Well done Mark, Simon & Martin. Couldn't get near those Fosa'a despite 2x35's, they looked great!Thanks to Jon for calling it on, the middle men and the new guy who buzzed loads.A fantastic day's racing and snow not too bad on the way home., happy days.Will sort some photo's tomorrow.